How much less would Saturday's loss bother you...if there was an 8-team playoff?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LincolnGator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I think the question might be self-explanatory, but in case not:

If the top 8 BCS-ranked teams played a championship tournament, we would have made it in last year without even winning the SEC. We'd still be in contention to do that again this year, even after the UM loss. In other words, we'd still have a path to a national championship that doesn't necessarily go through Atlanta.

Now granted it's UM, so there's a certain amount of sting associated with this particular loss that doesn't even have anything to do with our BCS hopes. I live in Miami, nobody needs to tell me that.

Generally speaking though, how much would an 8-team playoff format lessen the "end of the world" despair of early-season losses like this one? Are you looking forward to that day coming, as much as I am?

Or do you regard the intensity and "must win" drama as part of the allure of college football, which has the most meaningful regular season - or at least, the least room for error during the regular season - of any major spectator sport?
  2. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I actually think it would have bothered me more because with a win there we could still lose a game and be in the top 8. Now we used up our one loss on a game we should have won
  3. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Not much. I think a 1 loss SEC champ is in the champ game. A 2 loss, non-SEC champ probably isn't in the 8-team playoff.
  4. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Hate losing to a rival and losing the way we did so no I would still be pissed.
  5. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    For the most part I'd agree with you, but it is a possibility, depending of course on what happens with teams in other conferences.
  6. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I hear you. I did acknowledge that this particular loss is going to hurt no matter what, because of the opponent.

If we had lost to a respectable non-conference team that is not a bitter rival, like Clemson for example, then the existence of an 8-team playoff format would've taken some of the sting out for me.

Bottom line as it stands now, our one and only way to win the National Championship this year is to win out and win the SEC. Some people probably say, "...and that's the way it SHOULD be." Personally, I wish our backs weren't so up against the wall just yet.
  7. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    zero, preposterous
  8. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    But what about if there was the possibility of a rematch with UM in the course of that 8-team playoff??
  9. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    None. I'd need some hope we could actually beat somebody in the top 8 first. Now, if you're talking about something like the 2001 team, the lack of an 8 team playoff that year would have soothed some of that pain.
  10. bayou_gator

Ratings Received:
    +376
    At lotto odds? Would not salve the feeling of losing to a chump program that has recruiting and severe financial, ncaa, etc., problems anyway.
    You realize the four team playoff is bound by TV contract for ~12 years, no?
  11. bayou_gator

Ratings Received:
    +376
    espin paid $7.3 billion for it to run at LEAST thru the 2025 season.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,975
    The playoff system is irrelevant in how I feel about how we played against Miami. The goals are still in place. What I worry about, and still do, is what we are able to do when Plan A isn't working. What is Plan B? I just hope that Muschamp sees that sticking with Plan A is not always the best choice. And to simplify why it doesn't always work, if we don't get enough turnovers on D to counter the O's mistakes (TOs, penalties) then the few mistakes on D can - and did - have an effect on the outcome of the game.

And as I have posted before, the time to test out Plan B is during games that are not really in doubt. IMO, Toledo was that kind of a game.
  13. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    I'm not in favor of any changes that reduce the importance of regular season games. It makes college football what it is.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    This. Would make no difference in how I felt about losing to a team we should be 10 out of 10 times.
  15. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Okay, well I was trying to focus the question on early season losses in general more so than this particular loss to the Hurricanes.

And yes I do realize that there is a contract in place. Contracts can be re-negotiated. When they see how much more money and interest is generated by those two playoff games than by any two BCS (non-championship) Bowl Games, I firmly believe we'll be going to an 8-team playoff within six years, if not four.
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Honestly, none. I'm mad that we lost to Miami. I haven't even thought about any NC implications yet.
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    There is a big difference in how some of us view losses. I've said before (regarding losses to Tennesse or UK in basketball and regarding losses to UGA or FSU or whomever in football) that I'm not concerned about head-to-head results; I am concerned about overall season results.

So, my primary thoughts about the Miami loss immediately went to the implications for our end-of-season possibilities, which for me personally always include the hope that we may contend for a NC. To me, concerns about bragging rights in a rivalry game, although not completely absent, are very minor in comparison.
  18. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Okay. I give up. Nobody can get past the Miami factor, and I understand that.

It would have made more sense to pose the question to Georgia fans after their loss to Clemson, assuming that Clemson is not a big non-conference rival of theirs.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Don't think either UF or UM would even make it into an 8 team playoff.
  20. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Well the way we played I don't know if I would imagine we could beat many teams this year. Also an 8 team play off diminishes the value or the regular season. So it makes the sport much less interesting than it is if you are done if you lose 1 or 2 games. But I like the odds that it increases our chancing of winning it each year because we could still get in with 2 or 3 loses.