1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

How long might UF's streak continue?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    UF is currently in a 21 consecutive SEC winning streak. So how long might UF's SEC winning streak continue?

Here is UF's SEC schedule:

Jan. 7: at South Carolina, 7 p.m., SEC Network
    Jan. 10: Mississippi State, tbd, FSN
    Jan. 15: Auburn, 7 p.m., ESPN2
    Jan. 17: at Georgia, 2 p.m., CBS
    Jan. 20: LSU, 7 p.m., ESPN
    Jan. 24: at Ole Miss, SEC Network
    Jan. 27: at Alabama, 9 p.m., ESPN
    Jan. 31: Arkansas, 1 p.m., CBS
    Feb. 3: at Vanderbilt, 9 p.m., ESPN
    Feb. 7: Kentucky, 9 p.m., ESPN
    Feb. 12: Ole Miss, 7 p.m., ESPN2
    Feb. 14: at Texas A&M, tbd, SEC Network
    Feb. 18: Vanderbilt, 7 p.m., SEC Network
    Feb. 21: at LSU, noon, CBS
    Feb. 24: at Missouri, 9 p.m., ESPN
    Feb. 28: Tennessee, tbd, ESPN2
    March 3: Texas A&M, 9 p.m., ESPNU
    March 7: at Kentucky, 2 p.m., CBS

UF is a young team and Frank Martin teams play tough, so I view the opener at SoCar a possible loss. However, UF will be favored and certainly could win. If UF wins that game, I could see UF continuing the streak awhile even though Pearl in the 3rd game has at times in the past had Donovan's number.

To me the biggest threats to the streak are late in the schedule, ie at LSU on 21 Feb, at UMo on 24 Feb and at UK on 7 Mar. Of course any road game can be lost, games like UAR and LSU at home are tough and on a bad night you can lose to anyone.
  2. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    I agree that the SEC winning streak may very well end on the road at South Carolina. Late last season, Florida barely pulled of that win with heroics from Frazier's numerous, long-range bombs from the 3-point line! Good guard play will be the key to winning that game again.

To me, winning on the road will be the key to extending the winning streak for as long as possible. The Georgia game on the road looks challenging as well. But late in January, Florida will get many of the SEC-contenders at home like the following: LSU (good frontline?), Arkansas (top contender behind UF & UK), Kentucky, and Ole Miss.

Also last season, winning that Arkansas game on the road was the key to UF going on a long SEC winning streak. Kentucky could not match that road win and ended up chasing the Gators all last season. I would be curious to compare UK's SEC schedule with UF's to see where a given team may have potential pitfalls and where on the schedule someone may take an early lead on the competition!
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    To answer the original question, I think that the winning streak could go as high as 14 more wins (35 straight total). The first SEC losses could come on the road against Missouri and Kentucky due to late season fatigue; 16-2 could be UF's final SEC record.

I am assuming that Florida will field another great defensive team with efficient offense; that Florida has sufficient depth in the back court (Hill, Chiozza, Frazier, Francis, & ?) and sufficient depth in the front-court (DFS, C.Walker, Horford, Robinson, & Murphy) and no injuries next year (i.e Hill w/ an ankle sprain).

I think the top SEC contenders should be rated like the following:

1a. Florida
    1b. Kentucky (Could be a two-way tie for the SEC title next year!)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2a. Arkansas (H)
    2b. Georgia (A)
    3a. Missouri (A)
    3b. LSU
    4a. Ole Miss
    4b. Alabama (A)
    5a. South Carolina (A)
    5b. Tennessee (H)
    5c. Vanderbilt
    6. Texas A&M
    7. Auburn (H)
    8. Mississippi St (H)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    Lsu or uk. I don't see us losing to anybody else. Of course it is hoops so put the cooler on the shooters and anything can happen.
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    We can talk all we want about Frank Martin's teams "always playing tough," but we've beaten his South Carolina squads by 16, 26 and 39 points the last two years. South Carolina is awful until proven otherwise.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452
    Look at last year. Auburn gave us two really tough games and they SUCKED. Well, except for guard play where they were pretty good. Kind of like UCONN, but UCONN was a bit better in the front court.

Counting W's and L's ahead of time doesn't work. Usually there are surprises.

I was at both Auburn games, BTW. The night before the game in Auburn I mentioned to my wife that we really needed to go see an away game sometime and she said that now is as good a time as ever. It was a freaking long day, but we did the round trip from Gainesville to Auburn and back with my youngest son. And there were a lot of Gators representing in the stands. Good times.
  8. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    South Carolina hung in for a while in Columbia, but the game ended up being a 72-46 blowout.
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    All road games in the SEC are potential losses.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +418
    I feel I can say with absolute assurance that at the end of this season, that winning streak will be somewhere between 21 and 42 games.

Basically, any team can win any game and also lose any game. That's why the games are played. I expect the next SEC loss to occur sometime between games 6 and 12.