How the GOP became the “White Man’s Party”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chompalot, Dec 22, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,428
    unConservative my azz- but not surprised you of all people think that

and please explain where I complained about you libs bringing him up
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    no
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Funny thing about that particular idiom is that when Jesus instructed his followers to pick up their own crosses and follow him, he was telling them to crucify or kill their selfish nature. Many people think that 'cross to bear' means it is a burden or responsibility they are forced to carry. For some such a burden might be a humbling experience but in your case you are apparently thinking it is the burden of your anger and resentment towards Obama. You are only hurting yourself by holding on to it as it certainly isn't hurting Obama.

Jesus said his yoke was easy, his burden light. Not to make light of the actual cross he had to bear, but you might find that working to crucify the attitudes of anger and resentment through intercessory prayer and projecting love instead of hate would relieve you of the anger and resentment you think you must bear. Until you can do this, you are not free. Obama will own you.
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,428
    yep- it just means I am a sinner and need to ask for forgiveness and then try harder
  5. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    In order to receive forgiveness for yourself, you must forgive Obama.

"Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."
  6. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Not to interject or make any judgment about anyone here, or suggest anyone here is hating, but I tend to think that when we harbor hate or animosity towards another, we are as it has been said, letting them live 'rent-free' in our minds, and this to me is unhealthy for the person holding such feelings (which is kind of what you appear to be saying, albeit with the connection to religion).

I also tend to believe this type of negative thinking really hurts our politics as many of us (myself included) can sometimes focus way way too much on what we might not like about our political opponents, thus over-emphasizing these negative characteristics and diminishing what are probably very good characteristics (though no doubt some real crooks exists, regardless).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    blew the budget and deficit thru the roof. never wrote a balanced budget. multiple tax hikes. loosened abortion rights as a governor. amnesty for illegal immigrants. greatly increased size of federal govt. pushed for ban on nuclear weapons.
    What exactly made him a conservative, other than vetoing the anti-apartheid act?

maybe I misunderstood. why exactly are you complaining about liberals discussing Reagan after a conservative brought him up?
  8. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Has Obama asked for forgiveness? Has he given any indications that he is truly sorry for the damage that he has done with his incompetence?
  9. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Most republicans after about 2006 admitted that GWB was acting foolishly and the spending and "stimulus" were out of control and not actually stimulating the economy. But I don't see any evidence that GWB acted like a king. Do you have any?

Why don't you tell me of an example of a piece of legislation as massive in scope as Obamacare that GWB promoted and signed into law (there weren't any), had it barely pass through the Supreme Court as constitutional, and then started modifying it on an almost daily basis, making certain groups exempt, etc. Would the Supreme Court decide today that the current version of Obamacare is constitutional? I don't know. But it seems a bit suspicious to pass legislation that barely meets the requirements of constitutionality, and then make major modifications to it. And when the said legislation was passed with no input from the opposition party (apparently they didn't want to ride in the back of the bus), of course there is going to be friction. The problems of the last two presidents seem to stem from coming into office in the first term with a friendly Congress, and a tendency towards arrogance. Presidents that start with an unfriendly Congress are more likely to learn how to deal with a 2-party system and negotiate for the things they want.
  10. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    I don't see evidence of any of them acting like a king. I only mentioned Bush because you included him.
  11. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Most people would find it at least somewhat imperialistic for the president to essentially re-write one of the largest and most consequential pieces of legislation in history on the fly. If the legislation was seriously flawed (and in multiple ways), should he not ask Congress to re-write it? Isn't it the responsibility of the legislative branch to write the laws? Doesn't that bother you at all that the president is taking on additional power here that the constitution probably did not intend him to have? At what point would you be bothered by these exercises of executive orders? When a republican does it?