How Dwight Howard Got Smart

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    If you haven't seen this, it is worth reading.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer...arned-in-la-help-dwight-howards-career-health

Essentially the same message is in the book I wrote six years ago at:
    http://www.freewebs.com/drteds

This, by the way, works quite well by keeping a 60-year 65 year old diabetic quite healthy and athletic.

Obviously, you are not what you eat, but rather, what you absorb and there are, in fact, several factors relating to that which I note in my writing. Really need to do a revision, because I have learned a lot since that time, but it holds up (after all, it is based on 43 years of research and experimentation).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Wow - no comments yet.

Doesn't anyone realize that one's diet influences monstrously all of the following - neurological function, strength, quickness, sickness and healing in general? Almost any time you get sick and stay sick for more than a day, that results from an internal weakness that relates strongly to diet.

I recognize that the U.S. part of America has been fed enough propaganda by the meat and dairy industry (they defined the 4 food groups and dominate in schools) and the fast food industry to create adequate ignorance in the populace that most are incapable of distinguishing what will hurt you (e.g. soft drinks, processed foods) from what will help you (e.g. raw organic fruits and vegetables and fermented foods), but really, I thought this group was quite a bit above average.
  3. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    In spite of his cosmetic glasses, I don't think there is any diet that will make Dwight Howard smart. Healthier maybe, but not smart.
  4. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Hmmmm - depends on one's definition of smart. For me, smart behavior indicates smartness, even if one is forced to adopt the behavior. The question becomes, does one internalize the smart behavior long tern? Now, if Howard makes that wise choice, then his behavior is smart.

The thing about everything is simply that it is almost impossible to really measure much of anything in a complex situation, like say a human's life. Thus, all we can use is a set of observed behaviors as an indicator.
  5. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    didn't read the article. all you need to know about dwight is what you see on the court. this guy has been a cancer to every team since the magic finals run. with his size and athleticism its a shame he has no post moves and has shown nothing but decline the last 3 years. he seems like an awful teammate. i am watching houston vs portland now and he's not even the best big man in the game. i can't stand this guy, and no i am not a former orlando fan that is bitter, nor a laker. just an honest observation
  6. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +459

Read the article. This was supposed to be a lesson for the average American, who receives more false propaganda from the food industry even than they do from the government, the so-called health care industry, the pharmaceutical industry, etc., etc.. Americans are about the most misinformed population on Earth, and food is vital to health, lifespan and function. What is really, really sad is that the massive misinformation propaganda blitz permeates public education, from pre-K through college. If you are fortunate, you begin to see some actual things in graduate school, although still, not a lot.
  7. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I don't think it's propaganda that's the problem. I think most people know what is good and bad for them, especially now-a-days. I think it's about what tastes good and what's easiest. Both parents in many families are having to work full time jobs. They get home at 6, tired and hungry after a long day at the office and it's much easier to eat some pre-made garbage or grabbing takeout/fast food then to spend time chopping vegetables and mixing ingredients. And you can't discount the taste/craving factor. Nobody has ever craved a vegetable. The things that are bad for you taste delicious and it is extremely hard for the majority of people to cut out or even limit the foods that are bad for them. I've never been a smoker or a drug user, but I imagine that for many people cutting out foods that are bad for you is just as difficult as stopping smoking or drug use. Especially when you combine the taste with it usually being a cheaper option to eat poorly and it being legal (unlike drug use).
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,282
    Totally agree about the food aspect. My wife and I have totally revamped how we (and our 3 little ones) eat.
    Much more, raw, organic natural nutrition sources these days for us. Our children will not crav the garbage, because they wont be introduced to it in the first place.

...by the way DH is a quitter...who quit on his team, his city and his fans. (Did I mention, I'm a disgruntled Magic fan.;))
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    And we compare our health care to the health care of other countries, when the diet of the average populace is simply atrocious.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    They put corn syrup in baby formula and sugars that aren't even listed on the content label.

White bread is made from the sugar only from the grain after the bran/fiber and germ/vitamins are removed. Why does it taste so good, it is only sugar.

I grow dozens of organic fruits in my yard and not only is it better for the family, I don't waste money on chemicals I don't need and consume later.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,432
    Thanks for sharing….diabetes runs in my family. Sure wish my dad had that information. Hard part is following through.
  12. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Howard is gelling well with his Rockets teammates. (Parsons was instrumental in getting him to Houston.) And the Lakers are below .500.
  13. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    sorry, good article, makes sense. i just saw dwight, in a thread with his name on the title; in a basketball messageboard literally at the time i was watching his game and thinking about how quickly he has declined.
  14. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I was going to read it, but it's hard to click the mouse while eating this incredible Burrito from Moe's. I may wash it down with some mountain dew and top it off with a lard of fat :). Young, and indestructible baby!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    It's not a controversial opinion. Good food=better body function and performance. Not much to discuss. Not a fan of the raw food diet though-I've read the only thing lost in cooking vegetables is Vitamin C degradation, which is no big deal since Vitamin C can be pretty easily in fruits.
  16. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    personally i am a fan of taco bell
    • Like Like x 1
  17. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +459

Actually, any time you heat any food, a large number of delicate enzymes and other micronutrients are damaged or destroyed. Further, the foods you can eat raw average roughly 3 to 4 times the nutrient content of the foods you have to cook. There really are only a few foods that are better eaten cooked than raw, and when you cook, the less time you cook foods at high heat, the less damage is done. I generally steam things for about 10 minutes, or a short saute in a wok is good. Among fruits and vegetables, only the following are more nutritious cooked than eaten raw: carrots and all cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower primarily, plus a few other like, I think, radishes). By the way, a diet containing 3 servings of cruciferous vegetables per week reduces your risk of Cancer by about 50%.

