Hypothetical lines: Broncos vs. Bama, Jags vs. Bama

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gottapanda, Oct 2, 2013.

1. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ead-denver-broncos-played-142512121--nfl.html

Found this article interesting. While Bama probably isn't as strong a team as last year, they're still consensus #1 and 2-time defending champs. And would be huge underdogs to even the worst NFL teams.

This guy sets the hypothetical line for Bama vs. the Jags at Jags -17.5. Bama vs. the Broncos is Broncos -40.5 or higher. Has there ever been a college team so good and an NFL team so bad that the line would be under 10?

What about in other sports? I'd guess the only sport where a college team might possibly be able to compete against a pro team would be basketball, if a college team pulled the best recruiting class ever and played the Bobcats or someone. Still, doesn't seem likely.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    any NFL team would beat the crap out of the best College team. If Bama vs Jags happened and that was the line, I would be putting a bunch of money on the Jags.
  3. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    'Bama would get its grill pushed backwards by any team in playing NFL football.
  4. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,459
    Maybe the 1976 Bucs against the 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers
  5. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Pretty sure you meant Pitt Panthers. Btw, the Bucs and Steelers played that year...Steelers won 42-0.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I honestly believe the difference between the #1 college team and the #32 NFL team is not as great as many have convinced themselves. I don't believe it's insurmountable.
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243
    As great as Bama has recruited, how many players on the two deep will play in the NFL? Contrast that to even a lowly NFL team like the Jags and they have cut players that were collegiate standouts.

The biggest difference would be on the lines of scrimmage where the extra years of technique practice and strength training would yield substantial results.
  8. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Broncs would crush bama. Bama and the jags, I'd take bama.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    obo I agree with you on a lot of things but on this one I think you have lost it my friend. Bama's Oline struggled with VT and Colorado state what do you think the Jaqs would do to them?
  10. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    They used to do college all stars vs NFL teams a long time ago.

An NFL team would abuse Bama. Their WR's wouldn't be able to make a play and the lines would be dominated by the NFL team. Much less the size and speed discrepancies all over the field.
  11. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    This year's Jags would not be a prohibitive favorite vs. last year's Bama team. I actually think it would be pretty close and last year's Bama might even win 2-3 out of 10.

Most people who laugh at that kind of thing tend to be young - and incredibly condescending. Those that can remember the old All American Bowl (I think that's what it was called), where a teamm of college seniors (sort of all-stars, but they had to be seniors) would play the NFL champions every year. It was played 1-2 weeks before the NFL exibition season started (Exhibition season used to be five games for the champs, four for everyone else). Right after the game, the college boys split up and went to their respective NFL camps and started their NFL careers. The college boys did occasionally win that game.

And before anyone says "yeah, but that's an All American team!" Not exactly. Those teams were all seniors - All American teams are never all seniors, and those teams were full of players that never made it in the NFL. Plus, the college all-stars only had 3-4 weeks to practice and get ready for the game against an established team - and the NFL champions at that - not the stinking Jags.

Imagine, Bart Starr and the great Packer teams against the college all stars. Johnny Unitas and the Colts against the college all stars. And it was often competitive and, again, the college boys won occasionally.

I would be absolutely shocked if the 2013 Jaguars mauled the 2012 Tide. I just can't see it happening.
  12. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    I wouldn't be surprised either way. I think it would take a special QB and a great line. Something like 2008 gators.

Yes the nfl is best of the college, but one team doesn't get the best players. Incredible QB, receivers could make the difference.
  13. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    You would lose. Bama at best has 20 or so players who may be good enough to play in the NFL, and some of them aren't ready now. The Jags, and all NFL teams, have a roster of 55 guys who are good enough to be playing in the NFL right now, because they are. The future NFL players on the Bama team would have a difficult time with the Jags starters. In addition, the NFL coaching staff would take advantage of and abuse those non-NFL starters and subs on every single down. It would not be close.
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +652
    These are silly arguments.

As good as Bama may seem, there are probably about 20 total guys on that Bama roster that could actually ONE DAY make an NFL roster. And probably fewer than 10 who ONE DAY might be starters.

To actually think that the roster on any college team, even a dream team of all current college athletes, would be able to compete right now with the depth of talent on any NFL roster is absurd.

At best, I think you might get a few interesting 1-on-1 match-ups.
  15. rican35

rican35 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    2001 canes couldve competed in the NFL
  16. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Oh really? The 2001 canes who beat Virginia Tech by 2 points and Boston College by 11? Because no they couldn't have. They, like every other college team in history, would have been smoked by even the worst NFL teams. Competed? Lol. :roll:
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,242
    Simple.
    Alabama has 15-20 NFL players
    The Jags have 53.
  18. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    '96 Nebraska would be the team I see as most competitive, and they would have been throttled by 35 points. Others have said, but the line of scrimmage disparity would be huge.
  19. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I'm going to agree with you here. I think last year's Bama's team could beat this year's Jag's or Buc's.
  20. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I'm going to agree with you here. I think last year's Bama's team could beat this year's Jag's or Buc's.