I am looking to shred fat, I am lifting and doing cardio..

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by dadx4, Jun 29, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    already, busting my butt right now. Just wondering if there was a safe way to "speed up the process."
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    The problem with most people's idea of weightloss are generally in 2 main features. 1) rate and 2) diet

1) people want to lose weight like in infomercials (20 lbs in 20 mins). On top of that most people are not willing to put in some hard work (see girls who go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 5-10 mins and guys who do 10 sets of biceps each day). Truth is weightloss takes time. Different people can shed faster and some people will cling on to it. When I cut I usually aim for 1 lb per week for 2 weeks and then a bit over .5 lb/week from then on. This ensures I keep most my muscle and strength on my way down. People who lose quickly will lose muscle and fat, so the scale does lie.

2) diet. Diet. Diet.yesterday I went to a new burger joint similar to 5 guys, ate about 1800 calories. That same day I ran sprints and had a legs day. But I guarantee you I had a caloric surplus. It all really comes down to one simple formula calories in- calories out. You cannot outrun a bad diet, and you cannot burn calories as fast as you eat them. Which begs the question: "how much should I eat?" We'll the Huston texans have a PDF of their S&C program on the Internet and an estimate of TDEE is 15xbodyweight (remember this is used for corner backs and nose tackles, so bf% shouldn't matter toooo much) I weigh 220 so 15x220 = 3300 calories per day (this is to maintain this weight ) so you can either multiply this number by .85 or use the TDEE of you goal weight. I prefer the .85 which allows me .05 to eat a cheat meal (1 max per week). Once you have your weight down you can focus on macros (proteins, carbs, fats... So on) to stay healthy. Just remember fat loss starts in the kitchen.

I like to pre plan my meals every day. Tmrw I will eat egg whites and 1/2 an English muffin for breakfast 2 protein shakes @240 calories each, 1/2 baked sweet potato, and a chicken breast for lunch, turkey meatballs for dinner, and unlimited veggies with 2/3 fruits added.

Keep up the hard work and know that everything good is worth working for!

Also what's your workout regimen? Would love to hear it
    • Like Like x 2
  3. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,861
    Good advice from my man Saul. The menu he briefly outlined is good for almost all situations. Back off on the carbs, 86 all smoking, drinking, drugs... Start a workout plan and stick with it. you will lose weight. Backing off the carbs while increasing green vegetables will bring some results , starting within 72 hours. It is a lifestyle change.
    Saul is the man to ask for more defined battleplans. Good luck.
  4. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,528
    But just how do you SHRED fat?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    you have to keep that heart rate up if you have any hopes of burning fat fast. that can still be done while lifting weights but you have to switch fast.

if you drink Mt. Dew switch to diet or water those 270 calories in a bottle add up. The caffine from Diet will help speed up your metabolism.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    A "shredder"....lol.
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Saul, thanks. I will go look up the Texans S+C.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    The two most important factors in any weight loss plan.
    1. Patience
    2. Consistency

Good luck.
  9. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    S&C:Texans

There's a lot of stuff in here. All worth a good reading though
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Diet is #1 with a bullet. If you had to choose diet or exercise, when it comes to losing actual fat I'd say skip the exercise, focus on diet. I realize that's a false dichotomy, but one presented to accentuate how important that is.

There is a lot of research that suggests a lot of exercise makes weight loss harder, particularly if your diet is not on-point, because it induces a lot of hunger. If you're doing cardio strictly for fat-burning, I'd say "stop." An hour of hard-as-hell cardio can be offset with 125 fewer calories stretched across 3 or 4 meals. That's a tablespoon of oil/butter.

And as mentioned, time. Any notion of dropping 4+ lbs with consistency is a good way to set yourself up for failure. If it's 1lb a week, so be it. Some weeks it might be 2. Some it might be 0. The point is, keep at it. People often say things like "I'm going to drop 30 lbs in 15 weeks." They do the math, it seems to make sense, but then when they fall behind they sort of give up.

So give yourself a goal and then give yourself a deadline. But then double or triple the deadline. Something like: I'm 250 now, I want to be 230 by January 1. That's 20 lbs in 24 weeks, totally doable.
  11. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    lipo
    • Like Like x 1
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think lipo's more likely to slurp fat. If you want it shredded, get a food processor.
  13. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Your doing it right... What kind of lifting are you doing? If I want to shred weight fat quick I get into a regimen of circuit training consisting of super sets, and full body workouts.

