How were we not prepared for Miami's hurry up offense

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFGator05, Sep 13, 2013.

1. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    in the first half?

We just looked completely unprepared for that tempo and that to me is on WM. now I give him credit, he made adjustments at halftime and the D was suffocating the rest of the game, but getting caught offguard in the first half like that pretty much cost us the game bc of how pedestrian our offense is.

I know I'm late to the discussion, but I didn't really see anyone discussing this particular topic. I mean, we looked completely confused and unprepared on defense for that first half. As bad as the offense played with all the turnovers, we still maybe could have won if the coaching staff prepared for the hurry up offense.

One thing is for sure, other teams will be utilizing the hurry up O against us all season long. Just better hole we will be ready for it...among being prepared in other areas of our game.
  2. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We didn't look ready for any offense in the 1st Qtr, hurry-up or slow-down ... discombobulated is the word ...

Maybe they were doing something alignment-wise that we hadn't seen on film and that broke everybody's brains ...
  3. UFGator05

Ratings Received:
    +744
    It seemed like forever...and it resulted in us being gassed and taking key players off the field. We never came back from that. WM should have prepared them for that
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    1. I agree that they were able to move the ball pretty well early. However...

2. Isn't this normal for last year? It seemed like our defense always gave up most of their yards early in games. E.g. Johnny Football. And...

3. UM ended with 200 yards of offense. I don't care if they all come in the first 5 minutes, that's excellent defense.
  5. UFGator05

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I agree, especially with #3...but WM must have the defense playing sound at all times bc out offense is so bad. This is the style he wants, so it falls on the defense which is unfair.

I just found it shocking how confused we looked in the beginning and it turned out to be the difference in the game.
  6. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +525
    Exactly. I think Miami either had negative yards or under 10 yards in the 2nd quarter, can't quite remember. As long as the adjustments are made, that's great. If they kept moving the ball the whole game, or even a few drives in the 2nd half, then I think there would be valid reasons for concern.
  7. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    we had young secondary playing in a hostile environment had some severe miscommunication, which led to breakdowns. those are things you have to expect will happen no matter how much you prepare. despite they're usual laughable attendance, the stadium was LOUD. driskel had to repeat the play calls several times.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,876
    The players had seen that stuff before in practice and I think they had been prepared they just didn't execute and Muschamp seemed very disappointed by it after the game. Personally I put a lot more blame on the defense than others because you are right they should have played better in the first quarter they know we cant get down early like that.

I am not sure how much adjusting they really needed to do the LB run fits were just bad early from what I remember. They just needed to get their head in the game. They went over that TD Maye gave up too he just got caught looking in the backfield which should not happen.

We should be fine going forward the players know for sure UT and Kentucky will use it from the get go.
  9. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    I also want to point out that we have a rookie defensive coordinator that was essentially coaching as DC in his first big game.

May he been some jitters there early? Maybe?

Who knows.

Hopefully UF comes out for blood against UT next week.
  10. UFGator05

Ratings Received:
    +744
    True about the new DC, but I still feel it's on WM. the defense is his baby and his specialty. If he wants to have a conservative offense and limit Pease's play calling, than he better have that D like a well oiled machine at all times.
  11. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +100
    The D has never seen that before, since our Offense always take the whole play clock in practice.
    After the first series they had experience and where fine.
  12. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    muschamp's defenses usually start slow and make adjustments in the 2nd half
  13. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    It wasn't the first half, it was their first two offensive series in the first quarter. After that we basically shut them down. They gained like 50 yards rushing and 160 passing in the entire game. After the first two series they did next to nothing on offense the rest of the game. And that's after we gave them 5 turnovers.
  14. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    What do you mean we never came back? After their first two series they did virtually nothing the rest of the game.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,463
    Why is it that people don't want to hold the DC responsible when the head coach is defense-oriented? Not only is Durkin new, but we also have seven new starters that are not used to playing together. In my view, they played very well.
  16. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Let's really analyze it...UM gets a turnover at midfield (huge momentum shifter) and make some plays with sprint roll outs and Duke running. Our D did seem a little off guard from the quick shift and not prepared but we force them into a third and long and what should be a field goal coming but Easley gets called for roughing the passer and then Morris makes a nice throw to the corner for the TD. Penalty was a killer. Next possession we stuff them and they have to punt. We block it and miss the 2 pt. conversion (huge momentum shift again). Safety blows coverage and UM connects on a bomb. Rest of the game the D shuts them down. If not for the penalty by Easley and the safety mistake maybe the D gives up a field goal and that's it. I guess Purifoy missed another one on one tackle in the second half that allowed the receiver to pick a bunch of yards on one play as well (sort of reminded me of his missed tackle in the UGA game that cost us the game winning TD). Not enough room to discuss the offensive errors.
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its tough to complain about anything the defense did. They dominated pretty much the whole game.
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,095
    I feel like the defense just wasn't the problem. Our STs scored a TD and our offense still could only manage three FGs. Regardless of a weak first quarter the defense held Miami to 21 points even with five turnovers having been put in terrible field position several times. Sure, our D could have shut Miami out but that's a lot to expect.
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    [​IMG]
  20. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I missed the 1st Quarter when I got back late from the golf course. Sounds like it was a good thing....I may have keeled over! The defense was awesome the entire time I watched them in action. Penalties and turnovers killed us and will continue to do so if we don't solve the problem! This team can play with anybody if we stop beating ourselves. That means no stupid penalties and eliminate the turnovers! Do that and we will play Bama in Atlanta for the SEC Championship!