I am so ashamed

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by CRIMDEFgator, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Dieagator, you reminded me of something.

I have not lived in Florida for over 50 years. In various parts of the country, at various times, I will see people wearing Gator gear. Even if I didn't already know, I could make a lot of money betting on how the Gators had done the previous year--if anyone would bet me. I always go up and ask them "are you a real Gator?". I do it for two reasons. 1. I really want to connect with Gator fans, and 2. I want to make faux and bandwagon fans confess.

I have been told by family in Jacksonville, that it is easy to predict the fortunes of FSU by how much Seminole gear is on display around town. Same in Virginia with VATECH (otherwise known as VA Polytecnical Instituue and State Univ. (VIPPYSUE); the national bass fishing champs).

Maybe the OP is pouting because he doesn't feel comfortable wearing his Gator gear this year. His problem. OTH here in SoCal I have broken mine out publicly the past three weeks. If anyone were to question it, I will just tell them "It is Great to be a Florida Gator." Always.

Don't want to get too long winded, but referring to another thread. Since I left UF after two years to go into Navy flight training, can I actually call myself a Gator? Does marrying a UF alum, and paying tuition for a kid who is a UF grad help my cause? Just kidding. I don't really care what people say, I have been a Gator in my own mind since 1950.
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    Never said Meyer was a bad, or even a good coach. IMO, he is second only to Saban in the nation. But it helps when you have all those advantages coming in. FWIW, the same analogy applies to Spurrier in 1990 as well.

It's one thing to come in with the red carpet treatment to see your Ferrari purring on your driveway, fresh from being lovingly serviced by the dealership to go on a wide open stretch of highway in west Texas. It's another to come in with people throing tomatoes at you as you slide in the back door to walk to your Ferrari that is missing a few plugs, needing an oil change about 20,000 before, and driving out in downtown Houston during rush hour.

They are both Ferraris.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    And yet 8-5 after finishing 3d in the nation is cause for slitting wrists? Gotcha!

He is, but Meyer wouldn't be going 9-4 with this team, either. He went 8-5 with a team far healthier than this team.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    Let's see which of our depleted teams had the most to work with:

First, let's look at rosters (players with at least three games played):

Year-------Seniors------Juniors------Sophs-----Freshmen----Lost Starters

2002................15..............26...............19...............29...............12
    2003................17..............21...............17...............39 (!)...........13
    2004................17..............11...............23...............17...............13
    2007................11..............13...............28...............16...............13
    2010................19..............13...............11...............23...............12
    2011................11..............13...............22...............21...............12
    2013..................8..............14..............12................15...............13+

Next, the draft, by round:

Year...........1st......2d.......3d.....4th......5th.....6th......7th.....Supp.....Total

2002................1........3........0........2.........1........1.........0.........0..........8
    2003................1........1........0........2.........2........1.........0.........0..........7
    2004................0........2........2........0.........0........0.........1.........0..........5
    2007................2........0........1........1.........0........1.........3.........0..........8
    2010................3........3........0........1.........1........0.........0.........0..........8
    2011................1........1........0........0.........1........0.........1.........0..........4
    2013................2........1........1........1.........2........1.........0.........0..........8

Starters (min 3 starts):

Year----------Seniors-------Juniors------Sophs-----Freshmen

2007....................7...................7................6..............5
    2013....................8.................14................7..............2

The 2007 numbers were nowhere what you claimed, but it is clear the 2013 started more seniors and juniors than did the 2007 class. The difference between the two classes is the sophomores. The 2007 class played many more sophomores than the 2013 class.

Two of whom was Tim Tebow, the Heisman Trophy winner, and Percy Harvin, who was probably a greater player than Tebow.

