How's this for a stat/streak....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by outbackjack, Feb 4, 2014.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +467
    In our last four games....we have held the opponent to their lowest scoring output of the season.

Tennessee 41 (lowest of season)
    Miss St. 51 (this was the lowest of their season when we played them, they have since scored lower).
    TAM 36 (lowest of season)
    Mizz 58 (lowest of season)

Four in a row.

Next up is Bama, their lowest output is 47. Can we make it 5 straight?
  2. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Bama...here...absolutely. We will have some time to rest too. Over under 3 blocks for Walker...I'm going OVERRRRR
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +587
    Hard to keep any team under 50. This team seems to do it with regularity.
  4. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Over 3, playing perhaps 10 minutes?

All I can say is that would be locking fiendishness if it were actually to occur.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    The real challenge will be to keep this going against teams that we play twice. It might be best to let UK sneak in a few late baskets next week at Rupp, so we have a little breathing room to break that lowest point output in March. :)
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    And it isn't just because we are playing slowly. Some teams speed up games by going deep in the clock every possession and that keeps the number of possessions and the overall score down, but we aren't afraid to push the ball in transition, take early threes (much to Donovan's chagrin, at times), or forcing quicker defensive possessions with the press. To hold opponents so far below their scoring averages without significantly few positions is testament to this defense.
  7. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    We definitely play efficiently on defense, but like last year, we are actually we are pretty damn slow too. This year we are slower than about 85% of teams in Div I, posting about 63 possessions/game. Meanwhile, Arkansas is running around like a bunch of banshees, cracking 73 poss/game. (In case you are wondering, I think our game against Ark ran about 65 possessions in regulation)
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    This conversation kills me, Rade. To what do you attribute our pace: slow offense or defense that forces opponents late in late in the clock? We get back on defense, don't given up open threes, and we help in the paint to prevent penetration in early offense. But none of that is a function of our offense or intent to play slow. We have always been willing to push the ball with action in the open court and to take early threes if they are open. We aren't "damn slow" by design offensively.
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +587
    I don't think this team is a slow, deliberate offense as some suggest. Rserina makes a good point. The relatively low number of possessions is in part due to how long the opposition has to take to get a good look, or even any kind of look. How many times last night did Mizzou not score until there was one or two seconds left on the shot clock?
  10. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    I don't know exactly why we are slow, but it is a demonstrable fact that we are slower than most teams, regardless of the reason. And I think that you are attributing much more to my statement than was actually there. I did not say, nor do I believe that (A) it is bad to be slow, (B) that we are slow by design, (C) that we can't/don't like to get out in transition, (D) that we aren't suited to win and up tempo game, or (E) that this slowness is a product of our offense.

All I am saying is that we fit relatively few possessions into games, which is what I mean by slow. And in fact, we fit fewer than 85% of teams out there, which is what I mean by damn slow. Nothing more. Nothing less.
  11. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Rereading your post, I think I see what happened, rserina. You thought that I was rebuking your idea that we aren't a team that keeps possessions down on purpose. Definitely not. I just meant that mathematically our defensive ppg is being dropped at least slightly by the fact that our games run slowly, even if we are trying to be faster.
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    The Gators rank 329th of all Div-1 schools for number of possessions per game.

That is really slow.

Some of that is due to how well we play D which forces the opponent to use up huge chunks of the shot clock. But a lot of it is due to this team always looking and probing inside for a close in shot before settling for an outside jumper, i.e. a methodical and slow offense. It looks like the only guy that has the total green light to launch a reasonable look at a 3 is Frasier and DFS appears to have a green light if he is totally unguarded. Scottie normally declines the open look 3 early in the shot clock except when the Gators are in a mini-desperation mode with the way the offense has been producing on recent possessions.
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,248
    This. When you force the other team to go late into the shot clock it is going to also affect your own ppg.
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Our game yesterday was had fewer possessions than any team in D-1 averages, 57 for us and 58 for Missouri. There have been slower games this year, but not many. And that's with shooting all of the free throws at the end, which sped things up (relative to how little time was used per each of our possessions and not how much time pass in real time).

One of the things that contributes to that is we are getting more offensive rebounds this year. That extends possessions since the possession doesn't end until we score or the other team gets the ball back.

All I have to go by is the play by play data, but I counted 11 times we used 24 or more seconds of the shot clock (just using the NBA clock as the cut-off). 10 of those came in the first half. Most of those 10 were after the first 5 minutes of the first half where we really slowed it down. Not coincidentally, we scored much better in the 2nd half. One those 11 possessions that went long, most ended up in a missed shot or turnover.
  15. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Awesome stat. I just hope we can get back to scoring over 70 again soon....six straight under 70. We have to improve first half shooting because you don't get a wide margin of error in march and a bad start could be very troubling(like Michigan).
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Yes, rserina, you can't simply use statistics to look at much of anything legitimately. There are always far too many other factors that influence any outcome, as you so correctly note in this case.
  17. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Last seven games we've held our opponents to 35% shooting and 51.3 ppg
  18. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Ever since this conversation, I've been wondering about whether it is our offense or defense that makes us slow, and lo and behold, KenPom again comes to the rescue.

When you look at average possession length (APL) data, the thing that stands out is that slow defenses tend to be very good. Not slow in terms of the player’s speed, but slow in terms of forcing opponents to take a long time with the basketball.

Syracuse, Florida, and Arizona currently have the three slowest defenses in the country. Clemson, San Diego State, and Virginia rank fourth, sixth, and seventh, respectively, and all three have an adjusted defensive efficiency that ranks in the top ten. (The converse, that fast offenses are good, is not true nearly as often.) We know what makes defenses good, but what makes them slow?

Here are our average time of offensive and defensive possessions:

Offense: 17.5 seconds (133rd fastest)
    Defense: 19.3 seconds (2nd slowest, behind Syracuse)

In short, it looks like it is our defense that makes us slow. Our offense isn't fast, but it isn't slow either.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,584
    There you go.

(I was wondering if those stats existed while reading all the preceding posts on slowness. You (and kenpom) answered my question quite well.)
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,248
    It's really not complex at all. If you force the other team to use most of the shot clock it is going to affect certain stats such as possessions per game for your own team. Sometimes getting hung up on statistics makes us miss the obvious.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014