HS helemt-to-helmet football death in NY

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Yes, he should have gotten the penalty, as I understand the rule. From the video sent out to teams:

“The first rule change prohibits a runner or tackler from initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet outside the tackle box,” the video’s narrator says. “There are three components to this foul: First, the player must line up his opponent. Second, he must lower his head. And third, he must deliver a forcible blow with the crown of his helmet to any part of his opponent’s body. The crown is the very top of the helmet. This rule was designed not only to protect the player receiving the blow, but also the player delivering it. Violations of this rule will result in 15-yard penalties for unnecessary roughness, and potential discipline. If the contact occurs in the tackle box, or if all three components are not present, there is no foul.”

Charles' actions seem to fit. Someone from Tennessee got fined today for it. But I heard on ESPN that it's only been called once in a game and that was preseason.
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    But do you favor Ludicrous Speed?
  3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    How do you know first hand? How many concussions did you receive before the extra padding? And how many monitors do you see right now? :roll:
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Lol... that's the image I got when people said oversized helmets were a bad idea and that they couldn't help.

The Buffalo Bills had a receiver named Don Beebe that used an oversized helmet once.
  5. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I started on offense and defense and all the special teams. Once concussed, but never again after more padding. How much more first hand do I need to give or be.

But the extra large helmets have been use successfully in the pro game by Don Beebe of the Bills. I say make all the kids start playing in those for starters...
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    So did Mark Kelso, a safety on the same team. And while I think it's helpful it still doesn't address the spearing. And the padding won't make your neck stronger. It's the targeting that's the problem. Hit the coaches or the team with fines. If Dan Snyder had to pay weekly for Merriweather's recklessness then something would give.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Coaching is absolutely essential, I agree. Also make our youngsters get used to slightly larger helmets with more and better padding to lessen the strain on you head and neck when tackling.
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Just because you never got another one after the padding doesn't mean the padding was the reason. But I largely agree with the padding, I was just using that as an excuse to suggest your cognitive abilities have been compromised. But since you only got the one, I suppose you're "intact." :laugh:
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I knew what you were intimating... But I chose to stay the course... this time.
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Whew, dodged a bullet there!
  11. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Yes, I've played football. Worked on UF's equipment staff while in college, than worked for the largest fb helmet company on the planet for 4 years. I've been around fb my whole life, and I know how these helmets are molded and put together, and how to properly fit them on players. A lot of science goes into making a FB helmet. There is no room for more padding in a helmet.

The helmet was never designed to be used as a weapon. Players today aren't taught proper tackling technique, most of them go for the kill shot leading with their head.
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    More people are killed in a day in Chi-town than people playing sports in the last ten years combined. So what are your suggestions?
  13. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,030
    Until I was in the 10th grade we swore leather helmets- we still had kids getting concussions- we were taught to lead with our head when making a tackle-we were taught to try and be in the gorilla position and then aim the top of our head about where the breast bone is and drive up and thru the ball carrier while at the same time wrapping pour arms around the back of their thighs lift and drive their azzes into the ground

when we went to the newer plastic helmets they seemed a lot harder to put on our heads than the helmets of today