I guess that's why we run ad nauseum...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by NOTgaGATORanymore, Nov 16, 2013.

1. NOTgaGATORanymore

NOTgaGATORanymore Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    Better to punt it away than give it away.

[​IMG]
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,539
    Then, frankly, we should have bothered to run it more after we had 14.

Kelvin got like, what, 6 carries in the 2nd half?
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Fan's fault.
  4. NOTgaGATORanymore

NOTgaGATORanymore Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I was pleased with the team effort though, just a tough loss.
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    And what happened to Showers and Patton in the run game? Theoutside runs with them and then the inside runs with Kelvin/Mack were keeping USC off balance. Then in the 2nd half they completely disappeared.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,539
    Yep. We totally clammed up.
  7. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    We need to rescind Skyler's scholarship because the coaching staff clearly believes he's inept.
  8. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    People keep pointing to the INT and saying "See! That's why we didn't pass it!"

Those people don't know anything about good, strategic football. When you're passing the ball with a minute and a half left in the game, and you're down five, the other team can play the pass EVERY down.

Before that drive, SC was playing the run EVERY down. That's when you pass the ball. You have to surprise the defense. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp for a guy who obviously gets defense. He needs to think of it like this -- "What kind of play would I NOT expect right now if I was coaching the defense?"
  9. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    These are huge questions that sadly we will never get the answer to. It happens time and time again.

My theory is since we built up a massive 14-6 lead at half time the coaches decided to play it safe, eliminate all creative runs, and just sit on the lead with boring basic runs and wildcat.

This is why it is so hard to have faith in them. These problems are systematic. It transcends injuries and talent. It was there last season and it will be there next season. It takes copious amounts of experienced talent to overcome these problems and even then poor coaching will still cost us a few games.

I think WM will basically turn out to be a poor man's Mark Richt. His good seasons will be 10-3 type seasons. He will probably have a few 8-5 and 9-4 seasons mixed in between his occasional 10 win non-title seasons.
  10. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    That is one of the reasons I continue to harbor doubt about this staff's ability: they just seem to have a knack for getting away from what works.

Carolina obviously made adjustments, but why erase Patton and Showers from the game plan? Why not mix in a little play action, roll Skyler out, utilize the screens (that were working) more frequently, and press a little bit more?

I don't understand the logic behind getting away from what's working. Not throwing the ball much? I get that. That last drive showed why the staff didn't trust SM to go out and win the game; but to just scrap everything that worked early and bring a performance like that out onto the field for the final thirty minutes? I don't get it. I really don't.

Like the Georgia and Miami games, we were once again in position to win a game that we have nobody but ourselves to blame for the inability to pull it out.
  11. Denny_Crane_4_UF

Denny_Crane_4_UF Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    This staff is finished. Sorry, all faith is lost. Millions of dollars in salary for this game plan over and over again? Give me a break.
  12. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    This is partly true, but I think it's clear that Pease didn't trust Skyler to go out win the game. I could be wrong, but I got the message that he had basically zero confidence in his capability to run the offense.

We don't see what happens in practice every day. And the last thing you want, on the road, is a QB who thinks they can make all the throws; but can't. They were less conservative in their approach to bringing Murphy along. I would think that is a reflection of what they see every day.
  13. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    They have no gameplan on offense. They just run a play. Won't change at the line of scrimmage, won't ever throw deep down field and will run the same play over and over again. They were very creative in the first half but then went back into their loser mode.

USC gave this game away today. We snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. This game was served up on a platter for us. USC was flat and creating penalties just for the heck of it and we didn't capitalize on any of it.

They went for it on 4th down and didn't convert. Everybody at my house (about 10 people) men and woman all said "now go up top" on 1st down. What do we do? Of course run, run, run and never take a shot. USC got half their points by just throwing the ball up for grabs. You have to take chances on offense. The rules of the game reward you for taking chances. WM is risk adverse which does not work in football.
  14. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Normally a coaching staff doesn't wait til year 4 to bring in good offensive players.

But hey, we have a QB, a WR, and a RB committed, so it's all good, and soon we won't have to use a 5 pass gameplan out of dire necessity.
  15. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Whatever they see every day, they need to put on blinders because what they are seeing/doing is NOT working. If you don't trust a QB on scholarship to make throws then that is more of an indictment on you not the QB.

16. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    It looks like Mack is running in quicksand. He seemed to play well but he's so stiff and upright and doesn't seem to have more than one gear.
  17. drramer

drramer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Unfortunately, the one risk we took was a stupid one at a stupid time. 4th and 13 in your own territory in a 2 point game with over four minutes left and you throw to a defensive lineman…really
  18. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I thought it was the best call of the night. We may not have the got the ball back and if we did, it would have been with little time and would have been forced to pass. We tried a gimmick play that we just missed. No it was t a high percentage play but we needed to try something. It's not like we have much faith in our kicker to win a 2 point game anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Yep.
  20. baltovet

baltovet New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

My reply to that is "Elementary, Watson"
    How is it that our coaching staff couldn't figure that out long before the last 2 minutes. How about all of the other passes? Every one was well thrown and on target. The fact that several were not caught was not Mornhinweg's fault at all. The loss was an epic failure of the coaching staff.