1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Hypothetical lines: Broncos vs. Bama, Jags vs. Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gottapanda, Oct 2, 2013.

1. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    True.

NFL 2nd teams would beat the hell out of any college team.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,126
    This hypothetical is laughable, I'll bet we can beat 'bama.
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,452
    1st, saban wasn't the coach of the 2008 Florida team. This question might be different if you assembled parts of great college teams.

As for making Blaine beat you. When healthy Lewis, Blackmon and Shorts are a very tough group to cover. Problem is only 1 has really played.

Could you assemble the 2008 team today with their gathered NFL experience and be competitive? Perhaps ...but no college team has the needed depth or EXPERIENCE to beat a team of seasoned NFL players.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Those old college vs NFL games are pretty much invalid, imo. Football has come a LONG way in 40 yrs.

I'm in the "if you think a cfb team can beat the worst NFL team - you're a crackhead" camp. The LOS battle would be like FBS college vs HS.
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,345
    I too think it's laughable to think a college team would beat an NFL team, but to say the jags have 53 NFL caliber players is equally laughable.
  6. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +413
    A healthy Lewis Blackmon and shorts wouldn't scare me if I could respond with the 2008 Gators secondary. Joe was all rookie right off the bat and didn't JJ lead the NFL in INT's his first year in the league? Not only was our secondary elite, it was instant impact / starters in the NFL. So yes I would take those matchups. So back to Blaine. Enjoy that lol. Maybe your bowling ball MJD wants to get Moreno'd by B Spikes and co when we stack the box to stop him.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    But if that were all it took we'd never have upsets. Never mind the fact that plenty of great college players have been excluded from NFL consideration for largely silly reasons (size, system, etc.)

I would never argue that Bama has more talent than the lowest NFL team. But they have a lot of advantages in depth and coaching over a team like Jacksonville.

I contend that if they played 10 times Bama could certainly win 1 of them.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well let's not forget that they used to do this. Only it was against the *best* NFL team. And it was a cobbled-together all-star college team that had two weeks to prepare. And the college teams still won sometimes.
  9. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I'm thinking Oregon this year could take the Jags or at least be competitive. The Jags are that big of an abomination. They don't have 50+ NFL caliber players. Half of those bums couldn't play on any other team.

And there's alot more to football than talent vs talent. Team chemistry, coaching, play-calling. We see games in college football where a team with a huge lack of talent beats a talent laden powerhouse. Utah vs Bama (was there a single NFL player on Utah's roster? Bama had tons). Stop being so simplistic.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Exactly. And keep in mind a bunch of those Oregon players may never see the NFL not necessarily because they aren't talented, but because they don't fit a "scheme."
  11. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Wait a second, you just made your argument with an example of 1 college team vs another college team. Nobody is saying that upsets don't happen, of course they do, even on a massive level (ex. Appalachian St. vs Michigan). And yes, Jax is bad on maybe historic proportions. But they are still NFL players. They're more seasoned, bigger, stronger, faster and more refined than any college team.

You can't just look at it from a POV whereas you say that most of Jax's players couldn't make another NFL roster. Maybe they can't, but they can make any college roster. In fact, they've already been college players and they were the best of the best at that time. Now they're even better and more experienced at a much faster style of football. And the reverse is not the same. In their very best years, only about 6% of the very best players on the very best college teams can make any NFL roster. Remember how much faster an NFL game is than even a game with 2 great SEC teams.

That's a major talent and EXPERIENCE disparity.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Talent? Yes? Experience? Maybe, maybe not. 75% of the Alabama squad (and most of the starters) have been playing together in the same system for at least two years. That's actually exceedingly rare in the NFL.

And again, a lot of the college "talent" is passed by the NFL not because they aren't good at football, but because they aren't right for most NFL systems.
  13. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    to say the Jags don't have 53 NFL caliber players is insulting to professional football players. you have to be one heckuva a player to even reach the NFL and make it onto any roster. the worst player on the Jags roster would be a superstar on the 08 Gators team.

lol@the thought of oregon being competitive with the Jags. the same ducks team that puts up 50 on everyone but can't move the ball when they play SEC-caliber defenses with speed. but they would suddenly be able to move the ball against an NFL defense, which is an SEC defense x 50?

some of you really have zero clue on how the game of football works
  14. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    When I say experience, I'm talking about the fact that they're older, have been playing football longer and at a higher level. Say what you want, the fact is that the game in the NFL is much faster and any time you learn a skill at a faster rate, it always becomes easier the more you slow it down. The reverse is not the same and is the biggest hurdle college players need to make when entering the NFL, getting used to the faster game.

As far as the NFL systems vs talent conversation, again this just goes back to whether you believe that all of these college offenses can even work in the NFL. Personally, I don't believe that they do which is why there are only a handful of systems in the NFL. Sid Gillman's offense, Bill Walsh's offense, Earhardt/Perkins offense. Everything in the league is a derivative of and evolved from those 3 main systems, except for Chip Kelley's, which comes from mouse Davis' concepts and the very small amount of read option, which dates back to the very early days of the sport. People just don't seem to want to acknowledge that nothing that any of these college offensive guru's are doing is new to the sport. All of these concepts have been around for generations and while you can have success against lesser talent, only a handful of them survive the long term test of playing against the best of the best.

So the reason why these kids are not drafted is because they're not good enough to play in the systems that have stood the test of time.

I get a kick out of you guys that say that NFL coaches are 'afraid' to use the college systems. Yeah they are. Do you know why? Because they don't work in the NFL!
  15. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    the thought of 19-year old joe haden and 19-year old janoris jenkins covering justin blackmon or cecil shorts 1-on-1 is laughable. you're asking a teenager who isn't even fully developed or on an NFL weight training regimen to physically to guard a grown ass man.

i'm glad these hypothetical matches would never happen because there's a good chance it would ruin the psyche and confidence of these college kids after they got embarrassed and they'd never be the same again.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,986
    There is no way to be proven right in this hypothetical because it will remain nothing more than a hypothetical.

But I have a difficult time seeing any college team compete with any NFL team. Across the board, there is a big difference in talent level, experience, size, strength, speed and maturity.

In some individual battles, the best college players could hold their own, but not across the board. For example, it doesn't do you a lot of good to have two OL that can hang while the rest are getting blown up. The game is over right there.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    And yet we very frequently have rookies that have no problem doing so.

Why is it so inconceivable for a 19 year old to do it but suddenly not a problem for a 20 year-old?
  18. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +413
    I'm saying the 2008 Haden and Jenkins after we won our title against Oklahoma and they shut down the likes of Julio Jones, AJ Green and Alshon Jeffrey (all NFL players the first two instant impact and better than 75% of the receivers in the NFL from DAY 1)..that those two players could guard freakin Cecil short and justin Blackmon. ABSOLUTELY. What's laughable is that you in that challenged head of yours don't think they could. Haden was the number 8 pick in in the drafts couple of months later and started day 1 going up and performing well against NFL teams number 1 receivers. Janoris had first round talent and I believe started and led the NFL (or was up there) in INTS. He was also up there in INTS returned for 6 points. As a rookie. So yes excuse me if I think they could cover those Jag scrubs.
  19. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    asking 1 or 2 19 or 20-year old phenoms to win the battle against their man is one thing....across the board for 60 minutes, it just wouldn't happen. you're asking an entire team composed of 19 and 20-year olds to consistently cover, get open against, get penetration, block and throw on a group of seasoned NFL vets. NFL vets who when they were 19 and 20-years old, were just as good, if not better than those kids they're facing.

it would be a downright slaughter and those college teams would suffer severe injuries.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I'm not sure why some people just don't get this.