Give Tebow and Harvin to Pease and let's see the difference. For that matter, let's look at the QBs:

2002: Grossman (with a bad attitude)
    2003: Leak (a true freshman)
    2004: Leak (SEC's top passer)
    2007: Tebow (Heisman Trophy winner)
    2010: Brantley (ultimate square peg in round hole)
    2011: Brantley/Brissett/Driskel (train wreck)
    2013: Driskel/Murphy (train wreck II)

Easiest coaching job with quarterback, in order:

Easiest coaching job with defense, in order:

Year--------Total Defense-------Defensive Coordinator

2013..................8th...........................Durkin
    2011..................8th...........................Quinn
    2010..................9th...........................Austin
    2002................25th............................Thompson
    2007................41st............................Strong
    2004................42d.............................Strong
    2003................51st............................Strong

Schedule:

2007 Opponent------W/L record---2013 Opponent------W/L Record---Better (guess)
    LSU..........................12-2............LSU.........................7-2..............2007
    Georgia.....................11-2............Georgia....................5-3..............2007
    Tennessee.................10-4............Tennessee...............4-5..............2007
    Auburn........................9-4............Arkansas.................3-6..............2007
    Kentucky.....................8-5............Kentucky.................2-6..............2007
    W. Kentucky................7-5............Georgia southern.......FCS..............2007
    Vandy.........................5-7............Vandy.....................4-4...............Wash

Ole Miss......................3-9............Mizzou.....................7-1..............2013
    USCe..........................7-6............USCe.......................7-2..............2013
    Florida State................7-6............Florida State.............8-0..............2013
    Troy...........................8-4............Miami.......................7-1..............2013
    FAU............................8-5............Toledo.....................6-3..............2013

Total.......................95-59 (.617)...............................60-33 (.645)

This only screatches the surface.
  5. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    LOL right back at you if you think even 1/3 of the folks screaming for CM's head are being "constructive". In fact I've seen very little constructive criticism from that crowd. Of which, I guess you are self affiliating yourself with.

Many of us who are still supporting Muschamp realize that for better or worse (definitely worse) he is learning on the job. He has done a lot of things very well, but some things not so well.

The screamers claim there are no excuses. They don't care that UM left a "broken team" in UM's own words. They don't care that we are changing offensive philosophies which is requiring different types of players than what we have. They don't care that this is the third or fourth OC these kids have had. They don't care that it is the third year for our HC, the year that nearly all HC's have bad years. They don't care that nearly 1/2 the O starters are out for the year.

By darn it... they deserve better! We are UF dang it all! We should win 10 games just by throwing our helmets out on the field!

Heads must roll!
  6. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I would honestly appreciate some links to support the bolded statement. I have searched newspaper archives and can't find any articles that state or suggest that Dickey supported vacating UF's SEC title.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    In fairness, Stonewall, I don't either. Just remember some things that he said back then, when I was there. Whether it was out of loyalty to Woodruff or not, I cannot say. I can certainly understand the loyalty, however.
  8. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    GREAT! Let's give CWM next season but with a clear definition of what he needs to do to stay. Is that fair? Is asking to at least get to ATL once out of four years too much?
  9. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    According to this, the 2007 class played one less sophomore than the 2013 class, right? Or am I reading something wrong here?
  10. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Everyone keeps saying this whole who do we get like next year there will be a difference. There will be the same coaches next year so why not find them now.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    You are looking at starters, rather than all sophomores that played in games.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    Look, in 2013, Florida lost a dozen starters before the season began, then lost several more to injury during the season.

In 2014, we stand to lose only five starters, and being that ALL our backups are getting playing time, our team should be MUCH improved. Consider the following regular seasons:

Spurrier:

Year------# Lost starters-----W/L

1991.................5.................10-1
    1992...............12...................8-4
    1993.................7.................10-2

Meyer:

2006.................8.................12-1
    2007...............13...................9-3
    2008.................6.................12-1
    2009.................4.................12-1
    2010...............12...................8-5

Muschamp:

2011...............12..................6-6
    2012.................5................11-1
    2013...............13+.................6-6 (est)

See the pattern? Jessies and Joes. It's not always about the coaches. if Muschamp goes 8-5 next year with a loaded, experienced team, then he needs to go.
  13. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    The derp is like the tar baby, Wormwood. The more you fight it the more you get stuck. I'm ready to hole up in the briar patch until the worst of it is over.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    MoI, it's absolutely uncanny how so many presumably intelligent people cannot understand this most basic of concepts. In warfare, if your battalion that has 50% attrition goes up to a battalion that has only 10% attrition and loses, no one blames the commander of the losing battalion. If you go into a biker bar with three friends and confront a dozen drunken, belligerent Hells Angels, no one expects you to come out without cuts and bruises (if not on a stretcher).

