I gotta be honest...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, May 15, 2014.

1. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    yeah, bd is such an underhanded type i wouldn't be surprised to see him sign at least 3 more scholarship players before anyone announces they are leaving. either you trust the guy or not.....sounds like not to me. nothing like stiring up some controversy for a story line.....typical journalist crap.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Good lord.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Maybe Harris should volunteer to pay his own way to make up for being such a dummy last year :p
  4. regist7

regist7 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Why is anyone assuming that a scholarship is being purged? Wasn't Kurtz on scholarship last year and now he, BD, and someone else just graduated? Additionally, a lot of the kids on the basketball team are doing extremely well academically, so isn't it possible one or more is on a full academic scholly instead of an athletic one or this kid could be on an academic scholly or combination pell grant and florida bright futures scholly since he has to sit out a year anyway and really doesn't have to be on an academic scholly. BD jr most likely didn't take up a scholly because a lot of schools allow the kids of employees to attend free or at a significant discount. There are a lot of ways things could be happening without someone losing a scholarship so why is anyone assuming the worse?
  5. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    The departed players are being accounted for when determining that we are over the limit. Still, you are right in that there are other scenarios in which a scholly could be freed.
  6. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    Not concerned at all. It will work out. It likely already has, but hasn't been announced.
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I agree.
    I just hate the timing of it.
  9. g8rmann

g8rmann Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    I don't mean to sound like Donald Rumsfeld here but there are a lot of unknowns here and it might all make a lot more sense if we had perfect information. I say it is best not to speculate too much based on too little information. It would seem that there a number of possibilities. A player might be eligible to go on academic scholarship. A player might be unable to continue his career due to physical injury. A player might be in a position to pay there own way. A player's eligibility is in question. Which one of these scenarios is the right one? I certainly don't know.
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    For someone who doesn't mean to sound like Donald Rumsfeld...that was spot on!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    So...if you admittedly don't have all the facts, why did you go and broadcast it to the world (where future recruits come from), when you may indeed be manufacturing the issue?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Present!:D
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Odds are decent that nothing more is known after things play out - leaving you in a position where there still may be a lot you don't know...

I'm not trying to call you out specifically, as I don't have a problem with the logic behind what you're saying here at all, but this is really only the type of logic used for one's own team. Rarely do you see this applied to others' situations.
  14. bullg8tor

bullg8tor Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    There is nothing about Billy Donovan that screams unethical. In Billy I trust until I know otherwise. How anyone could question this guy is beyond me?? We all perceive things different, but perception is not fact. In absence of fact, why do you allow perception to dictate your reality?
  15. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Huh?

Here are the facts:

We signed a transfer before announcing where or how that scholarship will become available .

I do not know those answers nor have I pretended to. I have not manufactured an issue, and have actually suggested that there likely is not one. My argument is that the timing of signing a player before addressing the circumstances of the departing scholarship will allow for a line of thinking that suggests Player A was pushed out. I do not like allowing for such conjecture... which I assure you, rivals and others will do. And though I'd like to think of myself as a brain child of all things.... I promise you, this would have been theorized and speculated without me.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Whether you feel the same way or not, bravo (as usual) for AKA's willingness to step out on a ledge and make a potentially unpopular statement.

Also, I think a lot of you are over-blowing the concept of there being "unknowns" involved in this situation. Sure, there may be a lot that is unknown right now. But there doesn't need to be forever. This isn't difficult for Billy to manage even from the kind of outsiders' perception that AKA is concerned with.

When someone loses a scholly, just say who it was and why. Here are some examples: "This guy, due to his injury, is on a different kind of scholarship..." "This guy, because of behavioral issues, will not be kept on scholarship anymore..." "This guy gets such good grades and is such a good teammate that he was willing to take an academic scholarship..."

If Harris gets the axe, then there really isn't any getting around things looking a little odd IMO. This would be lessened if it corresponded with a recent incident or something like that (academic ineligibility, an arrest, etc) - as these are examples of something that could have resulted in him losing his scholly even without the need for his scholly.
  17. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Again.... I am not suggesting I feel billy is doing something underhanded, but that the poor timing will allow this to be conjecture and fodder for recruits, rivals and others. I just think it is poor practice and one that welcomes unwarranted scrutiny to give out a scholarship before it has officially and publixly becomes available. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)
  18. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    ". . . . looking a litte odd."

This not only IS my point, it also proves it. I assure you, REM is not the only rival or fan who will feel this way. Any why would he have such opinion? Because of the timing of the circumstances would LOOK odd.

If we were recruiting this kid because Player A lost his scholarship, or is going to . . . why wait until after the transfer is landed to announce the departing player's circumstance??

Again . . . there may be very good reason, but the natural line of thinking, and the prevalent one among everyone outside the Gator Nation will be that Player A was pushed out, and if not for the new addition, never would have been revoked.

I can't say this often nor loud enough: I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT IS THE CASE, BUT RATHER THAT THE HANDLEING OF THE SITUATION MAY LEND ITSELF TO THAT BEING READLIY SPECULATED.
  19. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Ray would be flattered by this suggestion! :)
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I also think that the notion of a medical hardship/transfer is entirely misunderstood. Kind of like Adam Allen's situation, it isn't that a medical hardship means a kid can't play at all going forward; it means he is unable to compete at the level required of the institution giving him the scholarship. In the case of Allen, he could have probably played ball somewhere, but there was no way he could play at a SEC level. We aren't reneging on a scholarship or "purging" a kid at all. We are giving him a free ride to an education, but acknowledging that an injury has inhibited his ability to play for us on the court. He is free to go elsewhere and play, or to stay and get a free education.
    • Like Like x 1