How/Why is our O-line this bad?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by swg8trgr8, Oct 20, 2013.

1. swg8trgr8

swg8trgr8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Is Harrison not one of the better Centers in this league?
    Are Garcia & Moore not highly touted transfers who played elsewhere (successfully) before getting here? To start right away over our other big recruits must mean they are good, right?
    Has Halapio not started 50 something games for us already? He has to be good to be a starter all this time at the University of Florida, right?
    Isn't DJ one of the biggest recruits, most athletic Tackles in the country?

I just don't understand how such a talented, quality, experienced group can play so poorly. And we have plenty of depth behind them as well (Thurman, Koehne, Silberman)

Is it all on the coaches?
    Is it all on the players?
    How do you coach someone when they literally whiff on every single play? How is that even possible?
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Any time you see three o-lineman standing around on one side of the field while our QB is getting blitzed, running for his life from the other side... it's a problem with the scheme, and not necessarily with the talent at the line. Although we do need better O-lineman too.
  3. g8r2012

g8r2012 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I'd say it's both coaches and players. Bad schemes account for some of it, but there are also a number of times that guys are beat badly one on one. It looked like Moore lost every single matchup with Sam yesterday and Murphy had no time as a result. I don't expect the guy to win all or even most of the battles against such a good DE, but he's gotta win a couple. Though of course you could say that the coaches should have put a TE there to help him out.
  4. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    Maybe the blocking schemes for a "Boise State" style offense are not that easy? Tim Davis has been an o-line coach for a number of years, including the USCw MNC, and at the pro level. The players keep saying communication, maybe the new players/positions (due to injury) haven' gelled.
  5. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    We need more holding! I'm surprised for having such a bad line we don't get more holding calls. Who knows maybe we could get away with it for a while and give Murph a fighting chance.
  6. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    The play where we threw a swing pass to a back and the Olineman just kind of jogged over and didn't block the one defender that was there, pretty much emphasizes what's wrong with the Oline. Most of the time they don't look like they want to hit anyone. Could be why their primary blocking scheme includes the word, "Ole". To think that a few years ago we were calling the noles Oline "the turnstiles".
  7. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Some of these I've said before, some are new.

Structural
    1)Players need to be allowed to play their "natural" positions
    2) Take Halipio out until he is healthy
    3)Take chances on the new OT but simplify the blocking schemes and give the OT's help with TE and Rb
    4) Stop making them stay in their stance for 15-20 while coaches/QB get head out of a$$!

Technique
    1) For all OL: more arm punches to the center of the chest followed by inside holding
    2) For OT's: Leg kick first step with the ability to re-center feet without becoming unbalanced.
    3) For OG/C: Stay low (constantly see them standing then reaching) take the big initial step and get the helmet on the ball side then drive, drive, drive ,drive, drive until you hear the whistle.
    4) For all OL: Get mean, get your hands on the opponent, drive that enemy into the ground or at the very least make him fearful of what you can do to him so he can't use his hands to block passes or grab RB.

These are some thoughts on the OL. I think it is clear that there are systematic problems with our offence that need to be changed. Give the scope of the problems I chose to concentrate on the OL.
  8. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,499

Like I mentioned on another thread, that's an excellent idea . . . if we could only get our hands on 'em.
  9. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Yep. Dlines get by our Oline so fast that our Oline can't even grab them.
  10. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Moore is playing way out of position. They tried Garcia late, and he would also be a guard playing Tackle, but after the last two weeks even they have to see that Moore is by far the worst option (other than Brown, who's just a project that's nowhere near ready).

Koehne looked decent spelling Harrison, I say get him in there for Garcia at guard and you've got two weeks to see if Garcia can play RT. Hell, at this point they may as well try one of the Freshmen lineman there, anything has to be better than Moore at RT.
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    Tyler Moore had an extremely bad day yesterday, going against one of the better linemen in the conference. Just a horrible day.

The effort doesn't seem to be there. The swing pass stuck out to me too.

There are WAY TOO MANY PLAYS where we have unblocked or extremely poorly blocked guys getting to the QB in 3 or less seconds.

