How Will Defenses now scheme v. UF, and how will UF's offense change...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 24, 2013.

1. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    ...with Murphy at QB?

I see two positives, and a couple things I worry about.

Positives:

1) Protect the ball. I guess this is more a hope than a change, but if Murphy can just protect the ball the way he did v UT, UF's O will be better.

UF would be 3-0 and averaging about 40 points/game if we could cut our TOs in half or more.

2) Square peg in a square hole. It looked like the coaches were trying to get Driskel to play as a pro-style, stay in the pocket QB, when that is not his natural bent.

Now with Murphy, our pro-style offense may be put on the shelf, and UF will let a running QB actually run the ball some. Maybe this opens up some holes and opportunities for our TBs.

Worries:

1) UF will become one-dimensional. Teams will crowd the LOS, spy Murphy, not overrun contain and force Murphy to pass to win. Given that he is 6-1 and probably has less arm strength than Jeff, our passing game may be even more moribund than it has been.
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Need to simplify the offense. In fact, this is what Jeff should have been doing all along. Have TM make a quick one/two read. If they're not wide open, take off running to pick up whatever you can.

I fully expect defenses to put a spy on TM and force him to beat us passing, especially with our pedestrian running game. I think what's gonna make or break our offense is if TM can create broken passing plays by scrambling and if our wide receivers can improvise and get open for him.
  3. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +522
    i thought murphy did a good job completing the ball downfield in the second half, with 2 good throws to dunbar. i think TM seemed to have a better feel for pressure in the pocket(i know just one game, so we'll see if that keeps up) something that jeff did not have. jeff took alot of sacks. i don't think TM took one, and there were chances for him to be sacked, but he felt the pressure, stepped up and either threw it away, or ran. so many times jeff would sit, sit, sit in the pocket with no clue where the pressure was coming from. if TM can keep avoiding sacks, and we don't get behind the chains on 1/2nd down we should be fine. we weren't a team centered around the qb to start, and we still won't be when the season is over.
  4. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,187
    They will definitely crowd the LOS. He's going to have to show his pocket passing acumen to open things up.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,826
    Totally agree they were putting too much on Jeff and the Olines plate. I think this forces them to simplify things a little. But Tyler should be able to run the offense he has been here for a long time and it seems like he has been focused. He got a lot of first team reps this year as well.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    If anything I would say the opposite.

Murphy showed the he can handle a lot out there. He audibled several times. He picked up nearly 10 YPA passing without really throwing 1 risky ball that could have been picked. On passing downs when he got in trouble he was always able to elude the rush and throw it away or pick up yards scrambling. So he proved we can "take the risk" of passing and reap the rewards of decent gains through the air without necessarily having to frequently suffer the consequences (sacks, picks).

This is his fourth year in college, he's had some good starter reps at practice when JD was out earlier, and he's shown his skill set out on the field Saturday includes some things we haven't really seen consistently from the position. I think the offense actually could open up more than what we had in the past.

I also don't think we need to protect him as a runner (by forcing him to stay in the pocket or something). He's shown that he can take care of himself by sliding. Also he showed great vision like a RB setting up his blocks and picking up key first downs.

Aside from a couple of bobbles, which is understandable the first time out there, he looked in complete control.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,072
    I thought Murphy threw the ball very well against UT.
  8. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    Seems like he decides to throw or scramble quickly, which is a good thing and what I think has caused Driskel problems. JD can run the ball, too, but he has been hanging in the pocket too long when he should at least be on the run.

I have hopes for TM but not expectations, because that's unfair at this point. Teams will have film on him now, and his ability to scramble will not take anyone by surprise. He's got two relatively easy games in a row to gain experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Truthfully it's hard to say yet. I don't think we've seen enough of TM's game. Frankly I would think our gameplan with him will be the same as it was with JD. The difference we saw in TM was his comfort and poise running the offense and his ability to make quick decisions then perform physically. That's a quality that JD struggled with but I think their styles of play are actually pretty similar.
  10. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Did anyone notice on his long completion to a sliding Dunbar over the middle, Murphy starts off looking right the whole way then turns back left and immediately throws to the receiver just as he's clearing the linebacker and entering big empty space? I have a hunch he knew he wanted Dunbar but looked right so long just to fool the defense. It was a thing of beauty.

