How would you feel if the media (nbc) did this to you?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Jul 14, 2013.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,963
    It seems to me that there are two agendas for the Zimmerman team going forward. And I mean team and not him. I expect that his lawyers are going to be a part of his circle for a LONG time.

The first one is to negotiate/maneuver to keep lawsuits at bay against him regarding this incident. That will take time and money. The next agenda will be how to pay for all of this? I don't doubt that Mr. Zimmerman has to play by the lawyer's rules going forward as he is so far in debt to them that to gain independence would be the same as declaring bankruptcy. And the lawyers aren't going to let that happen. So I foresee the team going towards a BIG payday by attempting to kill two birds with one stone. NBC and others are going to be fought for quite some time. The only question is will the general population really care? Not likely so the "embarrassment" factor will be minimal.
  2. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    That's mostly accurate, except for the 'nominal' part. If the sum offered is not a good faith effort to settle, the court could deny attorneys fees (that's gleaned from the jurisprudence on the rule, not in the rule itself).

FWIW.
  3. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    At least NBC can pay George with our tax dollars/tax breaks they get.
    Glad we can support companies like this :no:
  4. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Almost funny--because as recently as last week, the GZ lynch mob didn't give a damn about what we 'd[idn't] know'.

Also funny--you calling those who thought a Not Guilty verdict was appropriate, 'GZ fanboys'. A virtual lynch mob had been drumbed up by media bias, hyper politicization, perjury (ref. Angela Cory), and a pile of other biased agenda that had no business in a court of law, and you cry 'GZ fanboys'...

NOTE: had you bothered to keep up with the threads, you'd notice a conspicous abasence of pro-GZ sentiment, even for the 'pro-GZ' posters. No one cared for, or about GZ pesonally--it's how the law was selectively, arbitrarily, and carpicously applied to him, in the interest of politics and sensationalism, that riled up the pro-GZ posters.

Not that anyone should be surprised by your angle here though, as its' par for the course, with your tired schtick. You could care less how badly the government railroads anyone--as long as they do it in a manner that benefits your personal political agenda, or is otherwise politically expedient to a cause you champion according to your died in the wool progrosevist ideology, you're all

"rah rah rah, go government!"

:devil:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Right...which is why the first line of my answer says, "If someone sues him and he can make a good faith argument that it's a frivolous lawsuit, he can file what's called a Proposal for Settlement and offer to settle the case for a nominal amount, like $100."

If he doesn't have a good faith basis for making that argument then he can't make a nominal offer; it has to be one that reflects his reasonable assessment of his exposure in the case.

Don't try me, son. :no::wink::grin:
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I don't think you know my position on this case, which isn't recognizable from your description.

I stand by my comment - No one knows except GZ what happened between them at the moment the confrontation escalated, and he has a compelling interest in the accounting of it. It would be fool hardy to accept it at face value, though he may be right.
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,770
    Honestly, what NBC in particular did to misrepresent the facts and cast Zimmerman in a false light and as the villain in a false narrative of a race crime was so vulgar and despicable, I kind of hope that they have to rename the majority owner "Zimcast" to cover the award. Blatant case of a news network having the choice between fact and narrative, ans choosing narrative.
  8. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Thanks. I would guess they (Zimmerman team) would take that route? Trayvon's parents settled with HOA and both quit their jobs....maybe they got enough. Homeowner's Association Insurer probably now regretting settlement.
  9. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Have you seen this? This is from their actual filing in opposition to the Complaint, a Motion to Stay it until after the criminal trial, which I guess was granted:

"If Zimmerman is convicted, that fact alone will constitute substantial evidence that the destruction of his reputation is the result of his own criminal conduct, and not of the broadcasts at issue which, like countless other news reports disseminated by media entities throughout the country, reported on the underlying events."​

Oopsie! Gotta love blogger Erik Wemple's dry, stand-alone comment on that one:

That formulation is now null.​

LOL! The ass-clowns at NBC put all their eggs in the Skittles basket and now shall pay dearly. They concede the "destruction of his reputation" but chalk it up to "his own criminal conduct," which according to a Jury finding is now officially, "none."
  10. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    No, the Insurer tendered the policy as a business decision. It was probably only a million dollars or two. If they didn't tender they could expose the HOA to a judgment in excess of the policy limit, not to mention that their legal fees alone would've approached or exceeded that amount.
  11. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,770
    Not so much for that formulation, they should be arguing that formulation implicitly admits damages on the basis of the acquittal. Might not work, but hell, makes sense on its face.
  12. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063

Confucius say... Never wiggle toes with foot planted in one's mouth...

I just love that the press is caught with its pants down... Finally...
  13. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    I agree with what you are saying. I will add that the main reason they don't want anyone in a neighborhood watch program armed. It would be very rare that they could come out of that on the winning side.
  14. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I suggest that Zimmerman's lawyers and the Martins lawyers get together and decide on a split of the multi million dollar judgement that GZ will win against NBC. That will save a lot of time and legal expenses. It's just business.
  15. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,770
    Oh, they wouldn't accept a dime from him, and I don't blame them at all. If we assume that he will have tort immunity and further assume no BS federal action and further assume a significant award or settlement from NBC, I don't think they'd take a dime from him.

He would actually probably be very well advised in terms of having peace in his life to give a significant chunk of it to some sort of community cause that meets with the shakedown guys' tastes. I don't think Trayvon Martin's family is for sale. Jackson and Sharpton? That has never been in doubt.