How is it that BD remains at uf?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator34654, Jan 29, 2014.

1. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    I thought the same thing of Charlie Strong prior to him leaving for Texas. Adored and highly paid football coach at a basketball school. Why leave for a meat grinder?
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    I think Billy has in Gainesville everything he could ever want. Great job who pays well, in which he is respected and has a great boss. He is in a place in which his family is happy, and has stability. For someone who is truly family oriented to have the luxury to bring up his kids in the same place, somewhere where they can grow roots is truly priceless.
    Where else could he have all in one neat little package? Nowhere else IMO
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +458
    Billy's proven he can win national titles at Florida. That's the ultimate goal for a college basketball coach.

Maybe Strong wasn't convinced that he could attract the talent to win a national title at Louisville. That's why Kruger left Florida.

Of course, Kruger was wrong. :)
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619

Good point. I thought UL was perfect for him.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    There are a number of reasons he loves it here at UF, but no one has been more influential in him staying than Jeremy Foley. Not even close.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Gator34654, your post shows both a lack of knowledge (I assume you are a football fan, due to the statement about the football team stinking - you try playing with 30 injuries in your 2 deep), and a basic lack of understanding of the fact that some people, like Billy D, are motivated by different things that what apparently motivates you.

He is primarily a family man, and a devout Catholic. Both he and his family love Gainesville.

The money helps, but really, if you make $1 million a year, even if you have a family of 10, do you actually need more income? Of course, the answer is NO, that is more than enough to cover all your needs and is more than adequate to put all 10 of your children through the most expensive schools in the world, even if they don't get scholarships. Heck, the FAFSA limits for need-based grants are astoundingly high today, given the incredible cost of college, but still, even if you attend Harvard or Stanford, you don't qualify if your family's income is more than $110,000 per year. So, $1 million is a bit more than that. I have had a pretty good salary through my professional career, with a Ph.D., but even my wife's and my combined income (also a Ph.D.) was somewhat below that $110,000. With $1 million, you are NINE TIMES above that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Wait a minute.. Florida was a great powerhouse before BD got here. He was just able to maintain this. You guys are giving him to much credit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Florida has a pretty good football program for a basketball school.
  9. kellgator

kellgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    IMHO there is no way Billy leaves for any other college job. Just not gonna happen. He could have been the UK coach several times, but elected not to leave. If a coach isn't going to leave for the UK job then he isn't going to leave for any college job.

I think Billy has positioned himself nicely to take over USA Basketball when coach K decides he's had enough. That scares me. It could either whet his appetite for coaching NBA talent and prove to NBA execs that Billy has what it takes to manage NBA egos, or it could solidify his love for developing younger players.

As for naming something for Billy, hopefully something gets done when the O' Dome renovation is completed. It's overdue if you ask me.
  10. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    If he can lead us to the promised land again I think the court should be named for him at the celebration...and I think the timing is just about right for this regardless of winning it all this year or not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Donovan addressed this last year or the year before. He stated that he's at UF to build something special. From the timing, it's obvious that going to a couple of elite eight's in a row isn't special. I'd expect that he's trying to build a long-term, modern era "blue blood". I'd assume his goals would be similar to establishing what is at Duke. In the decade before Krzyzewski, Duke won 58% of its games vs 56% for UF in the decade before Donovan & both schools had similar success in the NCAA tournament.
  12. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    I believe the SEC has won three out of the last eight NCs. Prior to the last couple of years, I think the SEC averaged around six tournament teams per year. We're down, but not weak.
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,754
    I agree with this. I think he sees that he can do what Coach K and Boeheim have done with their programs. That's a special thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    When Foley leaves/retires. . . Billy will scratch that NBA itch.
    Book it.
  15. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    He was offered and accepted a NBA contract. BD changed his mind because UF is the best basketball school in the nation. And the best place to coach basketball. Developing kids to be men, is much more rewarding than

Billy ball is great! He changed my view on sports and basketball if far far far and beyond my favorite sport thanks to him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Well I don't think we're exactly the best basketball place. Best all around athletic school oh yea, but we aren't exactly Kansas either basketball wise. It's an SEC school based in football that just happens to have elite basketball. Look at the football forum. Our football team was 4-8, coach is on the hot seat, recruiting class just lost two insanely good offensive recruits. Meanwhile our basketball team is top 3 in the nation, bringing in a huge name recruit, and on a massive win streak. Note which forum gets more post still. So we aren't the best basketball school in the nation, but he has built us into an elite program DESPITE that, and with the renovations to the Odome, and the continued growing support it will get there. That's why he is so great though. No coach has built such success at a football school like Donovan on a consistent basis. It's absolutely remarkable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    A lot of sports discussions other than UF football & a lot of people posting one thing or another will bleed over into football discussions. Plus, of those who are posting about UF football, a quarter are probably rival fans posing as Gators, lol.
  18. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    BD has enough cred to be HBBC and AD after Foley retires, gradually grooming a HBBC replacement. Quality assistants already in place, which is the key.
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    This may not have been mentioned, but on top of positive reasons for staying here, BD is a model and molder of kids. I think he see's the need for mentoring kids and has done an amazing job. NBA is different, hard to mentor guys making tons of money, but college kids, yeah, BD excels imo.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. aerogator70

aerogator70 Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    This is very true, however, there is a whole new set of things to worry about when you are a NBA coach including players DEMANDING that coaches be replaced when things are not going as they expect it to be going. Although I am sure that at some point or another that has happened at the college level, I can't recall one. Also, it just doesn't seem that as many college basketball coaches make the jump to the pros as happens in college football to the NFL. For the life of me, I can't understand why someone making $3.5M a year and is a legend at the University would want to make the jump to the pros.
    • Agree Agree x 3