I gotta be honest...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, May 15, 2014.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I am not a fan of these scenarios in which we are forced to purge someone's scholly. I didn't like how it went down with Larson, and I suspect I will not be a fan of this situation either. Billy is a stand up guy, but at the very least... It gives the wrong appearance when the scholies are lost AFTER we go over the limit. I really hope there is something we are unaware of that makes this more palatable, but whatever the scenario.. It will at lease LOOK reactionary and unfair. I know I will get blasted for this thread. . . But it does bother me.
    Anyone else?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Not going to blast you, but it's not like Larson was a model citizen. If its Harris, same can be said. At least Billy isn't pulling a Saban and forcing out guys who probably don't deserve it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    I think Billy learned his lesson when he wasn't giving out scholarships because we were full only to see someone transfer.

I don't like the idea of forcing someone out but I highly doubt that is what is happening. Don't really care what other people perceive us to be. We don't get enough media attention for people to care.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I understand that Larson nor Harris would be described as model citizens. But if their scholarships are going to be pulled, I think it makes sense to do so before you go over the limit. Otherwise as mentioned, it gives a bad perception. I have no idea if Harris is the scholarship in question but in theory…
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    And I do think we need to be aware of public, general perception… Because well, that's where future recruits will come from.
  6. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Larson was lucky to be let back into school, let alone on the bball team...him not coming back on scholly had nothing to do with roster management...additionally, people close to him used to post on here, and had no issue with how we treated him, in fact they were super grateful to BD for giving him a last chance....as for Harris, if it is him, he was given more chances than most by BD, no one to blame but himself if he leaves...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    Bullis .... I get all of that. But when the pulling of a scholarship coincides with signing a player that puts the team over the limit. A bad picture is painted.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,373
    I agree @aka. If you know ahead of time, you want to pull the scholly, and add the new ones from there. It doesnt look great the other way around. May not always be possible, but if you can, you should. I trust Billy did his best, but it still might look bad.

I think the fear of guys bolting early or transferring plays into this. its an unfortunate byproduct of modern college hoops.
  9. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    I do not think there will be any backlash, recruits or media, on this deal, however it plays out....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,884
    i am for one hoping Harris stays...both for selfish reasons and for him
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    It is only negative to rivals that want to use it as a negative. We have one here that will chime in. No one on here knows were each player stands as it relates to their scholarship. Lets let it play out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    We (the public) don't know the timing of any actions taken. Just like with C. Walker. The school cannot divulge personal info, especially medical info. A player could have told Donavan 2 weeks ago that he wasn't coming back.

It will all clear up before the fall.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    How do you know it has happened after we go over the limit? Foley has always been a stickler about oversigning. Odds are a scholarship has already been vacated, but we don't know about it yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    I agree with the general point aka is making. I do think the morals of the situation are easier to stomach if the lost scholarship belongs to Harris, considering both his past behavioral issues and the illogic of Billy "cutting" him to make room for Egbunu after all the nonsense the team went through with him over the last couple years.
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I don't know that, and neither does the general public. Which is kind of the point I'm making. It may, and probably is entirely reasonable… But could very well be perceived as othwrwise. If a guy was released or dismissed from his scholarship two weeks ago, or two months ago… Why wait until after we sign someone to make that known? Perhaps there are reasons, but in lieu of those… It simply paints a bad even if in accurate picture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    No one is paying attention to that other than Gator fans. I, for one, would not bat an eyelash if it happened at another program. What you really mean is that some (notably you) get a bad taste in their mouths thinking about a kid getting pushed out, without of course any knowledge that a kid is getting pushed out.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    What I am saying is that I get a bad taste in my mouth when the program I follow even gives the appearance and impression of wrong-doings. We live in a 'perception is reality' world, and this could not be more true than in the world of athletics . . . and more specifically, recruiting.
    I assure you, I am not the only one with this sentiment . . . though I will concede your point of likely being the most notable! :)
  18. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    How long ago would this scholly had to have been vacated so this "perception" wouldn't exist? Perception is not reality.
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I think a scholly should be revoked as soon as it is decided that it was not being earned/deserved. In my opinion, doubt is cast as to that being the determining factor when revocation coincides or follows an over-limit-signing.

Now . . . going with the conjecture that a player is losing his scholarship (versus willingly giving it up via an intended transfer), this is my line of questioning:

Why wait on pulling that scholarship or making that known, unless one is hedging bets so that either Player A is kept or Player B is acquired?

While there may be a good answer to that question . . . I do not have one. Which is why I contend that it paints an ugly picture of a kid being pushed out.

Say what you will, but if Harris for example loses his scholarship . . . there will be plenty of conjecture that he would have otherwise kept it if not for this transfer addition.

That may not be true . . .and it may be unfair, but it will be a rather natural line of thinking.

As for the suggestion that 'perception is not reality' . . . .well, I assure you that our program is very conscious of how it is perceived. . . by fans, media, general public, fellow programs and future recruits.

Go Gators!
  20. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    I don't think we know what is happening, so I keep my judgements until things play out.

In Billy I trust. I really don't care about other's perceptions.
    • Agree Agree x 4