How ro eat a whole pizza and lose weight ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    Just had the occasional hankering to eat an entire pizza, eight slices in all, around 1,500 calories. Two bowls of salad. Two glasses of wine. Polished off with large Snickers bar and banana.

Strategy: skipped breakfast, per usual. Also skipped lunch. Skipped breakfast the following day, per usual. Lighter lunch than usual. Resumed with normal-sized dinner and dessert.

Was down nearly a pound this morning.

Basically, it amounted to a rare dinner-to-dinner fast plus a little fine-tuning. The dinner-to-dinner fast is not difficult in that you get to sleep through a third of it and eat dinner both days.
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,922
    I apply similar strategies to my love of wings. I'll fast from dinner to dinner to eat about 18 XL wings and 40 oz of micro brew.

I only do this about once a quarter.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    Yep, I'm no more inclined to do something like this, on a regular basis, than I am to make a splurge purchase every week. Nonetheless, something on a smaller scale might be a regular feature. It's all in the budgeting. We do it with money. Why not with food ?

Note: that was about a 2,300 calorie meal. But recall that I'm very light. It might be 3,000 or more for a larger guy.

Aside: no, this did not amount to the perception of gorging. I felt full but not like a beached whale. That's something I never seek to pursue. Don't like the feeling of being incapacitated by food. But that a skinny guy can pack away 2,300 calories, in a single sitting, and not feel full should stand as a friendly warning.
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    So the answer is to eat a pizza, and starve yourself till the weight is gone.

gotcha.

I'm gonna take it a step further.

How to lose 20 pounds:

Don't eat. Just drink water for as long as it takes for you to weigh 20 lbs less.

Note: You will need to ignore hunger pangs like africans do to achieve this goal.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    You're talking to a guy who acknowledges such as a live option. In the Third World people are dying of starvation. In the US people are dying of gluttony. And some physicians are reversing hypertension with extended water fasts. Not my cup of tea. For one thing, I like tea. But obviously the fasts are yielding the opposite results of harming people.
  6. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +908
    ^ I hear ya, but it's not rocket science, and it's a little crazy.

What ever happened to a healthy diet including 3 meals and plenty of exercise? Has that ever not worked?
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    Well, we're not exactly getting rocket science from the mainstream approach.

And 'healthy diet' isn't even in my lexicon. What does it mean ? In my estimation the unhealthiest aspect of the American diet BY FAR is that it contains too many calories.

Additionally (and this plays into the former), I look far and wide for Americans who are getting three meals a day. Three meals a day means you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner AND and an unspecified number of snacks. Very much in the American lexicon:

" ... to tide me over."
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    American culture is gluttony. I try and live with a disciplined dietary intake, particularly during the week. But on the weekends, I have a mental need to just gorge myself with bad food. I eat pretty unhealthy on Friday and Sat. night.

I typically gain 3-5 pounds on the weekend, and shed that weight by Wednesday.

My rule is, "know thyself." If I don't stay disciplined during the week, I'm screwed, because I know I will eat and eat and eat. It's particularly easy for me because I almost never get full!!!
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Couldn't say it better than Brad Pilon so why try. Our way clearly isn't working, 2/3rds of us are overweight. Might it be past time to consider trying different ways of thinking? I think it is. Not saying Dream's way is the only way but it might just be A way for those who have tried unsuccessfully with the conventional American diet.

Fasting is not that crazy actually, its been practiced for hundreds of years and going 16-24-40 hours without food does not equal starvation.
  10. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Diet is a way of life. You want to starve yourself to lose weight? Fantastic, but that's not a long term weight loss solution. What Dream is feeding is F'n crazy. Eat healthy (meat, fruit, veggies, grains) and work out. Crap man... starvation diet is the worst weight loss solution on earth, going back to the 60's.

Work out, get a sweat, and eat right. Viola, fat leaves your body.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Look you have no clue what you are talking about. You have no idea what actually starving means and you certainly haven't read any of the recent literature on intermittent fasting. Dream is not talking about starving himself in fact he is simply allocating his calories into fewer large meals. I'm sorry you are too stubborn to see that outside your world view there are other ways to do things.

If eating "healthy" works for you great, its just not the only way to do it.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    Nobody, repeat: NOBODY in America is starving. You're starving because it's 1:30 and you're late for lunch. Little Akbar is starving because his mom and dad were killed in the civil war and he hasn't had anything to eat in three weeks. Get a grip.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    I didn't mention the fact that, last week, my wife brought home a massive German Chocolate cake that someone made for her birthday. FIVE nights in a row I had a slab of cake with a scoop of Moose Tracks ice cream.

Result: no weight gain.

I simply trimmed a bit from lunch and dinner.