Almost all grains (wheat, millet, barley, rice, teft, quinua, etc.) must be cooked. However, today, this is done differently than it was historically, Soaking any grain in water for roughly 12 hours before cooking or grinding for baking, eliminates phytates, which reduce one's absorption of minerals, and actually, after soaking that long, you can actually eat the grains raw, perhaps adding honey and cinnamon or some fruit to cater to our fruit oriented tastes.

Growing you own is far better, because the food is fresh. Fermented foods are almost always better for you than non-fermented foods, which include cheese, buttermilk, yoghurt, miso, tempeh, natto, saurkraut, kefir (which is awesome), kimchi, sour pickles, labneh, amazake, sourdough bread, and vinegar. All and any of those are worth regularly adding to your diet.

And yes, it is propaganda, and no, most people really don't know what they should eat, because nutritional science follows the same false pathways of all other health-oriented sciences (I term them pseudo-sciences). They learn some things, but almost every article you read absurdly limits it's findings by attempting to: (1) find something different, and (2) limiting it's scope to a single factor because no statistics or mathematics can deal with complex interactions of effects - even multilevel modeling is quite limited in that way.

The meat and dairy industry provides roughly 95% of all education information regarding diet, and it was they, about 80 years ago, who changed the number of food groups from 10 to 4, one of which is meat and one of which is dairy. The so-called health care industry, and I use the term extremely loosely, pays little attention to diet, although individual physicians and nurses frequently do for their family's benefit. At most medical schools, only one course on nutrition is required.

By the way, members of the third kingdom, mushrooms and other fungi, are also quite a beneficial thing to consume, and, I'll guarantee you that they won't contribute to making you fat. Nor will most of the other most beneficial foods.

Perhaps the most damaging single thing in a typical American's diet, is soft drinks. If you replace soft drinks with water, you will likely increase your lifespan by perhaps 3 to 5 healthier years, merely by doing that (if you drink more than 12 oz per day today).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,048
    The Mic....

If I was to start to change my diet....I would be it in little bits.

We are the prototypical family always on the go, both kids in competitive sports where we are always at practice/tournaments, etc.

Is it easier to add something good/healthy, or cut soething out bad?

If you could, in order, list the most improtant 2 or 3 thigns to cut out, I'd love to start there.

And if you would, maybe include some things that they might be hiddin in....(sugar in bread, etc.).

This was a very motivating article...I'd like to make a small change.

Thanks for posting.
  19. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Yeah, I used to do that too, but my wife and I were very careful about what we ate and drank and what we told the kids. Never kept them from choosing anything but always informed them of the costs of making poor choices (you can't run as fast, react as well, etc.).

The single best thing to quit is soft drinks. They have all sorts of negative effects, in addition to the fact that they are a diuretic, thus by drinking say 12 oz of coke/sprite/etc., you are perhaps adding 2 oz of fluid to a water hungry body. Better to drink something like Gatoraide, or bottled water if the kids are exercising a lot or are thirsty. It is also better to drink before exercising. I start every day with two 8oz glasses of water, very first thing, to make sure I have started well (coffee is also a diuretic).

Second is white flour. If you buy wheat bread, always buy only 100% whole wheat, because they pull much of the fiber plus the germ, which are the major nutrient factors. Most fast food restaurants carry almost exclusively white flour and even so-called wheat bread due to the FDA's subservience to the Food Industry is only primarily whole wheat if it is 100%.

Third, don't buy the protein sales pitch. In fact, an average human needs only 8-10% of total calories to be from protein. The effects of a high protein diet, however, are long-term. You won't notice them immediately, however, in the US today, three times as many elderly (over 60) men have osteoporosis as prostrate problems. This is because a high protein diet acidifies the blood, which must be alkaline, not acid - normal for humans is 7.4 where 7.0 is neutral and anything else is acidic. When the blood is acidic, the body has two options, leech calcium from the bones or dump ammonia into the kidneys (even worst - long term).

Make sure to eat fruits and vegetables regularly. Anything is good, but, for example, I carry around dried dates (which are delicious) and snack on them when I feel hungry (low blood sugar as a diabetic). They are highly nutritious and if you have a middle easter grocery anywhere near you, you can pick them up for very little money.

Doing any one of those things will help. Two is better, three is better and all is better yet.

By the way, bean burritos are more nutritious than white bun hamburgers if for no other reason than the fiber.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  20. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,048
    Thank you.

Very interesting. Cokes are surely an issue.

Interesting that you put white flour ahead of sugar.