How Kurt Roper is getting Driskel and Gators up to speed (must read)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Apr 29, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...per-is-getting-driskel-and-gators-up-to-speed

Most of the article is about Driskel but this shouldn't get lost in all the QB talk. I really like our starting OL groups it is extremely talented. I would like to see Rod Johnson get a full camp in and battle Moore for the left guard spot.

Q: What was the most pleasant surprise you had this spring?

Roper: We've got some guys up front that that are pretty good. We've just got to stay healthy because we're not loaded with numbers, but our starting five is pretty talented.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Q: Besides his obvious physical size, what really stands out that impresses you about Driskel's talent?

Roper: He has everything physically. He does have great size, but he can really run. He's a fast guy. He can start quickly. He can change direction. His top-end speed is really good for a quarterback. He has a really good arm. He's accurate. I like his throwing motion. It's fast-twitch. He possesses everything.

His touch throws and his down-the-field throws are our focus fundamentally right now. If you were building a quarterback, you'd start with what this guy has.

Q: What do you tweak mechanically when it comes to the deep ball or the touch throws?

Roper: With the touch throws, you gotta feel it come out of your fingers more. It's almost like he's not feeling it roll off his index finger enough. What I'm trying to get him to do, is on touch throws, get him up a little bit more on his toes and really feel it come out of his fingers, so it's less arm and more fingers. On the down-the-field throws, it's the same thing. When you finish, you have to finish a little bit higher with your release and feel it come off your fingers to control the amount of air. A lot of guys will throw it too flat. That's what happens when they try to over-throw it or try to strong-arm it. He needs more touch, more fingers on both those types of throws.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    Thanks Az. Great to read about Roper coaching Jeff on touch passes. He's obviously a coach who knows how to diagnose and prescribe.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    He has one year to get Jeff's head right. And then it is time to move on. JMHO
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Not sure about a fast twitch arm action. My biggest concern is fast twitch decision making
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Good read, thanks
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Jeff is either going to the NFL or will be the starting QB for UF in 2015. Jeff's head is fine JMHO
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    His background in HS has put him in the "do it all" mode whereas he has needed to let his players around him to make plays (and block). Can he do it in the big games and against top defenses?
  9. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Good read, I think we all know Jeff has the physical tools. IF the o-line can stay healthy Jeff will no doubt do well in this offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    He will be here in 2015 and be a first round pick when he leaves, kids got everything just has to put it all together.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I have always been a Jeff believer. The tools have been there its the reason he was the top QB in HS. The problem was and always was the system and coaching. He has a very good arm, incredible running ability, and does a lot of things WELL that were never fully used. If he was under an offense like we ran with Mullen here, he would have been one heck of a QB I feel. So I believe he will do very well this year pending he can get protection.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    All about building timing into the footwork. Love hearing that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I would love to see Driskel become the absolute best he can be and if Roper can do it, more power to him.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    I want him to do well so bad. That kid has never complained, never got in trouble... Just kept his head down and did his best. How can you not pull for him?
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    From what I've read, it appears that Jeff is actually being coached up. Probably for the first time time.

You have to be impressed with Roper after reading this.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,052
    I believe , in the shotgun or pistol, we're gonna see a different JD...he became the number 1 QB in the nation while working out of the shotgun in highschool. I could tell in the orange and blue game that he was more comfortable and had a quicker, more crisp distribution of the ball to the WR's and TE. When comfortable, he could be VERY dangerous. This offense will go as the QB and OL goes. If all goes well we could be good...maybe even special. Thanks for the read, AZ.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Nice article on the technical coaching he's getting. Sounds right on. If he is successful there and he gets the mindset right, Jeff could have a huge year. He definitely has the potential, and he has talent around him.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    IMO, Jeff made big strides in that area last season... I think his "fast twitch decision making" was mostly good when he was in situations where he was just playing, and not thinking too much. Mindset in the red zone and big moments needs work, IMO.

The QB needs to be the equivalent of the guy you trust on the free throw line to win the game in hoops. He has to want that moment and embrace that moment without over thinking it. And that is not easy. Plenty of outstanding athletes don't have that.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    I think, still, the biggest issue with Driskel is going to be getting rid of the football.

If he can do that, it'll cut down on negative plays, fumbles, and turnovers. I really feel that in his career, the vast majority of his mistakes have come on plays where he held the ball too long.

If Roper can somehow get him past his tendency to hold on to the football for so long, it'll pay huge dividends for the offense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,090
    In Roper's offense Jeff's foot speed and leg strength along with an improved receiving corps will make him a very good SEC QB. For the first time since he arrived on campus he has an offense geared to utilize his strengths to the max. I'm praying he can stay healthy for the '14 season. If he does we should actually beat some of the better teams on our schedule. I'm looking forward to seeing the team progress as the season plays out rather than going in the opposite direction. I'd love to be making the 3 hour drive to Atlanta after we beat FSU.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1