I don't get it. Please explain to me why and how

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I can't look it up right now, but were they 70% run?
  2. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    By using clock and letting our Oline wear down opposing defenses we methodically slow the game down on purpose. This keeps the other guys offesne off the field and give our D a chance to stay fresh. Once we got Arkansas away from its run game we forced them to pass and the results showed.
  3. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    508 rush attempts and 357 pass attempts on the year so (breaking out my calculator) 60/40 rush heavy, roughly.

However, to be fair, Alabama blew out everyone they played that year except the goofy 9-6 OT game against LSU (the first time). Their average margin of victory on the year was something ridiculous like 26 points. So they were probably running a lot more in the second half of games by default (although you can say that about most teams who have a decent lead going in to the second half).
  4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    That's how Bama is even this year. They are balanced until the game is out of hand and then are heavy run. Whereas our base is moderately unbalanced and once we get a lead we are nearly exclusively run.
  5. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    For us, though, it's almost unfair to compare our offense pre-Tyler Murphy to post-Tyler Murphy. W're just fundamentally different and our passing game is a lot more effective. I absolutely believe we could win a championship the way we are currently constructed and running our offense and defense (I'm taking in terms of the big picture - I'm not sure we have the offensive playmakers to score enough against a stout defense, but we're really the only stout defense in the SEC at the moment).
  6. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    I've thought it was intentional and that it's great strategy. But I needed others to confirm my take. So I guess the critics are going to have to accept it or pound sand.
  7. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    As far as sustaining long drives, we had two drives of 75 yds that took 6 & 7 plays. Those two drives meant a lower time of possession for the game as opposed to the 10-12 play drives like we usually have.
  8. G8RKyle

G8RKyle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    If we ever wanted to catch the defense off guard all we'd have to do is snap the ball with greater than :10 on the play clock.
  9. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    It comes from Gatorzone.com

I should have expanded a bit more. You're right in and of itself it's not low, but when you throw the ball only 20-25 times a game it's certainly not as productive as a team that throws 30-40 times a game, especially when our rushing average is 4.1 which is low for the college game.
  10. wci347

wci347 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Because we are not getting large chunks of yardage per play yet every play takes lots of seconds to execute.