Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    We were down 17-9 with the Leghumpers driving down the field for a score that was really gonna hurt us....then Lito happened. Then Jesse came in, drove us to the TD and got the 2pt conversion and we walked into halftime tied and with all the momentum. From there Jesse led us to the lead before getting injured and Rex coming back in to finish up. Jesse saved us plain and simple. Then the next week we were down 21-3 to the Cocks when Rex was pulled once again and Lito made an incredible PR TD and Jesse led us back to victory once again.

Its obvious you love Rex to the point that you are disregarding the facts here. Do you remember what happened when Jesse was gone and we had nobody to bail out Rex once he started having a bad day? Let's take a stroll down memory lane. We lose to a downright lousy Auburn team in 2001 that we had utterly no business losing to. Then in 2002 we lose to an Ole Miss team we had utterly no business losing to. Then we got blown off the field by an LSU team we might have been able to beat with good QB play. No, its not the case that Rex was always bad. Far from it. Sometimes...hell most of the time he was spectacular. But when bad Rex showed up he just could not stop digging the hole ever deeper. He'd press harder and harder and harder and make more and more and more mistakes. Jesse didn't have anywhere near the talent but he was steady and on days when Bad Rex showed up, that is exactly what we needed. We would not have beaten UGA or South Carolina in 2000 without him and he did a good job in leading us to a win over a Tennessee team that I have no doubt had more talent than we did. No Jesse = no SEC title that year. If you could take your blinders off and look at the situation honestly, you should be able to see that.
  2. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Bingo. He had periods of up to a month in the NFL where he was red hot and was one of the best QB's in the league during those stretches. But....his propensity to just melt the hell down when things started badly for him also continued. Some here tried to pretend that it was all somehow Zook's fault and that he had "ruined" Rex. Baloney. Grossman had those tendencies throughout his career. There was never one single year when he didn't have at least a game or two like that.....and yes he was usually very good and had plenty of days where he was simply spectacular. But the excuse-making or blaming others by some on those days when he was bad was and is pathetic.
  3. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    2. false chacteriZation. Being able to acknowledge the truth does not mean anybody is "playing one player against another." Its called objectivity - something you obviously lack on this subject.
    3. Simply wrong or you just haven't read these boards.
    4. OK if you say Palmer stepped in when we were down by 1 fine....but Grossman had been having a horrible day and put us in tough spots with multiple turnovers. Things were not looking good at all until Palmer came in and turned things around...which is exactly what happened vs the Cocks later as well.
    5. not surprised you take any honest critique of the guy you clearly idoliZe personally and feel the need to lash out because others GASP! see things differently than how you see them.
  4. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    When you call anybody whose opinion differs from yours a "hater"...when you classify anybody's memory of a game played 13 years ago (ie down 1 pt or down 8 pts) a "flat out lie" it tends not to lead to civil discussion.
  5. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    I remember people suggesting WR. I know people wanted Cam to move to TE.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +941
    In the age of the internet one can do their own fact checks. When you have both shown such an obvious penchant for being ... "objective" I would assume you could at least get your facts straight.

To make it easy for you, see link below. Florida trailed 10-9 and Grossman was benched after his third turnover. Palmer comes in and fumbles causing us to go down 17-9. Can't put that on Grossman. Palmer leads us to a four point lead before getting injured and Grossman iced the game with less than five to go. We weren't facing certain defeat when Grossman was benched, Palmer contributed to the defict, and we didn't have the game locked up by any stretch of the imagination when Palmer was injured.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100302/100302382.htm

Now I'm out. And please, have fun with "victory" posts after my exit. They're so amusing.
  7. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Jets fans were told all summer that Sanchez gave them the best chance to win games. They miss him like a root canal... Coaches are are human, somtimes they see what they want to see.
  8. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I went from memory. Mea Culpa for forgetting that Palmer fumbled leading to a UGA TD rather than that particular turnover being on Grossman. I do remember the general tone of the game which was that Rex was screwing up regularly and it looked like our Defense was getting tired from being put on the field so often due to those turnovers.......the hung dog/can't-get-out-of-the-hole look Rex tended to get once things started down a bad path for him was clearly evident that day and judging from how it went for him the rest of his career when things started out badly for him and he started pressing, I do not think the outcomes of either of those games would have been good for UF had Rex not been pulled in favor of Jesse.

