I don’t think UR fat & gay. I think UR fat & stupid.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Aug 2, 2013.

1. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    So tweets the muslim "scholar" Reza Aslan -- and that's one of his less offensive tweets. He's the fruitcake who wrote “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth”. Liberals rushed to his defense when he was questioned about his motivation for writing the book. What would motivate a muslim "scholar" to act like an angry 15 year old when tweeting?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/0...ar-real-potty-mouth-on-twitter/#ixzz2arv7Tqrn
  2. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    Cool - Fox is doubling down on going after this guy.
    No bias there - none.
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,248
    So after the interview went south they actually went through several years of tweets to try and discredit him?
    If that's what actually happened any future criticism by Fox of Obama targeting people would seem to be rather ironic.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,719
    Sounds like he would fit right in around here.
  5. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Interesting view point on Askan:
    http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/07/29/scholarly-misrepresentation/

Another interesting read:
  6. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    studies of Christianity, Islam, Judaism on college level(bachelor, masters, doctoral) would be extensive study of the history of those religions which go back a couple of thousand years.

so he had his degrees in theology with emphasis on the history of some religions

is that really any different than getting a history degree(bachelor, masters, doctoral) with an emphasis on some religions?
  7. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,290
    When he used the word prominent referring to himself at the end of the video, it seemed to have negate any points he may have made previously. He also was rather defensive....red flag.
    In case anybody doesn't know, he has a Ph.D
    • Like Like x 1
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    Is this supposed to justify Fox's 10 minutes of repeatedly questioning his motives for writing the book? And Fox wonders why people don't take the channel seriously. When you can get more informative interviews from the Daily Show you have real issues...
  9. northgagator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    You can get a degree in Divinity and have a very good education on the religious beliefs and practices and still have little to no academic credential's on history of era (or eras) of when a faith or faiths were founded.

A masters ir doctorate degree in history requires a tremendous amount of research in libraries and out in the field (archeological/historical fires). It also can required a degree or a high level of proficiency in foreign and ancient languages (Greek or Latin for example).

A person can be a ordained minister, priest, or rabbi and still can be considered a ranked amateur on the historical background or roots of their faith.
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,910
    All this attention has put him on the best sellers list

At least he is smart though, unlike the con nitwits that have received fame and fortune from liberal criticism
  11. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,359
    In the lib world getting attention with lies is the smart thing. Being honest to get it is a conservative thing.
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,213
    From north's link.....What about that Ph.D.? As already noted, it was in sociology. I have his dissertation in front of me. It is a 140-page work titled “Global Jihadism as a Transnational Social Movement: A Theoretical Framework.” If Aslan’s Ph.D. is the basis of a claim to scholarly credentials, he could plausibly claim to be an expert on social movements in twentieth-century Islam. He cannot plausibly claim, as he did to Lauren Green, that he is a “historian,” or is a “professor of religions” “for a living.”

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=267388#ixzz2auihSUs5
  13. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,290
    The point is he said ad nauseam in the interview he has a Ph.D. After the first couple times it became redundant. When someone verbalizes their qualifications to that magnitude I have to ask myself, is he trying to convince me or himself?
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

Smart, as in con . . . artist, albeit a nicey, nice one ?

Yeah, I thought his incessant and mostly unprovoked protestation and exploration of how great he was in the "interview" (interviewer was horrible, still) was a bit too much, if not in fact, an unfurled and flapping mightily, red flag.

Which we find out afterwards, it was.

So, as suspected, his book is just another rehashed rehash vis: the quest to make irrelevant and secular, the historical Jesus.

Yawn.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. northgagator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    I see that you are very use to the softball slow pitch interviews that the LSMN gives Obama and the rest of the Dens.
    Where is the same comment when the LSMN grills Repubs and Cons?
    Do you have the same objections when the 60 Minutes team ambushes a guest?

I did some research on Anslan and I am sure L Green if Fox did too. She saw more than a chink in his armor and she was going to open it more and expose her guest. This is standard practice for legit reporters. They don't want to report or discuss what us already public or common knowledge. They want a story. What Green may not of counted on was Aslan being crafty enough to turn the tables on her.

Why discuss a book when the bigger story is about a an Iranian who was a Muslim, was a converted Christian, and returned Muslim who wrote a book about Jesus ?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    She has no purpose in questioning his ability to research and write the book other than the fact he is a Muslim. Had she researched his background with the intent to question his qualifications she would have swatted his questionable claims. Well, maybe she did and she is just that slow that she couldn't rebut his talking points (easy as it would have been to do).

I have no problem with hard hitting interviews. I do have a problem with her style of interviews targeting the irrelevant.

If she wanted to conduct a tough interview she could have:
    1. Started with why he chose to write this book as a Muslim (taken his answer and moved on),
    2. Questioned his academic qualifications (I disagree that his degrees preclude him from claiming to be a historian),
    3. Delved into the content of the book

She couldn't let go of number 1 when it should have simply been an interesting tidbit, not 3/4 of the interview.
  17. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    He went on and on puffing about his status as a scholar. I would have to say his tweets are not scholarly. Even if he disagrees with someone, to come off sounding like an angry pre-teen is strange.

This idiot sounds more like a fast food worker than a "scholar."
  18. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Yep. His academic qualifications as a historian or sociologist (of religion) are not really up for debate. How good of one he is, that might be a different story. But he is clearly qualified to call himself a historian (and one doesn't need to have a degree anyway to be one). He's recognized and works as such at a very reputable university. This ain't the U of Phoenix we are talking about.

I just think it's odd that somehow his converting back to being a Muslim after living as a Christian for years somehow makes him open to some automatic suspicion, or as her demeanor was suggestive of, an affront for him to study Jesus. Academically speaking, anyone can study Jesus and do a damn good job at it; one does not have to be Christian to do so.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    that does seem like it. Fox looked ridiculously bad on that interview. So now it's rushing to pull out anything it can. "Oh, yeah, well he once tweeted ...."
  20. northgagator

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Wait a minute. His credentials are not complete.
    He did not list staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

How is he qualified for writing a book about who Jesus was?

I did get this from wiki
    If I am not mistaken his Philosophy in Sociology was probably not focused on the study of ancient Middle East history that would require being able to translate ancient Greek, Latin, Egyptian, Hebrew, and Aramaic. Also it is not focused on the study of the ancient history of the Middle East.

Also, his list of publications do not suggest that he delved into this type of subject matter deep enough to be called an expert on the life and times of Jesus.

I am not saying that Aslan is not well read. He probably has read a lot on the Middle East history. The problem with this approach is that he is taking someone else's work that could be flawed.

I would rather an expert who is recognized for his body of work in the life and times of Jesus.

If I am not mistake he is currently a writer and is not actively teaching at any university. Yes did get a degree of Divinity at Harvard but the other schools he attended are not name droppers especially the "University of Iowa's Writers' Workshop"

Actually his own religious experiences give him firm footing to be considered and expert in the differences between Christianity and Islam.

Really? To do a good book on the life and times of Jesus will take someone who was emersed in that field of study. There are too many factors for the shade tree writer to do a good job here. The Middle East for a long time was the cross roads of the world. Many empires, migrations, religious movements, changes in languages, political intrigue, and religious/political upheavals have muddied the waters. Too many lies, legends, red herrings, and missing links. Fortunately archeology research is still going on and new information currently is made public that debunks or reinforces current beliefs. Knowing a religious faith is one thing that Aslan has. Knowing this is the type of background is what Aslan does not have.

[QOUTE]one does not have to be Christian to do so.[/QUOTE]
    Many people including me agree with this statement.