How is our offensive line depth?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, May 13, 2014.

1. G8tas

G8tas Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    Do we have 8 guys that we can rely on?
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
  3. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Unfortunately, 4 of them are on the DL.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont think we do. I think we have 6 with a likely 7 if Rod Johnson goes through fall camp. Muschamp said he think he can find the 8th one I have my doubts
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    Well, if we stay healthy that may not be a bad thing. Honestly, when you have a solid OL unit there isn't much rotation. However, I think Thurman & Dillard are ready to contribute. Also, if Sarvary has a good offseason he could be servicable. Johnson will be a bonus if he comes back healthy...and Sharpe is also a bonus. W/ those 5 I think we can find #6, 7, & 8.

I just hope Garcia learns to snap the ball....Greene stays healthy....Brown loses a few lbs's....Moore shows marked improvement....and Humphries stays over 290lbs. Is that too much to ask??
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    Hate to say it, but there is a significant drop off after the starting 5. Pretty sure the coaches have been high on O.Jackson. Sharpe can probably develop into a contributor. That said, when your plan for depth involves hoping that a true freshman matures fast enough, you may be in trouble.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I feel good about Humpries Moore Garcia Brown Green Thurman Johnson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harkless plays before Sharpe if he gains some more weight hopefully neither have to play.

We need one of Dillard Sarvary Riles to step up. I actually think Riles has the athletic ability to play OL he will need to add some weight though.

Not worried about the Garcia snap issue he works hard and they have all summer to work on that.

People love talking about Roper but Summer's was a big acquisition as well. He did a real nice job with limited number as USC last year. His center also got drafted last weekend. He had never played center until last year.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Jackson is no longer on the football team
  9. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Mike Summers came to Pensacola as part of the Spring speaking tour. He said that he had a lot of confidence in the starting five but was concerned about depth. Thought they needed to stay healthy and continue to develop backups as quickly as possible in the fall.
  10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Thurman is #6 right now. Johnson should be a good one once he gets healthy. We need Savary to step up as he was brought in for immediate depth. Haven't heard much about his development yet. Relying on OL freshmen is dicey no matter how talented they were as prospects.
  11. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Staying healthy is the key to our success. Our OL 1's should be serviceable. Hopefully, the new offensive scheme doesn't become as predictable and we have options off our typical looks. Our previous scheme/tendencies put lots of pressure on the OL. If Roper can reinstill Driskel's confidence and develop one or two big play people, we should be able to compete with the majority of our schedule. It will be a welcome experience to see the ball thrown down the field on occasion.
  12. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    The odds of us getting through the season with no serious O-line injuries are slim indeed. In a "line of scrimmage" league, we aren't where we need to be. Hopefully, Roper can adjust for it.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont really y think Driskel's confidence has gone anywhere. He seems real confident in interviews. Now what has changed if fans confidence in him.

I am interested to see how people react if we just run the ball and dink and dunk passes down the field. Many fans were calling for HUNH coordinators that do just that. Roper actually does a lot of that and then will take a shot down field.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,869
    Throw the ball down the field? Don't you know time of posession is more important than anything else? "runs away"
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,950
    I get the humor, but the ongoing stuff around here about Muschamp being averse to throwing down field is inaccurate and lazy.

We tried to throw down field but we were pretty chitty at it due to a combination of OL, QB and WR issues. And we were still pretty chitty at it in the Spring game. If we don't get better in all three position groups, we won't see much of it this year either. But it won't be for lack of wanting to.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    You mean....that doesn't work?
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Funny thing about TOP stat is it seemed like only reporters and people that hated running the ball talked about it. When Muschamp was asked about it he said it isnt an important stat.

It is going to be real interesting to see how people feel about the offense we run this year. Some people might be a little shocked and ticked off about Roper's philosophy.
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    Which will be?

I am not expecting much but hope we see improvement in our Total and Scoring offense. My feeling is we likely won't have the complete package of players needed because there we just don't have enough talent that's mature enough and and ready for big time college ball. Add to that it is Roper and team's first year running the system- which will likely still be a work in progress mid-season- and we have the potential to have a lot of fans asking why it's not "fixed" already. IF our 2013 and 2014 classes pan out we are still likely two seasons from being good again. It doesn't have to take that long but odds are it will.
  19. LTG61

LTG61 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    I've pretty much given up putting any stock in what Coach says. That this thread exists at all demonstrates what I mean: one of the first things he said is that the SEC is a line-of-scrimmage league, but in year 4 UF can't even go two deep on the OL. smh
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    Wow. Had no idea that his injury was permanent. Thanks.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16