The thing that continues to bother me, we have piss poor protection, but we don't max protect. I just don't understand. If the pass blocking on the OL is so bad, put a TE and a FB in there and leave them to help block. It's not rocket science.

And given that I'm sure the coaches know the pass blocking is so bad, WHY DID THEY THROW 5 out of the next 6 plays AFTER WE RAN 6 runs for 70 yards in the 3rd quarter?

There is no logical explanation for their decision making right now. They are on tilt.
  12. SwampSmak

SwampSmak New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Moore doesn't have the Lateral Feet to play Tackle in the SEC he is getting killed... Moore is a natural run blocking Guard.

When Green went out we had to play a Guard at Tackle

Humphries bless the kid but he is playing LT in the SEC as a true sophomore and at 280lbs... the fact we don't have a 300lb upperclassman in front of him tells you all you need to know

Halapio is blocking with one arm... he hasn't recovered from the Pectoral Tear

Garcia is decent he will improve... big difference playing at Maryland and playing at Florida...

We benched Humphries cuz he is still not ready to be a SEC caliber LT. We played LG Max Garica at LT... and then in the middle of the game we switched him to RT... yea we benched a Guard playing tackle to move another guard playing the other tackle spot in his place...

We have Guards for Tackles... its very noticeable

and no we don't have depth... bc we have recruiting very poorly at the postition for the last 4 years... besides the Pouncy's and Humphries we have wiffed on every big OL commit in the last 7 years... we need to address it very badly
  13. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Hated that Dunker got caught up in legal troubles, we could really use him right now.
  14. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    talent gaps + poor development + scheme = terrible Off line
  15. AuldG8R

AuldG8R Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Our offense has been bad for three years. Year one was Charlie's fault. Year two was the fault of a new system. Year three will be because of ?. Whether it is BP not really being an OC and the offense was run by Peterson or because WM has stifled the offense to fit his scheme, who knows. I'm also not convinced our new special teams coach is all he's cracked up to be. I do think that practicing and preparing for a season with certain personnel and then loosing them has had a huge impact on what we have become.
    Driskel - gone for year
    Jones - gone for year
    Green - gone for year
    Halapio - still not fit for duty
    Debose - gone for year
    Easley - gone forever
    Jacobs - out
    Riggs - ejected
    Powell - out
    Washington - gone for year
    Rolin - gone for year
  16. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    Injuries, transfers/dismissals, and low volume OL recruiting for the last 5 years.

Losing our RT for the year hurt, and we obviously don't have a capable back up.
    Our best guard decided he'd rather ride around on stolen scooters than play football
    Halapio looks to be playing at 50%, clearly isn't healthy, can't sit him down because we don't have a better option.

Even when Halapio & Green are healthy next year we are still going to be thin, a couple injuries and we are playing young or inexperienced players.

I think Humphries can still be a good player for us assuming he has the ability to add another 15-25lbs before next year. It takes a special player to play LT in the SEC as a true Fresh/Soph, due to our lack of depth he had to play before he was physically ready.
  17. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Isn't Halapio a senior?
  18. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    Yep he is my mistake. We're gonna be thin in the middle next year with him & Harrison leaving.
  19. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    The reason our offensive line is struggling is simple - we have become a big slow old Big 10 style team. Our line is getting beat repeatedly by SPEED. The defensive linemen are running around our guys. We have emphasized putting on weight and not quickness. We look like Ohio State did against us in 2006 - remember their QB running for his life all game? This is the reality if the situation. Our coaches made a tactical mistake that had cost us multiple sacks per game. We could make up for it with gameplan but we don't have any good ones.
  20. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    They were constantly chipping fowler with their RB.. A couple of times Mizz LDE went around Moore so quickly, that Moore actually gave him a shove into Murphy. I don't understand why we don't try some of the younger guys their, or at least give our RT some help.

Also, I don't understand why we don't have our OL in a standing position rather than 3 pt. stance, with wider splits when we pass. It might help.

It seems we didn't try anything different with regard to scheme.

I think it's a combo of weak recruiting, and a scheme that isn't flexible to take advantage of what little talent we have.