How is it that BD remains at uf?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator34654, Jan 29, 2014.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Obviously we are seeing this differently, but that event indicated to me that it is unlikely that he won't leave for an NBA job at some point. Particularly when he talked about the excitement of a new challenge and being able to concentrate just on basketball all the time.

Remember, Spurrier was set to leave for the NFL in 1995 and came back. I believe that he said that he had his bags packed.
  2. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,754
    Underpaid.
  3. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Only behind Pitino, Calipari and Coach K.
  4. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Top 15 football, top 5 basketball. That looks more accurate. :)
  5. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    College basketball relies a lot on coaching. Pro basketball is about stars. No offense, but even Phil Jackson would be getting creamed with my Magic's line up without a real chance of winning most games.
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    It's all about that individual's goals. For some, it's very ego driven; if you want to be the best, you have to coach the best. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, it doesn't seem as though our coach is driven purely by such things.

I'm sure he's well aware of what he's creating, his current legacy, and his potential legacy; and there's little doubt this is a driving force for Billy, but he seems to truly care about being a positive influence on youth and creating accountable, self-reliant men.

Let's hope these things along with the town and university we all love are enough to keep the man here for a long time, but if he leaves tomorrow, I surely hope there is no ill-will from Gator Nation.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499

He has said UF gave him a chance to be a major collage coach when he was young and basically had little experience e as a head coach. I went to here him speak at the Holiday Inn here in Lake City when he was first hired. You could tell then by the way he spoke he was going to be a good one
  8. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    NO!! I don't have a link, but just my own opinion. I believe the NBA is something like the Mafia. Now obviously there was no need for retribution after his 2 days on the job but these guys are men who have made in some cases more than a billion and they remember stuff like that---for a long time and they are at the end--except for Cuban---ONE big FAMILY. IF that is true, his choice would be another college and maybe he figures being in the Top 5 in salary with the court eventually named after himself is enough.
  9. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    I mean how many successful coaches at the major programs(I mean title contenders like UNC, Duke, UCLA, Michigan State, etc....) voluntarily leave for other jobs? Granted Roy Williams left elite Kansas to go to another elite school, but that was because of his connections to North Carolina. You just don't see it happen that much in college basketball unless they are fired, sanctioned by the NCAA, or bolt for the NBA.

Tom Izzo-Michigan State
    Coach K- Duke
    Jim Boeheim- Syracuse
    Jim Calhoun- UCONN
    Jaime Dixon- Pittsburgh
    Jay Wright- Villanova
    John Thompson III- Georgetown
    Rick Pitino-Louisville
    Bill Self- Kansas

Those are some examples of coaches that have been at their respective schools for a pretty decent length of time. Usually once coaches build a strong, winning program at a major school, they tend to stay for as long as their success can be maintained.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,183
    Because Texas is pretty much the ultimate college coaching gig. Anyone with enough ambition to coach division one college fb is not going to stay at Louisville when Texas is offered up - no one.
  11. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I believe in the last 40 years there has only been ONE coach who demonstrated he could win at pro and collegiate level--Larry Brown. Pitino, Calipari, Montgomery and others demonstrated they better have a whole LOT of talent or they were just another guy as far as the NBA goes. If they can handpick players every year in college they are pretty good but that has usually been the MO of a "Shingle School" coach.
  12. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,183
    We hit the jackpot, won the lottery with Billy D. Now that he is an icon, I think he'll stay. Amazing what he has done and he is a complete, great person - not a bobby knight ahole basketball savant but a real old school inspirational leader of men in life and basketball. I'm an old school gator, I've seen the abyss. I will be in awe of Billy D no matter what happens - even if he left us to -choke- coach Georgia...

Okay - he's great though....
    • Like Like x 1
  13. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +735
    Don't know that it's been said but at least some of the D family are big into horses. I KNOW they utilize Ocala and not every school has such easy access to real horse country. I believe the D family understand what is important in life and know that they already have it in G-ville. No need to chase after something you already have.

And G-ville: great small town, great weather, close to world class beaches (surf on one side, fishing boating, diving on both), year round golf, Orlando and everything it offers, events/entertainment (both big and small), the Keys, etc.
  14. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +226
    When he retires (or maybe before) he will not only have the basketball complex named after him, he will probably have a bronze statue built of him in front of the building. If he goes to the NBA he would be just another good or very good BB coach. If he stays at UF he winds up being a Rupp, or a Wooden, i.e., a legend. Money is not an object here. He can make as much as he wants through endorsements. What it is is how does he want to be remembered. His Legacy. I really think he stays the course.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    Here's to this!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    Also ksagator said:
    "I think that you reach a point where the identity of the program and the identity of the great head coach become difficult to separate. Billy IS UF basketball. His name will be on the building one day. I think his emotional connection to the program is far too great for him to leave for another school and expect to have the same level of passion and personal interest in its success as he does at UF. Maybe he will decide that he has to give the NBA a shot, just for his career development (although he tried that once and found that he couldn't tear himself away). I can't imagine he would leave for another college job."

Above are two grand quotes as to why I think Billy stays at Florida and stays a long time.
    He came to Florida not because of our tradition as a basketball school but because he knew that Florida had the money, the facilities, the in-state athletes to contend for greatness. In essense, he saw that Florida had the real potential for greatness... and he wanted to capitalize on that potential. Since that time in the mid-90's... he has done exactly that.
    Two National Championships and several SEC Championships.

But as the posters above have pointed out... it is more than the Championships... it is the connectivity that Billy has aquired in all of those years. Yes, he knows that can be the "Rupp" at Florida...if he is not already at that status.
    He knows that long after he is gone... long after all the wins and the championships...
    ...he and his family will always be regarded as, "The Face Of Florida Basketball."

And nobody will be able to take that away from him and his family. Irregardless of the millions that he makes... that emotional... and real connectivity will always be there for him and his family.
    Billy knows that million of dollars alone can never buy that.

If one looks at all the factors and timing of the hiring of Billy... this lone fact becomes very obvious:

The University of Florida became the perfect marriage for Billy D.
    Billy D. became the perfect marriage for the University of Florida.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

Yeah I agree with that. Its just an odd fit for him media wise. He certainly seems to be a good coach, but he's one of the least well spoken you'll see at a big time school.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,183
    Really? I haven't noticed that. I think he's articulate enough - really didn't notice him sticking out in that department. I'm trying to think of other coaches - particularly in the SEC that have strong southern accents. Media wise, yeah maybe. I dunno, I think he has more charisma than Mac Brown but that can be said of 99% of the population.
  19. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Personally I think BD tries to join the 900-win club at UF.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Huh? That's ridiculous; I've always thought he was a great speaker, and somebody you could learn something from if you bothered to listen to his game analyses.

I've heard countless bball coaches at big-time programs who'd make you think English wasn't their native tongue; several of them just in the SEC.

Here's a tweet from one of them...

[​IMG]

Of course, he played his college ball at UMass under Cal; so I'm guessing even if you stay all 4 years you don't make many of your remedial English 100 classes.