This guy showed me he's ready to handle more on his plate, not less.
  11. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think the kid threw the ball extremely well. A laser over the middle and a touch fade pass down the sideline were really good throws. I think we will have to prove Murph can throw, but it looks like he's got the ability. I think if they start crowding the line, there will be some surprised/torched defenses.
  12. ufgator865

ufgator865 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    Murphy is very intelligent and has spent hours studying film. He performed at a very high level despite never playing at UF. he looks poised in the pocket and elusive when pressure comes. I say full steam ahead. Play action on first down early in the game and give him some easy throws. Build his confidence and great things will occur. I hope UK puts 8 or more in the box.
  13. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,959
    I saw a scrambler and not a runner. So I would expect defenses to play very vanilla D (4 rushers, 3 or 4 LBs/safeties in the box) and be disciplined in rushing him. Let him show he can pass from the pocket and then try something else.

And by keeping him in the pocket it is up to the receivers to get open on their own. So they are a big piece of the puzzle.

But I think our gameplan is going to be the same as with Jeff: run it, pass a little, play great D and win in a 60-minute game.
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    How will things change? - Opposing D's crowded the line, we had no deep threat. We had to try and manufacture running yards and it seemed this year, with our OL injuries, it was getting tougher. JD was good off of play action, however if the first option wasn't open, it created big problems for us. Also, JD tended to stare down the receivers. The other problem we had was JD wasn't very accurate on the deep ball, When pressure came, we turned the ball over.

The big question is how will things change? I'm optimistic. When JD first went down, I was thinking 'we are screwed'. TM came in and surprised all of us.

IMO, from the limited time I watched TM perform, I think his accuracy and quick decision making will allow us to open up the O. Of course this is wishful thinking, but I'm optimistic we are going to see our O perform the way we all hoped. Opposing D's are not going to be able to crowd the box against us. This will finally open up the running game. TM will pick team's apart with quick strikes. This is what I'm thinking will happen.
  15. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +451
    I see coaches who are very stubborn. They want to be Bama & we aren't. Jeff has great skills but he isn't playing loose & cocky. If the coaches throttle Tyler down, I'm gonna be seriously negative about what they are trying to do. We have some great players but we aren't Alabama & need to play to our strengths not to something we aren't.
  16. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Simplify? How does it get more basic than what we have been running?
  17. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I don't think opposing defenses will change their scheme up until they have enough film on Murphy to really know what they're game planning against. Kentucky, if they have any brains at all upstairs, will spend the week working on how to defend the zone read, eye control, and containing a scrambling quarterback.

The one ironic positive about our two-back, power, counter, iso, gap fit offense is that not many teams run it anymore. We're one of maybe four teams in the entire conference that doesn't run some perversion of the spread offense, and even we have a lot of personnel-based, odd formation spread concepts in the playbook. Most defenses, including ours, spend week after week gearing to stop some form of spread offense. That's one of the reasons, despite its general ineptitude, I imagine our offense has to be difficult to prepare for.

We have three new starters on the offensive line. Humphries is playing hurt, Moore will play hurt Saturday, and Halapio is still rounding into form. I think Murphy's quicker decision-making and the slightly easier style of play that comes with him is a better fit behind the fluctuating, sometimes patchwork offensive line we have.
  18. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I fully believe that Jeff has been hurt for some time and hence the way he played at times, he just never looked comfortable and an injury can do that...but our coaches keep secrets better than the CIA. Roll the Driskel film back last year against A&M, UT, UK, LSU (where I think he got injured). He was quick against those teams and then ankle/knee problems start to take their toll. He had surgery this fall and very well could have had tweaks on the field also. Our practices are hard nose and its the only way to forge steel.

As for moving forward...teams have been crowding the line against us and want us to throw..which is the same thing we do to teams to make them one dimensional. Now...you can beat this pressure two ways: fly sweeps to the edges and quick screens to boundaries will loosen up a defense and make them spread out a little more. We have not been able to run inside because of the stacked lines...but you HAVE to keep trying or risk making it easy for the defense to cover you. Throwing the ball is the other option and that's why we MUST run the ball or throw more on first downs. The problem with throwing on first down is simple: if its incomplete throwing downfield...then you have 1 down to try a run and then you are probably facing third and long...which aint good.

By running the ball on first down and second...if we get to a third and three our options are numerous and defense cant predict. It also helps picking up a couple of first downs and then punt...with our defense punting isn't a bad thing.
  19. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Yup. About 30 seconds left in the 3rd I believe. Looks all over the field before throwing... beautiful.

There is a lot to like about everything TM does pre-snap as well. He seems to always scan the D and commands the offense like a veteran QB. If not anything else, we definitely have a guy that is a field general between the ears.
  20. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Agree with most of this. But based on what I saw and have read, he doesn't need to have his confidence built. He seems to have plenty of that already