I don't want this to come out wrong but what about next year's team?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,064
    Don't get me wrong because I root for our guys every chance I get and I will watch every game I can but with us so young, I was just wondering what you guys thought of what we will have for next year? I also think that this team has finally turned the corner and hopefully we can make a regional. I was hoping for Supers earlier this season but I didn't reallize how much we lost and how young we were going to be. Thanks ahead of time.
  2. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    What's coming out wrong? Florida is a very young team this year. It seems that they have finally strung some wins together, and hopefully they can keep it going.

Florida's problem is they lost a lot to the draft, and their pitching core is very young. Their talent overall is very young and inexperienced, so I guess the bright side is to look at the future because they will be very good in the near future.

They got some great prospects coming in this year, and will be loaded next year if those prospects don't enter the draft.

It seems they have finally clicked as a team, and what better time than now? I remember Georgia about 4-5 years ago that got hot around this time of the year, strung a bunch of wins together, won the SEC tournament, got a bid that way, and made it to the CWW. The future could look bright right now.
  3. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    The rumors have been that AJ Puk will come to school and MLB teams know that. He is big time, a top 50 prospect.
  4. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    This is exactly right.... It's not that we have a bad team or the staff can't get it done. But any team that lost as much as we did from our current roster and the commits that skipped college would have the same thing going on. This team is talented and you can see glimpses of it at times. Give them a little time... We will be fine.
  5. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    That's great! That's what they need though, the problem with recruiting in college baseball is that you can recruit them, but then they can defer to the draft. I mean its their decision, and that is fine but if you rely on those prospects coming in, and the all of a sudden, gone... It can really hurt your team.
  6. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    You have to balance your recruiting. You have to get top tier guys, but also talented guys who will
    Most likely come to school. Then you hope a few of the top tier guys end up ok campus.
  7. gator1986

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Yea well that was the problem with last years class I believe wasn't it? I think from what I remember we lost 7-9 people from the team to the draft, then our incoming class has quite a few top tier players deferring last minute to the draft too.

Your right you have to balance it out. Kevin does a really good job of that usually, and also can persuade those top players to come to Florida, and avoid the draft.
  8. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    The one thing we're still missing is a legitimate power bat in the middle of the lineup. The pitching is going to be fine, because it always is. Offensively, we've got guys at the top, and we have some solid complementary players, but I don't see that 15+ homer, SEC POY contender that other teams are afraid of anywhere on the roster. Find or develop that guy, and we're right back to being an Omaha contender.
  9. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    It's too bad we couldn't get Vogelbach to campus in 2011. That kid can hit the ball far.
  10. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Seems to me we ALSO lost a boatload of talent on the mound for this year due to injuries. Will any of those kids be back next year??
  11. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    They will be on paper, but we will see in the fall...
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,064
    Thanks guys...my son and I were talking about this team over the weekend and he said "we are going to be nasty in 3-4this years."
  13. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    We caught a huge break when Whitson came to campus, but since then we've had no luck in the draft. Every borderline guy has signed and we haven't gotten lucky with any signees. At some point that has to change.
  14. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Forget next yr. We need to sweep Mizzou this weekend, win more than we lose after that, host a regional and play out of our minds in the tourney!
  15. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Gushue is the one guy I could have seen developing into that power bat, but he's turned into more of a line drive hitter this year. He's having a decent season overall, but the sophomore year is usually when power hitters really break out. He's young for his class though since he enrolled early, so maybe he'll find it a year later than normal.
  16. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! We are one Tucker or Zunino or LaPorta from being a NC contender, imho.
  17. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +463
    I will say I'm mildly amused that the new diagnosis is that we desperately need a thumper in the middle of the lineup after hearing for the last year or so that the key to winning in Omaha was to ditch power and go small ball, small ball, small ball.

I mean, I agree completely with this new diagnosis. Power is nifty. But it was always a little odd to see fans insist that we were doing something wrong with a Tucker-Zunino core that had the best three-year run in program history.
  18. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +76
    You know that wasn't me saying that.
  19. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I'm confident that it wasn't me, either. I almost cried when Vogelbach signed with mlb.
  20. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Of course, of course. I should have made it clear that I wasn't implicating you or Doctor in that post.