Hussein telling Congress to go with him and against their constituents?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    What a freakin' tool.

Starts at the 27:45 mark.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-congress-should-ignore-vast-majority-of-voters-and-support-me/

Obama made this revealing statement after a journalist asked, “One of your closest allies in the House said yesterday, ‘When you’ve got 97 percent of your constituents saying no, it’s kind of hard to say yes.’ Why should members of Congress go against the will of their constituents and support your decision on this?”

“Now, with respect to Congress and how they should respond to constituency concerns, you know, I do consider it part of my job to help make the case and to explain to the American people exactly why I think this is the right thing to do,” Obama said. “It’s conceivable that at the end of the day, I don’t persuade a majority of the American people that it’s the right thing to do and then each member of Congress is gonna have to decide, if I think it’s the right thing to do for America’s national security and the world’s national security, then how do I vote?”
  2. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    You do get how a republic style government works, right?
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    We've got one thread with conservatives blasting Obama for going by the polls. And now another blasting him for not going by the polls.

Kind of goes along with complaining for five years that he's bypassing Congress, and now blasting him for seeking congressional approval.
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Typical for TH where most threads are started and fueled by know-nothing Obama-phobes who would quote Hitler and Stalin if they could get their remains to slander the US president.
  5. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Thanks to the abuse of: executive orders, party politics, gov't agencies side stepping the US Constitution, pork barreling we no longer have a republic.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    You liberals crack me up. You don't get it. If Bush did this you guys would come unglued. You don't govern against the will of the people. That's Politics 1o1.
  7. northgagator

Ratings Received:
    +121
    River and Rowe,
    Have you guys ever considered the possibility that that in your eyes that this could be the first time Obama is wrong?
    Or are you guys say Obama is infallible?
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    You can thank Bush and Cheney for that.
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    That's odd, your boys said yes to going to Iraq and Afghanistan. So you need to thank your party for that as well.
  10. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Yes, his hero Hillary, who saw the same intel as the white house, said yes. What difference does it make now? Hillary Clinton
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Wrong to try and sway popular and congressional opinion on an issue he feels we need to act on? Yeah, that's just terrible. Impeach him. If he then bends to popular will and withdraws the authorization request, impeach him for failing to lead.

Have you considered what the f..k you think he should do? I know others have no idea but thought you were smarter.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Almost everybody except Noam Chomsky favored Afghanistan but most congressional democrats voted against Iraq and those who didn't were as big idiots as the republican president and party leadership who voted almost unanimously for it, though most of the democrats were cynically sticking their finger in the air during war fever time.

Why don't you read a history book before bringing up the past?
  13. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Thanks to phonied up Intel from the White House.
  14. northgagator

Ratings Received:
    +121
    You so totally ignore the question?

Why the dodge?

What issue are you referring to?
    Is it the one were 1,400 plus people were killed by a still to be identified military force?
    Is it the one where 100,000 plus have been killed in a two year old civil war?

Who said anything about impeachment?
    I didn't.
    It takes a cool and smart leader to issue and order to stand down. I would be the last to criticize Obama if he issues a stand down today.

"What the f..k you think he should do?"
    Why the bitterness Rowe?
    You sound a little testy today.

You are right, there are some who don't know. Most of them are in the Oval Office and the US Department of State.

I am not letting you down, I am smarter.

Obama has misplayed the Syrian civil war from the start. He let the Iranians get to entrenched in Syrian. He let Putin out flank him there as well. His red line statement put him in a box to be played by all sides. All he cal do is react instead of take action.

This is what Obama should do:
    1, Issue a stand down order. This will calm down some nervous people and gain him some list respect.
    2, He said that the current situation in Syria makes it to difficult to risk military intervention and achieve a logical consequences for the use of gas by either side.
    3, Get with both Russia and China to broker a peace plan for Syria .
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The thread is about how terrible it is that Obama is making his case to congress and trying to get them to vote against the popular will. You asked if it was ever possible for me to admit Obama was wrong, the clear implication being that you agreed with the nonsensical OP. If not, don't be so testy and just apologize for not being clear in your comments.

As to Syria, you might guess that I don't agree with your recitation of events and I do agree with Obama that we have to punish Assad for his outrage against civilized behavior and a code followed for about 100 years in war and peace by all international parties save Hitler, Saddam (while Reagan held his coat), and now Assad.
  16. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +884
    A good question here is why didn't folks on the right come unglued during Bush's run up to war in Iraq?
  17. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    I wonder... is contemplating bombing Syria despite a total absence of even an alleged national security interest for us, and against the wishes of the international community... is this one of those times America has been arrogant that Obama loved so much to express his contrition over?
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The administration has made the case that it is in our long term interest to uphold the ban on the use of chemical weapons.
  19. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,381
    Just... not to the American people, or to the international community. You haven't really made your case if it hasn't convinced anyone. Vital component, that.

See, whether you want to whine about the evidence Bush travelled back to 1998 in his Delorean to fake against Hussein, he actually convinced the Congress and a coalition of 40 nations that Hussein was a threat that needed removed. Obama can't even convince his own party, and for valid reason -- because not all of them are just going to give in to whatever this dilettante President decides is best and ignore the actual regional and global impact of a strike here. I mean when the *best case* scenario is you enable al Qaeda tied or styled jihadists who literally eat hearts to take over a country and don't provoke Russia or China, there is no upside.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    ?? It is possible to make your case and still not convince most since they may not have heard it or it may not be the deal maker for them. I heard Kerry make the national self interest case with my own ears, but how many listened to his speech Friday last or his hearings before Congress? Not many I dare say. In any case, your previous point is null since the administration has argued it is a case within in our national interest.

In your latter "point" I think you confuse Obama's goals for Syria with McCain's who he must temporarily humor to gain his vote. Long story short, if it was easy, there wouldn't be much need for debate.