Hunting

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Tebowism0823, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,397
    Hello all,

Didn't see if there was already a thread on this but I doubt it or I'm sure I would've seen it. I was just curious how many here are fellow hunters. Where do you hunt and what's your equipment of choice. I'll start obviously.

I personally hunt in and around Taylor county Georgia. I've got a few choices of guns but I always use my browning 300 with a
    Leica ER scope. I've got a 8 so far this season but I've been scouting, currently in the stand now, for this 12 that has been able to avoid us.

My son, who turns 9 on Friday, will be joining Thanksgiving weekend for his first hunt. He's been on a wolf and coyote hunt(South Dakota) with me but this will be the first time he'll have his own gun. Looking forward to it.
  2. mamag8ter

mamag8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,026
    My Sister-in-Law lives in Tavares. We will be going there for Thanksgiving. My Husband used to hunt, but says he couldn't kill anything any more. We have deer in our yard every night. Please don't come and hunt in Land O Lakes.
  3. G8RKyle

G8RKyle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I hunt on my in-laws land a little bit south of Oxford, MS. We've got about 400 acres with some small lakes, nice woods and fields. I put up one game camera this year and it's the first time we've ever done that. I caught some pics of a nice 10-point in velvet back in May and June, and then moved my camera for a few months and didn't catch sight of anything worthwhile. But in early October I put the camera near a promising scrape and after Thanksgiving we're heading back up there. I can't wait to see what's on that camera.

That will be the first weekend I'll be able to hunt. I love being up in a stand when it's cold and crisp, and you hear those steps heading your way, crunching in the leaves. It always amazes me that I can be out in the woods and be so close to such a large animal.
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    Blasted 13 dove Saturday. Maybe I'll post a pic of the bacon wrapped poppers tonight! Typically I bow hunt a lot. Haven't much this year with a new born, though. Shot them just south of the Alabama border north of Pensacola in Walnut Hill. I deer hunt there too. Also get up to Alabama in the black belt once or twice a season.

Shotgun - Browning Belgian A-5 Light 12
    Bow - Diamond Black Ice
    Rifle - Browning synthetic stainless stalker .270 with BOSS. Leupold Varx-III 3.5x10x40
  5. bogeyfred

bogeyfred VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I hunt in the "low country" in South Carolina. It is a QDM
    property and legal bucks must be 4 on a side and 15" wide.
    I have gotten a lot of shooters on the trail cameras, but nothing
    in the crosshairs yet ! I use a 243 Ackley that I had built for the
    grandkids. They all got does last year and are excited about
    getting some horns now. Season closes January 1 so we still
    have some time.
  6. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Ratings Received:
    +181
    We hunt all kinds of Midwestern and rocky mountain game. We have been unable to get out yet this year due to high school football and bantam hockey, but the boys have youth elk tags that go through the end of January, so we will get up in the high country soon to harvest a couple cow elk for the freezer. Then it is on to Nebraska for doe deer thinning in mid January (again, the boys, not me).

Spring turkey is a big deal around here - they are over populated in Colorado and Nebraska, so tags are plentiful and harvest with the bows is reasonable for the boys. (please note the really cool Gator arrows my youngest shot his turkey with last season!)

We have a relatively young chocolate lab who loves to fetch the ducks and geese - so we are hoping to get out in a corn field this year and knock a few down!

Attached Files: