1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Hypothetical lines: Broncos vs. Bama, Jags vs. Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gottapanda, Oct 2, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    First, I find the notion that there's some huge physical gap across the board largely unsupported. You'd think there are 400+ lb guys on both sides of the line across the board in the NFL.

The transitions from college -> NFL have become a lot more seamless in the last decade, if you haven't noticed, with players being able to compete at almost every position in year 1.

But we've conceded that, across the board, there's more "talent" in the NFL. So what? That's not insurmountable, particularly by a team with a great coach, a good amount of NFL talent themselves, pride, scheme and style.

Would the best college team beat the worst NFL more often than not? God no. Could they beat them? You bet.
  2. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    i'm sorry, you're way too simple-minded to have this discussion with. i hope for your sake you're a kid or a female, no way any man with common sense could have this logic.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Stay classy, chomp.
  4. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    the physical gap isn't strictly about weight. strength, overall conditioning, nutrition all play a factor. ask someone like terrance cody, who was probably 400 lbs at bama, if he's a better player and in better shape now at 350 than he was in college. you can get away with being fat, sloppy and not playing with the proper technique in college due to the competition you face. try that in the pros and you get benched or get cut.

the number of rookies who were superstars and absolute studs in college that struggle is far more than the number who come into the league and dominate right away.

and i think you're just underestimating the mindset of a pro athlete in general. as garbage as the jacksonville jags might be, the guys on that roster have reached the pinnacle of their profession. the thought of losing to a college team just isn't in the cards for them and it wouldn't happen.
  5. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +413
    Haha that little man computer geek wouldn't say that to my face or he would be in a world of hurt. I welcome him to the ATL when and if the Gators are in ATL for the SEC Title game and he can call me a girl if he dares. He won't want to I can guarantee that..
  6. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    you think college kids could beat a pro team LMAO

that alone proves you've never put on pads in your life, probably have never even stepped onto a football field.
  7. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +413
    Offer stands. And yes I have. Take it offline if you are going to keep running your mouth. I'm done responding to your keyboard cowboy crap in this thread. Btw nice extrapolating that I think college kids could beat a pro team when in reality I gave a very specific example and circumstance that the 2008 loaded Florida Gators led by Tim Tebow Percy Harvin Aaron Hernandez Pouncey Twins and company could beat the 2013 Jacksonville Jaguars led by Blaine Gabbert, MJD, Justin Blackmon, Luke Joekkel and company. Yeah I'm taking Florida's roster every day of the week and Sunday.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    This is the dumbest reasoning and I see it pop up *constantly* here.

Well, I put on pads, played football and played scholarship baseball in college, so I guess I'm in a position to make the argument that a great team of college kids *could* beat the worst NFL team once every X times.
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    The thing is Blaine Gabbert it terrible. He has always been terrible. And he will always be terrible.

Aj McCarron is better than Gabbert today (and has always been). If you go down the skill positions you can argue that Bama is on par with Jax. In the trenches, where the older men have true man muscle, is where Bama will get outclassed.

Again Bama has the edge at QB, and a large one. Mike Glennon was a below average college Qb that got drafted becasue he is tall and can throw far. He is terrible. However, the Bucs have a SIGNIFICANT edge at all the skill positions and in the trenches.

The Bucs are a very talented team that has no QB and a terrible coach. Saban is miles ahead of Schiano.

Isn't it hilarious the Bucs hired a mid-range coach in the worst BCS conference?

Jax would beat Bama by 10. The Bucs would beat them by 25.
  10. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    You're talking about the exceptions, not the rule. Most rookies still struggle mightily their first year. Only the elite of the elite are stars from day one. Guys like Luck, Ogden, Boselli.
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Of course. But Gabbert also wouldn't be starting on half the teams in the SEC. So it does work both ways when you are talking about a team like Jacksonville that has limited talent.
  12. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Gabbert wasn't terrible at Missouri. He sucks now but he's light years better than A.J. McCarron.

I'm sure Saban faced many coaches that he was better than in 2005-2006. How'd that work out for him?

Bama has no skill position players who would start on Jacksonville. That's pretty much a fact. Bama's best player is T.J. Yeldon and he wouldn't hold Jones-Drew's jockstrap. None of their wideouts are as good as Justin Blackmon either.

Jacksonville 52 Alabama 10 and that's being generous.
  13. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Sigh. You're not going to do anything to anyone. Drop the tough guy act, kiddo.

And again, that 2008 loaded team couldn't beat an Ole Miss team that had like 1 NFL caliber player in Dexter McCluster lol.
  14. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    You're entitled to your own stupidity, don't let me stand in the way.
  15. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    It would be a Appalachian State over Michigan type of upset, IMO.
  16. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +992
    As terrible as Gabbert is in the NFL he would be starting on most SEC teams, including the Gators. He was a 5 star prospect and top 10 in his class. He was a damn good player at Missouri and to think he has always been terrible is revisionist history.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +413
    But that doesn't happen..

That app state team had one player who went on to the NFL, not even at the same position. There were many guys on that michigan team to play in the league. The talent gap was far wider than 2008 Florida versus 2013 Jacksonville would be. But yeah it can't happen. No chance.
  18. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +992
    Wake me up when Michigan in an NFL team.
  19. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +413
    Nice job not addressing the actual post. Look we know you and chomp are proud jag fans. Keep telling yourself your boy Gabbert could beat the elite college teams of all time. We will just keep laughing at ya bro. This Jacksonville team has a chance to go down as the worst of all time in any sport.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,986
    Gabbert was a stud college QB with a big arm... if he was still playing college ball, he'd still be a stud college QB with a big arm.

But in the pros, Gabbert is "terrible" as you say. The game is faster in the pros. Pressure comes faster, and everyone is moving faster in your field of vision. Windows are tighter and close faster. Some QBs adjust to that and some don't. Or some just take longer (like Terry Bradshaw for instance), but in today's game, if you're a first round pick, you don't get that luxury.

And some QBs, even if they do have the mental part of the game, just don't have the release or the arm strength to get the ball where it needs to go before NFL DBs close on it.

We won't know about McCarron in the NFL until he tries. And if he had to face the Jags behind Bama's OL, he'd spend the afternoon on his backside, praying to get thru the game without serious injury.

And the Bama defense that got torched by A&M? How are they going to stop an NFL offense?

Jags would almost certainly slaughter Bama.