Also I always run at the end of my workouts and its 4-5 days a week. 3 times a week is a light 20 minute jog, and 2 days a week is a 1 mile jog at the fastest pace I can get.

But the main thing to remember is your body is made in the kitchen. There are foods that are low in fat, or fat free and are packed high in proteins I always lean towards those. There are foods that also help burn off fat. Apples, turkey, peppers, green tea, almonds, pulses...

I am 6' and I fluctuate between 192-195 when I want to be cut... But eating those foods, and doing my workout regimen I can drop to 185 easily. The best part is its always the midsection that loses the most.

Also try to eat 4-6 small meals a day with 2 of those being protein shakes a PRE shake and a post shake.. I always noticed that benefited me.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
  15. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    I agree on the diet thing.

I started using one of those calorie tracking programs and was AMAZED how many calories I ate in a day. I'm talking 5000 easy on a "normal" day! No wonder I was getting fatter and fatter.

I don't have a fancy smart phone, so I use this website - http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/index.php

It isn't too hard, and it real quickly helped me identify ways to eat more healthy and lose weight.
  16. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    I was 250lbs last summer and I'm 185 now. I have not eaten a bit of fast food for what will be a year on 7/27, no chips, no fries or crappy fried food without protein.
    I go to the gym anywhere from 3-5 days a week, do cardio every now and then (anywhere from 1-3 days a week...generally more like one). Almost all my meals are high in protein (grill chicken and fish about 5 times a week) and very rarely do I eat fried food. But if I do it's fried chicken or fried shrimp...I still make sure I'm getting protein. Pizza and beer are still my vices. As everyone else said just be patient and determined. The weight started dropping and I feel I'm pretty cut, luckily no stretch marks from my fat stage either. Ladies at the bar definitley notice, and I was getting compliments from girls this weekend who had not seen me in quite sometime. It will do wonders for your vanity.
  17. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Aug 3rd 2012 weighed 231lbs. 22 July 2013 weigh 168lbs. The honest way to lose weight is:

1. Stop eating fast food as your meal. Occasionally is fine but after a while you will wonder why you ever liked it in the first place.
    2. Eat meals with portions that take in to account what your stomach size really is...the size of your fist.
    3. Enjoy the taste of food by eating slowly...enjoy the meal.

4. I have a coke every now and then..a small coke. No chips or garbage snacks.
    5. Contrary to mosts opinion...step on the scale everyday and be prepared for an avg loss of 1 to 2 pounds every 5-8 days. Losing weight is not meant to be fast.
    6. Set consistent and small goals...trust me it adds up and will come off. 7. Get away from the mirror! You arent going to look sexy that fast.
    8. Take a picture now. You will need it as a reminder in 6 months when the comments come rolling in.
    9. Be humble and yet proud. The patience will pay off.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Only exercise i do is walking..not the "i have to walk to lose weight" kind but more so..."the store is only 3 blocks away" kind.

Weightlifting is for ego and the routine will make most quit in time.

The fat comes off in the face first so dont get hung up on your "love handles as they are the last. Your pant size will fall soon enough.

As a note, i work on a resort with tons of the best food you can get. When i got there was told i would gain pounds. Guess they were wrong and can stay fat...for me, skinny is so much better!
  19. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,895
    Not sure what your goals are, dad; but you may want to think about using the mirror instead of the scale.

Lift hard. Cardio on occasion (1-2x/week) if you must. Use myfitnesspal or similar. Watch the mirror for months, not days/weeks. Pay attention to which belt hole you use, not pounds.

In eating, prioritize calories first, then macros, then timing.
  20. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    You could also check out BodyBuilding.com, they have plans for just about everything and every body type. I agree with the diet thing, I reduced the carbs and junk, started focusing on fresh fruits and veggies (rule of thumb, if it will spoil sitting on your counter it is good to eat, if it doesn't don't consume it...not my thought but read it somewhere and it has worked for me) and protein, so far I have went from 226 down to 210 while adding size. Gut gone, arms and legs bigger! Still not where I want to be but the tools on BodyBuilding.com helped me out tons. BTW that is only with a month of working out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/