It ain't rocket science...

But what is a derp?
  15. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    Not to be critical but the attrition of combat units effects how many soldiers they can put on a battlefield. We have not been so attrited that we cannot field 11.
  16. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Ahhhhhh! Now I got it. Thanks.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    Football teams have 85 players, not eleven. Nonetheless, it is a good point. Let's put it another way.

Battalion A is at full strength with an experienced unit that have served together on many previous battles, and have shown to know how to work as an integrated team.

Battalion B is at 50% strength, with a lot of the experienced Ranger-qualified soldiers and NCOs, and recently replaced the other 50% with fresh AIT graduates.
  18. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Derp is obtuse hysterics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_zSos8w_I
  19. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    It does not work that way. Meyer recruited Tebow. Muschamp is the one who burned both RS of Driskel and Brissett, which was a terrible terrible move and guaranteed that the backup would transfer. He then tried to force JD to be a pocket QB which hurt him a lot. Also Muschamp is the one who missed out on a bunch of good QBs forcing him to sign 2 subpar QB recruits which are of no help to us this season and probably never will contribute for us (Skyler and Staver).

Meyer recruited Harvin.....while Muschamp failed to get a top WR until last class. He missed out on Diggs and Agholor. That's on him

Let's take a look at the 2007 gator depth chart:

QB:
    Tebow true SO
    Newton true FR

RB:
    Moore JR
    Manson JR

WR:
    Caldwell SR
    Cooper true SO

WR:
    Murphy JR
    Nelson SO

WR:
    Harvin SO
    Fayson SO

LT:
    Trautwein SR
    Johnson FR

LG:
    Tartt: JR
    Pouncey: true FR

C:
    Miller: SR
    Pouncey true FR

RG:
    Meddler SR
    Hurt true FR

RT:
    Watkins JR
    Gilbert true FR

Defense:

DE:
    Cunningham: true SO
    Lemmens: true FR

DT:
    McMillan: SR
    Alford: SR

DT:
    Estopiñan: JR
    Pouncey: true FR

DE:
    Harvey JR
    Dunlap true FR

CB:
    Haden true FR
    Rickerson FR

CB:
    Anderson true SO
    Wondy true SO

FS
    Wright: true FR
    Jackson: SR

SS
    Joiner: SR
    Monroe: SO

LB:
    Jones: FR
    Hicks: true SO

LB:
    Spikes: true SO
    Stamper: SO

LB:
    Doe: true SO
    Finch: true FR

We were a very young team. The offense was great despite its youth. The defense was extremely young which is why we struggled. 7 out of our 11 defensive starters were either true freshmen, RS freshmen, or true Sophomores. That is unheard of. Of the 4 defensive starters that were not FR or SO, 3 of those 4 starters had backups who were either true FR or true SO.

On offense, just 2 of our starters were true SO (our most important 2 however), but 9 of our 11 backups were either true SO or true FR. Every single backup OL was a true freshmen.
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

Because you refuse to see it, and here you are spouting the same stuff over and over and over even though it's been pointed out ad nauseum that it's been three seasons now and this football program is not just teetering on the edge, it's already slid over the top edge and is sliding downwards.

As much as it's been explained about the trend of meltdown football we've witnessed under Muschamp, all his defenders do is just repeat the same stuff like a tape recording. And every "third year is bad" for a new coach"? That's easily debatable.

Thios meltdown football is a trend with this coach. We didn't have all the starters out for last year's UGA and Louisville games or even for this year's Miami game. Let that sink in. That's the point as to why this won't get any better next year.

For every person saying something emotionally negative about Muschamp there appears to be two Muschamp defenders who jump down the throats of people who are offering legitimate critiques of Muschamp.

That said, I'm not going to get into a tit-for-tat pissing match over this this.

I've said what I think about Muschamp, I've been respectful of the man but also offered legitimate concerns for not retaining him.