Howard Stern is spot on with his take on Israel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Jul 25, 2014.

1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    That's interesting. But I know that's been changing. I have a sister-in-law who is Jewish and she takes her heritage seriously. She and my brother now live in Key West and they are members of a Reformed Congregation. They attend services there regularly. And when I visit them I attend with them. She voted for Obama and during his first term she was vocal on her support of him. But that's been taken to a 180 in his 2nd term. I don't ask much at all, just listen to her and her friends when they discuss various things about this Administration. More and more I could tell her support and like of his various policies, domestic and international, were going down. And now she has a very big concern what is happening in Israel. And concerned (I'll put it that way) by a lack of meaningful support by this Administration for Israel.
  2. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,941
    This is a rediculous comment. Maybe you know someone (or a few people) that happened with or something.

Aside from the fact that people that were never political oft become political at an older age, knowing a lot of Jews, I can say definitively that this statement is just categorically false.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    You don't know what anecdotal means, do ya?
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,839
    American Jews vote predominately Democrat, because they are liberals first and foremost...49% of Jewish adults identify as liberal, compared with just 19% who say they are conservative.

For obvious reasons, Jews are quite sympathetic to the less fortunate, strive for equality, and big proponents of Gov social programs. They also have a negative perception of evangelical Christians.

These views can be in conflict with Israel's occupation of Palestine, despite agreeing on the right to defend Israel.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,941
    No. Somehow I went through my life not knowing what a simple word that most people know the definition of, not knowing this basic word.

I was saying that although he has the anecdotal evidence, his claim is rediculous.
  6. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,941
    It is not my experience that Jews have a negative perception of Christians. What leads you to that claim?
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,195
    It's funny how many here are putting an métier religion in a box, or extrapolating millions of Jews beliefs based on some guy you know.
    They aren't any more monolithic than any other group, it's like asking why the whole 80% of practicing Christians in this country didn't vote for Huckabee in 2008.
    Jews have the same multilayered concerns that everyone else has, for some Israel may be number one, for others it may be number 8 or 9 in what they care about.
    Speaking only for my family's Jews, Israel is low on the list, domestic issues and things that affect their day to day are far more important. If Israel were ever seriously in danger of not existing that might change , but things like this are simply seen as more of the same, more of what they have seen their whole lives - Two sides of stubborn intransigent groups fighting each other to a standstill again and again and again.
  8. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Definitely not the case here in SE FL, but we have a large Jewish population and I don't know what it's like in OK or NH.

Israel isn't their only issue and it may not be the #1 issue, but Jews here certainly GAS about Israel.
  9. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,216
    How do they vote in SE FL?
  10. cjgator76

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Mostly Dem but it varies somewhat by locale, age and income . The heavily Jewish, non-wealthy, retirement condos vote overwhelmingly Dem.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  11. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,839
    Polling

Evangelicals obviously are very socially conservative in their views, which Jews are not..

For example, 82% think homosexuality should be accepted by society

Oh, and that whole rapture thing..,
  12. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,941
    Disagreeing with someone on something, or even an ideology doesn't mean that you look disparagingly on that people or group of people.

I personally have lots of friends and family that I disagree with on major issues and don't dislike them for it.

When it comes to homosexuality, I think it should he accepted by society as much as someone that is born with one leg. It's just an unfortunate (well they wouldn't say so) fact of their existence and genetic make up. It can and indeed is argued that those things are not equatable but I believe then to be but if someone disagrees with me, I don't dislike them.

On the other hand, I see your point.
  13. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,124
    Exactly. Just the opposite. Most Israelis that I know who live in South Florida find Jewish American to be somewhat humorous. They walk and they talk about Israel like they live there. However, the Israelis are quick to let them know that they don't. Very interesting dynamic between the two groups.

There are jews in Oklahoma? My kids grew up in South Florida. They naturally assumed that the rest of the United States population was equally gay and jewish, and of course spoke spanish. They got the last one right.
  14. cjgator76

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Ha, I really don't know about OK, just threw out a couple of states at random.

SE FL is reportedly the third largest Jewish population in the world, trailing only Israel and metro NYC.
  15. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I really like you young man. Look forward to meeting you at a game, hopefully when Tilly comes down.
  16. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Can you show me accurate, concrete proof of that claim?
  17. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Reformed congregation? Jewish or Christian?
  18. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,817
    Reformed

Here in Lakeland we have a Conservstive Congregation. I have attended their Friday night services during Hanukkah a few times. They had a wonderful, friendly Rabbi who passed away a few years ago. I got to know him a little bit.

About 5 years ago we got an Orthodox Congregation. Each year during the first night of Hanukkah they have a lighting celebration downtown in the park by Lake Mirror. So far I haven't missed any of them.
  19. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,941
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    As I suspected, age is often a factor in how you view the situation in Israel:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...s-take-a-dim-view-of-israels-actions/?hpid=z2