How to eat foot-long subs and cookies and not gain weight.

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    I do this about once a week. I get a foot-long roasted chicken sub, at Subway, along with a macadamia nut cookie. Sub is about 640 calories, cookie about 220. Total for lunch probably just short of 900 calories, more than my usual lunch, more than most men need to be getting for lunch.

Key: I don't do this every day And I WALK the 1.25 miles to the restaurant and back, 2.5 miles round-trip. No, that doesn't burn off the lunch. But I surmise it does burn off difference between 900 calories and the, oh, 600-700 calories I normally get for lunch.

Again, I'm not big on using exercise to lose weight. But this is weight maintenance and constitutes a conscious strategy to have my cake and eat it too.
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    I'm not trying to be a tease or an imp with posts like these. Strategies like these work for me and others. The point is most people don't make provisions for little splurges like these. They only conjure up resolutions like, "Oh well, I'll go back to eating like I usually do tomorrow."
  3. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    [​IMG]

....and i agree for the most part with your math approach. portion control, portion control, portion control.

case studies are fun.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Especially when there are a sh**-ton of them!

And of course portion control is generally good advice. But who wants to do that to lose weight ? Case studies have also shown that people need foot-long subs and cookies now and again.

*chortles*
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    I think strategies like that are great for people who really enjoy eating (like me). You create an incentive for yourself to exercise and end up burning off the extra calories. I just got back from a round trip walk to Chipotle, the last part in the rain.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    That's what I'm talking about, true mastery over food. You no longer work for it. Rather, you make it work for you.