Hoops on Fri!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Brewski, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    If you are talking about Anthony Roberson who played for us in the mid-2000s, I'm pretty sure Billy and his teammates called him Peep.
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    LOL
  3. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    haha alright.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Anthony Roberson. From Detroit. Ex-Gator. His real name was Pete Chicago.

Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.

I saw Kid Minneapolis play once. In Cincinnati.

No you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.

He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.

Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.

North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.
  5. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Nordberg!
  6. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    Hahaha. Every year or so, people can be baited into having this identical debate on here. Almost word for word. I wish I could compile all the threads over the years, it would be hilariously repetitive.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    But Insti, isn't it true that when he was in a shooting slump during the under 19 Championship play, that he contributed with rebounding, passing and defense?

I mean, he's no Wilbekin, after all, who is, but I think he will be more than merely competent.
  8. elvislisa

elvislisa New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I am excited to see some of the new guys this year and see how some of the younger guys have developed. It may be awhile before we see our true team out there. I think we honestly have the ability to run 2 pretty good starting 5's out there this year if everyone gets healthy/unsuspended.

It's always interesting to see how the "transfers" pan out because everyone always thinks they are better than they probably are. Maybe it's the football fan in me that is sick of hearing "how good a player is in practice" but then can't seem to have any of it translate to the field (or in this case, court). Hopefully what we're hearing is true (especially with DFS)!

Is DFS going to be our go-to guy for scoring? Does Carter play a more important role at the 2? Doe we play a lot of Harris/Young sets? Do we have Hill/Wilbekin on the floor at the same time? Will Frazier come off the bench if Carter plays well? I like our depth when healthy, but it may be a month before we see what our team really looks like.

AND...BTW...according the Gatorzone website on Anothony Roberson...his nickname was "Peep." I too find this funny that it's constantly being argued. Do a quick google search for Peep Roberson and you'll see a ton of articles. Do a search for "Pete" Roberson and you'll get jack squat!

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php?year=2002&bio=roberson.html
  9. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Maybe the issue is more he is no Boyton defensively? Maybe that is the comparison one implicitly makes, how is he defensively compared to the starter at his position? So possibly my impression is wrong.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Good point Insti.

In a direct comparions with Boynton, I think the following is likely true for a direct comparison with Frazier
    Boynton - was a better defensive player
    Frazier - except for Boynton's Junior year, is a better shooter
    Boynton - was probably a better passer and ball handler
    Frazier - is surely a stronger rebounder, although Boynton was pretty good
    Boynton - had greater maturity due to being a senior

So, I think that Boynton was probably a somewhat greater contributor to the team than Frazier will be this year, but there may not be much difference, and having Wilbekin and Carter playing behind Frazier, rather than merely Rosario behind Boynton, should, I think, make the position considerably stronger than last year, and the same should be true for PG and SF and Center, although not for Power Forward. I mean Murphy wasn't the best rebounder or defensive player in the universe, but those 3-point shots really stretched out the defense.

We won't learn much about this season until perhaps the Wisconsin game, but it is good to get started, and this opponent is always well coached.
  11. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,258
    I for one will be interested to see Kurtz getting extended minutes. Always felt he was one of our most capable backups in mopup duty last season and was interested to see how he'd do in a bigger role. I realize mopup duty is different from playing from the tip-off (particularly if one is up a healthy amount), but Kurtz always had a knack for being in the right place and doing the little things right.

With several of our players out right now, he'll get the chance to show he belongs and I for one am looking forward to it.