How Dwight Howard Got Smart

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    White flour is essentially the same as sugar, although actually, sugar is a somewhat worse. However, very few people eat just sugar, but it and high fructose corn syrup (just as negative) are found in almost all processed foods that Americans eat. A very interesting study conducted years ago tested rats by feeding some only white sugar, and feeding a control group nothing except water. The rats who were fed sugar died before the rats who were starved to death. Studies such as this show why I am an anti-vivisectionist - to treat living things like objects, for example in the research that dropped cats from successively higher windows on sky scrapers, where it turned out that above about 30 floors, they relaxed completely rather than trying to catch themselves, and thus had fewer broken bones, but actually doing this to our fellow species is, from my perspective, both unethical and immoral. It is truly amazing the amount of cruelty that is justified in the name of "scientific research."
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Were the rats that were given sugar given any water? If not, of course they died first...they died from dehydration.
  3. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    themistocles, I'm always hesitant to read these types of pieces. I so tire of the food police and folks going on and on about the damn food choices we make, don't make, should make, etc.

But I like that sensible first post you made in response to outbackjack.

Thank you.
  4. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Yes, water and sugar versus water. A very simple but elegant study design.

Most modern people aren't aware, but sugar used to be both rare and expensive. It was when 3 products came to Europe (two from the Americas) in the 1500s each of which was so exceedingly bitter that the Portuguese first began Sugar Plantations off the coast of Africa to provide a very valuable commodity to Europeans who found coffee, tea and chocolate easier to consume when laced with sugar. Of course this later developed into the notorious slave trade.

Now, raw cane sugar, or sugar with molasses (brown sugar) do have some nutrients, unlike raw white sugar, which has essentially none and serves only the purpose of catering to our fruit oriented taste buds which dominate the tongue.
  5. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Pretentious is Pretentious