How much does food influence health ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
  2. mastoidbone

mastoidbone VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I would LOVE to disagree with you----but it is difficult. Aside from well know deficiencies from vitamins, certain amino acids---it is difficult to PROVE.
    But even some of those assumptions are being questioned.

This guy ate meat and fish for 9 years---and did well.
    http://www.mendosa.com/stefansson1.htm

I was LONG taught that high fiber diet would prevent western conditions like diverticulosis----well.....that might not be the case.....
    http://www.gastroendonews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=In+the+News&d_id=187&i=July2011&i_id=748&a_id=17528

In fact, patients in the highest quartile of fiber intake, compared with those in the lowest quartile, had an increased prevalence ratio of 1.30 (95% confidence interval, 1.13-1.50; P<0.05).

“This association was dose-dependent,” Dr. Peery said. “With each increasing quartile you see increasing prevalence.”

Investigators also found that for patients with less than two diverticula, fiber did not play a role; however, in patients with high total dietary fiber intake, there was an increased prevalence of three or more diverticula. Fat and red meat intake and physical activity level had no association with diverticulosis.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Add to that two recent studies that show people with high cholesterol living longer than people with low cholesterol!
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    My father was slim, athletic and a non-smoker. He died of cancer at the age of 39.

His bother, my uncle, raised on the same diet - and having endured to the era of processed foods - is now 82.
  5. holloffamer

holloffamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    This is the irony sometimes. So it makes me think that there really is no assurance even if you are fit as a horse.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    That's all I'm saying: there are no assurances. Now, one may be wise to hedge their bets. But again, since there is no guarantee, why not at least eat the foods one truly enjoys ?
  7. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Went on a high fiber diet once. Fiber in the morning, afternoon and evening, Two months later I passed a wicker basket!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I believe that certain food intolerances or allergies cause a lot of auto-immune diseases. One website to look at is www.dogtorj.com.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Sure but are they common? And if you aren't allergic is there good reason to avoid certain foods?
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Yes, there are food sensitivities. Although I suspect there prevalence is exaggerated. Ex: probably no more than 6% of the population is actually gluten-sensitive.

What I (and I suspect the article writer) had in mind was the notion, "If I eat this food, I'll live longer. And if I eat this food, it could shorten my life." That kind of thing.
  11. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    Well, all I know is that when I stay away from processed foods, I perform way better in the gym. It's very noticeable.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Paleos I know eat processed foods. They can hardly avoid it. On the balance, I think processing is a good thing. I've also noted that:

(1) Americans are living longer than ever.

(2) Americans are eating more processed foods than ever before.

Therefore:

(3) Processed foods are the key to longevity.

Seriously, 'processed' has replaced 'boo!' as the term most used to frighten Americans.
  13. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I'm doing a paleo challenge in my gym right now, and I'm being pretty strict with it. For the most part, I'm eating raw food vegan w/ some meat. I'm not going low carb at all. My fruit intake is pretty high. I'm not worrying about any macronutrient balances...I'm taking in plenty of coconut oil, too. Lots of green shakes, too.

When the paleo challenge is over, I'll try to stick with eating lots of raw foods, but beer and all its delicious gluten, will be back in the rotation.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    :joecool: on the beer especially.
  15. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    The comments in this thread leaves me shaking my head. The idea that the food you eat has no influence on your health is frankly.........dumb. It's like saying you can put diesel fuel in a gasoline engine and it will run fine. Americans aren't living longer, we just have fewer Americans dying of disease because of better health care. Having an uncle who smoked and lived to be 82, while a fitness freak died in his 30's means nothing. Come on! This isn't rocket science, it's common sense.

A persons diet determines whether or not they have all the nutrients they need to grow and repair their various systems, and those requirements change as we age. It also controls the amount of inflammation we have. Inflammation causes a number of diseases like heart disease and cancer. Our diet controls our blood sugar levels which can lead to insulin resistance, weight gain in the torso, and ultimately diabetes. I can go on and on.

So don't fool yourself into thinking you can eat that double beef whooper with cheese and a large fries because you think it doesn't matter, because it does.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    We just don't need anymore slovenly 'fuel' analogies, like yours. And we're trying to get away from this sort of unscientific hysteria.

Bear in mind that we're all going to die. YOU are going to die and there's nothing you can do about it.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Damn now I want some Burger King.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Don't do it! You'll DIE!!!
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Oh wow good thing you caught me. Ill just get chinese instead.
  20. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    We? Who is "we?" Hey, I don't care if you junk food yourself into a coma, but you're "we're going to die anyway" attitude is just stupid. Food is the fuel that powers our body, and it's also the medicine that heals our body. Those are the scientific facts.
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hmn/w10/feature2.cfm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/436878-how-unhealthy-food-affects-running-performance/