How important is Ghz in AIO computers?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    I'm still pondering which all-in-one computer to buy to replace my old Dell with its tower. I'm used to having 3.2 Ghz as on my present computer and my previous one. Most of the AIO computers seem to have less than 2 Ghz. The HP Pavilion 20" has 1.4 Ghz, and HP Pavilion 23" has 1.7 Ghz. The Lenovo C440 goes up to 2.9 Ghz, though the computer itself is cheaper than the aforementioned Pavilions.

If I get an AIO computer with less than 2 Ghz, as opposed to my present 3.2 Ghz, will I see any appreciable difference in performance? (All I do is word processing, email, and web browsing.)
  2. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    I'd have to see the specs of the computers, but the difference in the GHz may be related to the lower GHz processors being quad-core vs the faster ones being dual-core, or dual-core vs single core. Most buyers don't need to be concerned with processor speeds anymore. If you are really big into multitasking on the computer then you'll want more cores. If you only do one or two things at a time on the computer you may opt for more GHz.
  3. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    I looked at 3 AIO computers today at Staples.

The HP Pavilion 20” is described on its Staples page as having an AMD E1-1200 Accelerated 1.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor.

The HP Pavilion 23” is described as having an AMD E2-1800 Accelerated 1.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor.

I don’t know what any of that means in terms of cores.

The Lenovo C440 is described as having an Intel® Pentium® Dual Core G2020 Cache Processor. It’s listed as having 2.9 Ghz.
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    All three are dual core CPUs. It appears the AMDs CPUs are targeted for small laptops/netbooks meaning they have less power. I personally like Lenovo computers and Intel chipsets but beyond that I know nothing about those three computers.

**Glancing briefly at the Staples website the Lenovo's appear to get a little higher rating than the HPs too. Guess I'm not alone. Memory between the HPs and Lenovos is the same but you get double the hard drive space with the Lenovos. I'm sure both brands would be fine. I'd suggest first narrowing down the size of screen you want as both brands have a 23" for the same price and the 20/21.5" within 20 dollars in price.
  5. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    Did some further reading. Lenovo does get good reviews, but is said to be designed for entertainment, which may account for the higher Ghz. The two Pavilions get mixed user reviews at Amazon.com, with some saying they're too slow.

I think I'm going with the Dell Inspiron 20" at Staples. I guess I'm going to have a challenge with Windows 8, but I have no choice, with my good old Windows XP destined for the graveyard.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    GHz isn't a meaningless metric anymore, but it's pretty close.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    The first thing you may want to do when you power it up and it goes to the default screen is to press the Windows key, at the bottom of the keypad, plus the letter D. That will take you to the desktop and more familiar territory. The next one you can try is the Windows key plus Q and Windows key plus X. There are several others too. Do some Googling and it won't take long to get a feel for it. I still don't particularly like 8 but I've learned to deal with it. Evidently I'm not by myself from what I have read.

Here's a link to some help with using 8

So I Have Windows 8, Now What?
  8. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    Thanks for the link and suggestions.

The Dell Inspiron at Staples has a touch screen, which I assume is preferable with Windows 8. I've never used one before.
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    I haven't ever used on either. Don't think I really want one with my experience on laptops. I don't have the steadiest hand in the world and like the feel of a regular keyboard underneath my fingertips.
  10. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Having a touch screen does make Windows 8 much more natural to use. The touching is not all that precise in that you are tapping rather large tiles and doing the various multi-touch operations like swiping, expanding and squeezing. The Inspiron still supports a regular, more precision, pointing device so the victim has a choice of how to interact with the system.
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,638
    Ghz are only important if there is a large difference. For example, if you have a CPU that pumps out 3.0 ghz as opposed to 3.2, you won't find a big difference so you want to look at other factors to make your decision.

If you're looking at something that is a bigger margin such as 2.5 to 3.5, then you will notice the difference and it would be wise to choose the one that pumps out 3.5.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    This is not necessarily true, either. That difference may well be mitigated by threading capabilities, multi-core, cache sizes and even processor type.
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,638
    Well thats true, I probably over generalized a bit.
  14. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    Well, I went to Staples and tried out Internet Explorer on the Dell Inspiron. What a load of crap. I found a website (I don't remember how) and there is no tool bar for favorites, to print, to close tab, to go home, or do anything else. Sporadically a bar would appear at the bottom of the screen that at least allows you to go forward and backward. I don't know what made it appear.

Fiddling around with the cursor at the bottom right would make four or fives icons appear, one allowing you to go back to start, another for search, so the only way to go to the next website, Swamp Gas for example, is to type it in and search for it. I can see that Windows 8 is going to a breeze and so much fun.

I came back home (no one in the store offered to help anyway) and decided to see what I can find out about this mess before I buy a computer. I guess the link that was provided above on how to use Windows 8 is the place to start. Maybe by Christmas I will have an idea how to use it and will have Santa bring me a computer.
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well step one is don't use Internet Explorer
  16. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,245
    I would download Firefox when I got the computer, but it might take a few weeks to learn how to do it.
  17. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Chrome would be a better choice, probably, but the choice is yours.

There are two ‘versions’ of Internet Destroyer on Windows 8. There is the ‘Start Screen’ and the ‘Desktop’ version of IE. It’s yet another way to annoy people. It sounds like you were a victim of the ‘Start Screen’ version. This one has no ‘chrome’ and I don’t know how to perform anything in it other than the most basic browsing.

An easy way to get to the less annoying, ‘Desktop,’ version is type Internet while on the Start Screen. Internet Explorer should appear at the top of the screen. Click on it and you will have a version of Internet Destroyer that is much closer to what you would expect. From there you can download FiredFox or Chrome, easily.
  18. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +135
    By the way, I find myself pressing the Windows key on my keyboard a lot in Windows 8. This switches between the Start Screen and Desktop. I tend to spend almost all my time on the Desktop operating much like I was on a previous version of Windows. I click on the Windows key to go to the Start Screen where I usually type the name of what I want to do or find and it almost always shows it to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    One of the more stupid things they did with 8 is to eliminate the Start button from the Desktop view. It's like they intentionally tried to screw the whole OS up just to see how people would react.

From what I have read of the sales (maybe they are better now) it looks like they got their answer.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Windows 8 sales have outpaced Windows 7 sales in the same time frame.

And they did from the first day.