Hudson Back, Rejuvenated, Ready to Lead Gators

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jun 8, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +19,792
    Hudson Back, Rejuvenated, Ready to Lead Gators
    Hudson started just 19 of 34 games, but averaged a team-high 15.5 points on 45.5-percent shooting from the floor and 40.4 from the 3-point arc.
    Chris Harry UF Senior Writer

"I just felt like I owed it to myself to go through the process, try it and see what was out there, because I've always had the dream of playing in the NBA," Hudson said after a practice earlier this week. "I knew the option of coming back to improve and become more of a leader was always there. Now that I'm back, we've got work to do. We want to win championships here."

"There's nothing wrong with not being guaranteed as first-round pick, which wasn't expected anyway," UF coach Mike White said. "Jalen had a really, really good year. He made a lot of headway. He built his brand. There should be a lot of positivity he's feeling right now, and he also has the feedback from the NBA as far as what he needs to improve on to be in a better spot next year."

Hudson, on track to graduate with a telecommunications degree in August, is a gifted scorer and charismatic player — a guy who can go get a shot, but also make difficult ones — and immediately becomes a headliner for the 2018-19 Gators, alongside fellow senior and shooting guard KeVaughn Allen. Those two, plus senior center Kevarrius Hayes and fourth-year junior Keith Stone, make up the returning core of starting minutes from a team that went 21-13, finished third in the SEC and reached the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season, before falling to third-seeded Texas Tech in third-round play of the East Region.

read the rest at Hudson Back, Rejuvenated, Ready to Lead Gators - Florida Gators
    • Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +19,792
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
    Put a smile on my face. Thanks JJH.
    FYI the UF website basketball roster has C Johnson as a Sophomore and Stokes a Freshman. The article says they are both waiting to hear on the medical redshirts. So we still have a bit of uncertainty on these 2.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,514
    Nice that we have 4 very experienced players remaining on roster of otherwise inexperienced kids. Gives us some time to develop and ha e more balanced program. If Coach White can bring in more classes like last year, we should be in good standing for the future. Do worry about power forward/Center type recruiting. Need bigger rebounding and defensive presence in middle
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,321
    I'll be some kind of heated if the NCAA doesn't give Johnson a redshirt for the 33 minutes he played, most of which were in garbage time of buy games in November.

For a bit of reference, Alex Murphy played 23 minutes in his final season with the Gators and he got a medical redshirt (though it took them FOREVER, it was so late in the offseason the Gators had to move on from him because they couldn't wait on the ruling)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,837
    Why would there be a question about Stokes getting a redshirt? He didn't play a single second.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +3,837
    Hudson is going to terrorize the SEC next year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
    I agree, maybe the paperwork isn't back or Chris Harry just got his story mixed up. At least the Gator website has him as a freshman.
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,512
    Red-shirting is not something Stokes has to "apply" for this year - unless I'm missing something - he never played. I don't think he even practiced until AFTER the season. He's about as crystal clear a redshirt as you can get. He's still a freshmen with 4 years to play 4.

I guess there is some uncertainty with Johnson, because he actually did play a tiny bit, which normally means he is down a year. So I guess they are questioning if he still has 4 years to play 4, or 4 years to play 3. The "medical" red-shirt I believe only comes into play if they need a 6th year to get 4 years of actively playing (due to injury). So theoretically if he gets injured again and misses extensive time of another season, the NCAA would let him have one of these two seasons back.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
    All very true, I was just comparing the article to what is on the UF website. I believe both will be redshirt freshmen this year with no doubt in my mind. I guess my concern, like most on here, is why it takes so long to clarify these questions. Oh wait we are talking about the NCAA. NVM
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,492
    • Like Like x 5
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,720
    We have 6 big men, not 5 as said by Harry: Hayes, Gak, Bassett, Stone, Johnson and Stokes. As others have said, Stokes is entitled to a redshirt and would not need a medical redshirt unless he redshirted a second year. Chase Johnson needs to be granted a redshirt in order to have 4 remaining years of eligibility. That should be automatic.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Ratings Received:
    +19,792
    Stokes should be a 'no brainer' Johnson not so sure, butI am looking for him to be a contributor this coming season, supposed to be a Mike Miller type player (according to the coaches a year ago)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,825
    Like we didn’t have enough uncertainty last year with both of these guys.
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,825
    Knowing the way the NCAA sticks it to UF they will probably accelerate him to a junior
    • Funny Funny x 4
  16. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,324
    Exactly Jack1. And 3 Top 50 Wing Recruits, while all of the Bigs have at least 1 year working with the program, and we've seen how Coach White's crew can make even 99,000 ranked kids like Dontay Basset into legitimate contributors against SEC quality teams.

Initially I doubted Coach White's ability with Bigs, but I've really been surprised by how well he's done with them. Billy D had terrific frontcourts, but almost all of them were ranked in the top 50 or 60 out of high school, not 85 (C Johnson), 123 (Stokes), 248 (Gak) and 290 (Basset).

I expect this year's team to be 13 Deep, which never occurred with Billy D, although his 2000 squad was 10 deep until the NCAA tournament when he went with a 9 man rotation. Note that the 2006 and 2007 teams were essentially 7 (2006) or 8 (2007) deep after which there was almost nothing, which was why when 6 of the 2007's 8 left, there was almost nothing left.
  17. potomacgator

potomacgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Remember Coach White now has a veteran big man coach, Al Pinkins, which should greatly improve our frontcourt . see:
    Big Deal: Pinkins Goes to Work on UF Frontcourt
    • Like Like x 1
  18. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,324
    Yes potomac, I was very interested when he was selected as coach, and found the article you referenced informative when I first read it after his arrival.

Assuming merely 33% injury this year to the Bigs (last year it was 57%), there should be more than adequate depth up front to play full steam full game and run, run, run, which initially was a major Billy D method of beating teams with superior talent. I'll never forget when the Michigan coach in 2000 said after losing to the Gators, "in the 2nd half, our guys were getting tired, but the Gators just kept bringing in fresh player after fresh player off the bench, and they killed us at the end." (Paraphrased)
  19. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +3,837
    Yes, I think Coach White would like to run more so we'll see if he does. He'll certainly have the depth to do so.

Overall, I think D1 teams are much better now at beating presses than they were in 2000, and I think that's why BD gradually shifted away from that to become more of a half-court team.
    • Agree Agree x 2