I am looking to shred fat, I am lifting and doing cardio..

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by dadx4, Jun 29, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    So far I have lost 17lbs. I am watching what I eat a lot more and I am lifting 5-6 days per week, 4-5 cardio as well. Just 95 more lbs to go and I will hit my goal. I am using free weights for lifting, just alternating major muscles over a 4 day period. Cardio I am using eliptical and doing the "calorie goal" of 1,000 every time I do it. I started on lvl 11, currently using lvl 12, thinking of going to lvl 13...I started at 306 and I am at 289, I would like to be at 220 range come my birthday which is in November. With an ultimate goal of 190. I am 6' 1". When I was thirty I was very cut and I was at 195...that was 15 years ago.... :ninja:
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Those are some lofty goals, my friend. That's almost 70 pounds in 4 months! While it could be done, it's my opinion that you won't be doing it in the healthiest nor the most sustainable way.

I'd cut the weight training down to 3 days/week and only use the big compound lifts (Squats, Deadlift, Bench, etc). You need to recover.

I'd cut the cardio down to 2-3 days/week.

Stay vigilant in the kitchen.

Make that 220 goal for the following birthday. 70 pounds over 70 weeks. You'll be lighter AND stronger.

This needs to be a change in lifestyle, not a "diet".

My. $0.02
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    I don't see me getting there either, reallistically if I am below 240 I will still be happy.
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    It's going to be nice for me come next summer that I can take off my shirt at the pool or beach and not be embarrassed. It's been a long time since I have done that.
  5. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Right on, man. Goals are very important. Long term and intermediate.

Just be honest with yourself on what your goals are. Then be honest in assessing how long it will take to achieve them. Anything else will result in failure and 300#s once more. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    I have actually done it before with losing 50lbs, this one is more daunting but I am doing the same thing now that I did then, it will just take longer.
  7. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Nice work! So you were at 350?
  8. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,498
    Terrific post. Going crazy is a prescription for injury and lack of long term success. Dad...dude. Fifteen years ago you were one hundred pounds lighter. You know what you are shooting for. You have been there. Relax a little. There is tremendous advice
    right here in these posts which will guide you to the goal line. Biggest loser..is a loser.
    Back off the carbs...and dairy...more good protein and protein drinks...more real vegetables. The comment on if it doesn't spoil on the counter, you know it is loaded with preservatives is brilliant. Right on. I have even more respect for those giving you advice than I did before...and this was a pretty tall order. Terrific.
    I am starting again on light cardio and weight training. This last year with all my family problems took me away from what I was doing. Restart. I want to lose some weight also. 222 at 24.....250 at 65 plus. Fortunately I am a little taller and can spread my mistakes over more real estate. Saul is a wild man and works like he is going into the NFL. I am doing more machines and elliptical than free weights. I am trying to keep my arms attached to my body as long as possible. Lol. :ninja:
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    nope, 306 was my high. The fattest I have ever been. freakin' nasty.
  10. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    lol
  11. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    I have been lifting since I was 16 and continued to do so until about 30...grr. I have been off and on since. It is time to rededicate myself for me and my kids. I want to be here to see grandbabies if my kids have them. They are still way to young for that right now. lol
  12. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Don't go back, man!

I just want to point out that whatever you did to lose 50# the last time, obviously didn't work, so don't do that again. ;)
  13. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    I must admit most my friends think I'm crazy too.

They don't understand what in training for, I merely tell them life. They laugh it off.

But hey I've got to be passionate about something.

New numbers as I maxed recently

Weight: 210
    Height: 6 ft 1 1/8

DL: 405
    Squat: 395 (parallel or lower)
    Bench: 285
    OHP: 165 (lagging, but I always do it after benching)
    BF% ~13% (however since my last measurement my gf had a birthday and she has 3 families, mom, pops and mine, so 3 days of full pigging out with cake and steak :) so I might be a bit higher near 15% )

Goals are

DL : 495
    BP: 315( once I reach 315 I'll just rep that out, no need to go toooo crazy)
    Squat : 455 (again reps after this weight)
    OHP: 225 (optimistic )

BF% irrelevant, once I get those numbers while I stay under 16%, I'll cut down to 10-13%

Also I might to hit up zo for some speed training, my speed is pretty pathetic :( (compared to my numbers)
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Good lifts saul. Good goals too.
  15. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Additionally I just want to restate that losing weight starts at the kitchen :)

And there's nothing better than a fat guy eating well and a skinny guy beefing up.

Other things I'm trying to work on:
    Rebounding, I can abuse my weight and strength in the post but god damn everything I cannot rebound

Route running, intramurals are comin up soon :)

I love training people. I'm not certified and I don't act like I am. However I do have some success stories. 2 of my best friends, 1 with a cutting goal and 1 with a bulking goal. My gf is one of those really fit women we see near the weights not the cardio bunnies.

Also I've never gotten paid to train :( but would love to
  16. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Thanks man. I always lifted, but only started deadlifting in may. Got a coach to show me form and I took it from there
  17. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,097
    Rebounding is as much feel as it is strength and technique. You've got to know not only how to box out, tricks to box out, and possess the strength to box out (all teachable), but you also need a 'sense' of where the ball will go (unteachable).

Casey Prather-like quick-ups don't hurt either. ;)
  18. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    That's exactly what I'm talking about, my boxing out is amazon because of my strength + years of soccer and playing wr, but I jump up at the wrong time, and usually the ball goes in a direction opposite of me
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    As a certified trainer who gets paid to train people trust me when I say the certification is nearly meaningless. The only people who have ever asked about my certification are other trainers. And the amount of info I use from that cert is tiny compared to my years of experience and other sources that are easily accessible to just about anyone. The only reason I will renew my cert when its up is if I want to continue working in a commercial gym. If my business goes a different way I may just let it lapse.
  20. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Honestly that's what I thought. And kinda what It seems like as PT's vary so much in knowledge.

I did hear there was a cert only attainable through a 4 year program. Jeff Dillman type stuff.(S&C coaches )