I am so ashamed

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CRIMDEFgator, Nov 5, 2013.

1. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
  2. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    The thread title reminds me of the Looney Tunes cartoons when Sylvester the cat's son would say "Father, I'm so ashamed" after he let the kangaroo kick his ass.
  3. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    Give him 14 and if he doesn't get it done then can his arse.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    There are dozens of things that can impact the success or failure of a season that are out of the head coach's control. The scapegoat mentality, although as old as mankind, never ceases to amaze me.

"Fire Muschamp! He sucks!!" So we hire someone else, and if he is saddled by attrition, injuries an unusually tough SOS, or any combination of the three, and finish 8-5 (this seems to be the standard for "program being run into the ground" at Florida), then we ned to fire him and get someone else! And then someone else!

Finally, we have another coach come in to inherit a team with only five new starters, a deep bench of future NFL stars, a great, experienced quarterback, and an easy schedule, finishes the year 9-2 or 9-3, and everyone calls him a savior. He gets the full support of the Gator Nation, kicks butt with an even DEEPER, STRONGER team the following year, and his considered a god.

The third year comes, and he falters, going 9-4, but he is cut a lot of slack because of what he did before, so it's all good.

Truth or fiction?

One thing for sure. If I a prospective head coach for Florida, or any top team, I would make damned sure that (a) I get an experienced QB that is ready to buy into my system; (b) I get a team that loses only 5-6 starters, and has a deep bench, (c) I'll take a look at the schedule to see if we miss the top teams in the SEC West, and have three cupcakes OOC, along with a sub-par Florida State, and (d) To make sure I am NOT replacing a "legend."

If three of the four (or better) checks out, I jump at it. If none of the four hits, I would look elsewhere.
  5. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Why....you mean I talk about Gator football on a Gator Message board? What a novelty!
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I get what you're saying about the circumstances Meyer walked in to but he's done this four times. It's not an accident or even a product of fortuitous circumstances when you do that.
  7. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Sad, sad thread! I wish we had fans who could "weather the storm". Actually we have a lot of those great fans but the "fence sitters" need to go!
  8. jaxr127

jaxr127 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Completely irrelevant... no. However I do believe we will hover in the 7-6 to 10-3 range for the next 5-10 years. We wont be an annual contenders for a long time in my honest opinion. Muschamp will continue to do just enough to not get fired and have most of Gator nation support him.
  9. jaxr127

jaxr127 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Meyer is 10xs the coach Champ will ever be. His teams are consistently good at all 3 phases of the game. Plus 9-4 after a NC is pretty solid. Champ is about to go 6-6/5-7 in year 3 and you want to say Meyer falters at 9-4(cue the excuse making). Meyer is a complete jerk but the man is a beast when it comes to coaching.
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    That 2007 roster was literally 70% FR and SO with almost all of the starters as FE and SO. 9-4 was impressive with that squad. Muschamp probably would have went 4-8 with that young roster.

2013 UF was much more experienced than 2007 Florida.
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,387
    There is no way to know this yet. In year 3 of his HBC career, no one thought Urban would be what he now is.
  12. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    Some people need a hug. Others need a pacifier. This poster needs both.
  13. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    So, you are "ashamed" to have picked the Gators to be the team you hope will win everything? If so, why not switch teams and start rooting for a team that will make you "proud," like Alabama (for now at least)?

I just don't understand how anyone can be "ashamed" or "proud" about how some other people play a game. What's there to be ashamed of or proud of? That you are bad or good at picking teams to like?
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125

Disagree.

A poster said it perfectly in another thread... "when the wheels come off the bus in season #3, you don't deserve a season #4"... period. 113th offense in the country? A rapidly vanishing elite defense? One of the best special teams units in the nation to one that can't even decide who's going to punt and kick every week? An offense that hasn't been ranked in the top 100 in three years under two different OC's?

The evidence is right there staring us in the face. This won't stop with another year, it will only result in another year of frustration.

As much as I personally like Muschamp, the trend is there and obvious. This kind of meltdown football is not going to end in 2014 with WM as HBC and we should cut our losses after this season and go ahead and get the transition year blues out of the way now.

We should let him finish the season and even the bowl if he wants to, as I see no reason to humiliate him either (as Kiffen was). Muschamp tried hard but he was just way in over his head.

I appreciate his hard work and efforts but he just isn't the man for the job.
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125

LOL

So those who accept mediocrity somehow have the market cornered on fan class and loyalty?

I myself respect those who aren't lemmings and can think for themselves and offer constructive criticisms when needed. Most of the people here, like myself, who want a change at HBC after this season do not harbor ill will towards Coach Muschamp or are tearing him down, but they honestly believe he's just in way over his head.
  16. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    I am embarrassed this thread exists.
  17. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    I'm not sold on Muschamp, but he deserves another year. BTW , my degree came under Pell; I know thin!
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Agreed.
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    What are you even talking about, huh? Do you know? The University's job is not to win championships so you or anyone else feels better about wearing a tshirt. I don't talk a lot of BS. starting a thread saying "I'm so ashamed" is BS(sorry OP). Reinforcing a thread like this is BS. We all hurt when the team loses but have some perspective for god sake. This will be a great learning institution whether or not our team ever wins another football game. What we produce as a university is hardly tarnished, nor improved greatly, by whether or not we beat our rivals in a football game.
  20. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +512
    Post like this and fans like this is why opposing fans hate us. Little cry babies.