What you can't seem to figure out - judging from your last comment is that when you choose to go down the road of being snarky and nasty you can only ever expect the same in return. If you don't like it, perhaps you should examine your own behavior.
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +941
    You may very well be right as I'm not sure if Rex ever pulled himself out of a funk mid game or not. Jesse was definitely a steadying influence. And the USCe game was a flukey game where USC scored 14 of their 21 points off blocked punts, all in the first quarter. I actually had seats about 15 rows up in the south end zone and saw all three of USCe's TDs in front of me and four out of Florida's five TDs. Couldn't have asked for better seats that game.
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    Coach M's first year he relied on Weis. Obviously, Weis was a very large mistake. Weis promoted Brissett, and Weis also had Driskel, with Brantley to be the starter. Murphy, in retrospect, was an afterthought. When Pease came in, Pease took the safe route, which was the one we all expected him to take, have Brissett and Driskel battle it out.

The rest is history. Boom probably learned a lesson through all this.

The good news is that Coach is developing into a (IMO) top notch coaching talent, gaining HC experience to go along with his technical abilities.
  11. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    In actual game situations the player that can think on his feet and execute with poise will usually be more productive but all too often, physical talent gets the first opportunity. Driskel has great physical talent and has shown flashes of greatness but is still slow to read, still staring down receivers and still making mental mistakes that he should be outgrowing by now. His meltdown last year vs Georgia was eerily similar to the Miami game this year. Murphy may yet have a bad game. He got pick sixed against Arky and has a habit of staring down his first receiver too but I think we are all pleasantly surprised that he has executed as well as he has given his lack of actual PT.
  12. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    They said that but I don't believe they actually meant it. They were supposed to split time evenly in game one but Driskel got all but 3 snaps. I'm not arguing the decision but there is something to be said for evaluating players in actual game situations.
  13. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Makes you wonder about our other QBs. It would be nice to see what they could do.
  14. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Cam was going to be expelled otherwise. Brissett didn't get much of a chance in game situations but from what I saw, Driskeol was better.
  15. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Our staff seems to have a better eye for defensive players. if only...
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    I think this is a key point, Weis set the pecking order back in 2011, and once pecking orders get established in organizations they can be tough to overturn.

Also, Driskel and Brissett both looked like pro-style QBs, big, tall, stronger arms than Tyler. given they they were freshmen their poor decision-making and instincts were overlooked a little bit.

And its simply not as obvious as all of us want to make it seem in hindsight.

Driskel was 13-3 as a starter and when he was 100% healthy was a deadly runner.

He had one bad game v UGA, then our last game last year was also a bad one, so all of the evidence of his limitations came really recently...
  17. cwesleyf

cwesleyf New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    No way to reasonably obfuscate. The coaching staff nearly whiffed on Tyler Murphy. Hindsight clearly shows Tyler Murphy is a better qb than both Jeff D and Jacoby B. The ability of our coaches to evaluate talent comes into question on this one.
  18. drramer

drramer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    For example and a good one, Tom Brady only came in after Bledsoe was injured. I think that worked out pretty well.
  19. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    Physically Jeff is the superior specimen all around. Taller, stronger arm, faster. If he could put it together he's got the same tools as say luck. Which means ya gotta see what you've got. The problem with Jeff is upstairs somewhere.

The unknown commodity was Murphy's poise, presence, moxy, wtfever. I think if the coaches knew how reliable Murphy would be once the bullets were flying our qb situation last year would have been different too.

Ah well what ifs.. I feel good about lsu.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    what if Jacoby wins the Heisman next year?