I have to visit more often . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 3, 2014.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    The few times I stop over at Rupp's Rafters, I end up asking myself why I do not visit more often.
    I generally like UK fans, respect their program . . . even if not their coach. But their fringe fans are funnier than any others in the sports world.
    They are so passionate that they literally go off the rails.
    They are rabid about this ESPN ranking and the fallout is downright hilarious.
    I guess I am happy to see Donovan ranked #1 . . . but it is somewhat meaningless. And quite honestly... I expected, and would have hardly argued if Cal took the top spot.
    But whoooa . . . . the Rafters are shaking.

Enjoy . . . .

https://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=202122598&mid=202122598&sid=888&style=2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    LOL @ "Donovan is such a great coach his whole starting five got drafted this year."
  3. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    This is comedy gold. Thank you for posting. I really liked this one:

"I'm all for having the 2nd best coach because he continues getting farther in the NCAA tournament than the 1st best coach EVERY SEASON SINCE 2008 (except 2013. But where was Billy D in 2008 and 2009?)

Now who is the better coach?"
  4. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    Some gems:

Florida is a perennial also ran Eddie Munster I mean Billy Donovan trying to leave for NBA every chance he gets..this is laughable [​IMG]

. . .

Donovan caught lightning in a bottle in 06 and he won it again in 07 because they all came back. Not to mention that was when UK was on a downward spiral. Do you realize that Cal would likely have several championships if his top players returned? Donovan gets to keep his talent. Cal has to practically put together a new team every year. That trumps any disadvantage that Donovan may have because Cal has to do it with mostly freshmen.

. . .

Lmao. If Donovan was the best he'd have at least one final four the past 4 years. Not even talking draft picks. Does he call joakihm, brewer, etc. every night before bed to say thank you?

. . .

At this point and time, with what you've seen over the last 5 years, and with Calipari finally at a marquee school, you made the wrong choice if you pick anyone other than Cal, and you probably lose your job because the board/alumni just watched you make a decision based on your stupid feelings.

. . .

Plus Cal does it with mostly freshmen and a brand new team every year which makes his accomplishments even more impressive.

Donovan needs a Junior/Senior laden team to have any success, just like Coach K.

. . .

Can some of you please tell me again how ESPN doesn't have an Axe to grind with Cal, and there for Kentucky?

. . .

Donovan is such a great coach his whole starting five got drafted this year.

. . .

Congrats. Donovan is a good regular season coach. Calipari is a better coach when it matters.

. . .

Total the past 5 years: Cal is 8-5 against Billy D. And has had MUCH more NCAAT success then him. Not to mention Cal has destroyed him in recruiting so much so that Billy D has gone to a mostly transfer model because he just can't compete.

. . .

Who would you rather have? No rational fan would say Donovan.

. . .

Hard to rank #1 for a coach who has 1 final four in last 5 years.... (shit, brad stevens has better tourney resume.)

I don't even think Donovan should be in top 2...I would prefer Pitino and Self over Donovan.
  5. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    I can practically smell the stupidity/moonshine/inbreeding oozing from those posts.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Lol. Keep em coming. Those are great.
  7. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +428
    "Plus Cal does it with mostly freshmen and a brand new team every year which makes his accomplishments even more impressive.

Donovan needs a Junior/Senior laden team to have any success, just like Coach K."

This sentiment is repeated multiple times on that thread, and it cracks me up. Poor Coach Cal is always stuck with teams full of elite 5 star freshmen, while Billy has the luxury of upper classmen. Whose fault is that, and how is it more impressive? That is a ridiculous way to spin the chosen philosophy of Mr. One and Done. What a stupid argument...even for them.
  8. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    This post is probably the most mystifying because it illuminates the SI writer's point by showing how great a coach Donovan must be in order to take a bunch of guys with average talent, somehow win 30 games in a row, and beat UK (filled with first round draft picks) three times in a season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    If there were no names in this thread I would have sworn you were talking about Alabama football.
  10. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I need to go over there more often myself. I do respect their program and I've met some really nice Wildcat fans in person. However, the fans on Rupp Rafters are a different story. Reading that board is pure comedy. There is no way those people are true fans. They are so delusional about everything...lol. If UK loses 2 in a row, they are doomed for the rest of the season. If Uk wins 2 in a row, they are good enough to beat anybody in the country. Doesn't suprise me one bit that they are having this type of meltdown over there.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  11. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +844
    "IMO UF severely underachieved in the tournament this year. If Donovan was the top coach they woulda won it all."

This one is my favorite.
    Florida went to the Final Four. . . lost to the same team that beat Cal's super-hyped crew, yet the Gators "severely underachieved".

To quote Kenny Banya: "That's gold, Jerry. Gold!"
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    That board is always pretty entertaining. I agree some of it is laughable, but I also thought some of it was fairly compelling.

I doubt either fan base would willingly trade coaches.
  13. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +844
    ^^ It is very easy to make a compelling case for Cal. The humor, of course, is in the fury with which these fringe fans do so.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Amazing. They consider their coach getting named the 2nd best in the nation to be a hate-filled and unpardonable offense.
    No one loves misery more than a roomful of Kats.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618

Very astute. Really. Most fan bases want to defend "their own" and want respect, but since Cal's arrival many UK fans have grown a massive satellite dish that searches for any POSSIBLE hint of disrespect. I know I've noticed this with myself at times. Never on this board though!:D
  16. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    If you want to understand Rupp's Rafters, the only thing you need to know is that BEH is considered an intelligent and reasonable poster over there.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    It's okay to love and defend your coach. It's silly that anyone gets angry about not being named the #1 coach out of some 350 out there.
  18. seabudgator

seabudgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Most Kentucky hoops fans on boards are like fans of any historically successful team - entitled, arrogant and paranoid about losing their "rightful place". (Gator fans are similar in football). If their team loses, they whine about refs, turn on their coaches/players. And heaven forbid a "lower" (historically) team beat them regularly- then the new money crap starts. The best part is such fans can't even enjoy themselves - losing diminishes them personally, winning games but not championships is still failing and championships are just an expected relief. In contrast, I enjoy watching Billy build teams every year, including NIT.
    Note that the same cat fans attacking billy were saying Billy would kill for the ky job a few years ago and seem to ignore the constant nba attention. They can't just be proud calipari is 2 in a stupid subjective poll! It must be a pathetic fan life if the success of others causes you to attack them or defend your team.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Correct on all counts, Seabud.

I particularly want to bring what you said about enjoying the game. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun, entertainment. I enjoy every season because I love the game and the Gators. The key is to understand that it's not life and death, and that each season and each team will be different. Some have a high ceiling, some a low ceiling. You can't be miserable about a team not being outstanding, or even good. Our NIT teams were still fun to watch, if you measured them against their potential. It was still fun watching Nick Calathes dazzle with his passing.

You also are right about whining about the refs. There are a couple of posters on here (every fan base has 'em) that whine about the calls EVERY EFFING GAME, win or lose. It gets old. There are, realistically, maybe 4 or 5 games a season where you can legitimately complain about the calls. I get it; there are bad calls against us. There are bad calls against our opponents. They happen, but typically even out, more or less, over the course of the game.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    It took me a long time to get to that frame of mind, but it is the secret to sports viewing nirvana. Well said. Enjoy the moments when they succeed and sigh when they come up short.