Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Hindsight makes me a genius, too ...
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,479
    No way to really know, but I think if Grossman plays the entire Missy St game we probably don't get run out of the stadium, Palmer and the crappy Brock were especially abysmal in that game.
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,595
    I thought Driskel was recruited by Meyer, but he left in the process.
  4. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    No way...not unless Rex can block for himself and also be a dominant Defensive Tackle to stop their ground game since they just flat out dominated both lines of scrimmage. It ain't like our QBs lost that game for us.....
  5. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    But is the argument so much hindsight or why did it take a season ending injury to play him until now??? I find it hard to believe in the course of just this preseason he became this good. Also why isn't a plausible explanation that the coaches just showed favoritism towards JD regardless of on the field performance. Matt Elam basically tweeted about this last year and Gator Fans called him an instigator......
  6. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,612
    Two years ago when several suggested he move to TE i mentioned Murphy could be the best QB on the roster if given the chance. I never saw him being given a real chance but where are those "coaches" suggesting the TE move now? Could he have played the position? YES and would have probably been the best on the roster at that position as well. The kid is an athlete and looking very Russell Wilson like.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    lol who suggested that Murphy move to tight end even if he couldn't pass at all that makes absolutely no sense.
  8. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I thought he was being considered for a corner. He has very big corner size and has the necessary speed.
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Yes, Rex had a tough first half with three interceptions including one that was caused by a deflection but we were only down one point due to his play. It's obvious you don't like Rex with your slanting and our disregard of facts. Like skipping over the fact that the reason we were down 17-9 instead of 10-9 was because of Palmer fumbling a snap. You also categorize our lead as a "nice safe lead" which is just a flat out lie. We were only up 27-23 and Grossman iced the game with his gorgeous pass down the sideline with less than five minutes left in the game.

I know to take anything you say with more than a grain of salt from now on.
  10. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Seems to me people are taking his current performance and projecting it backward in order to even consider asking the questions being asked .. hence my hindsight comment.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    WE almost LOST the Georgia game because of Rex. Jess bailed him out, and did it again against USCe. Hungary is right. Jesse had every bit as much right to that SEC ring as Rex did, if not more so. We aren't talking about a Leak/Tebow situation. Rex didn't "beat out" Jesse. He played when Jesse got hurt against Miss State, and Spurrier elected to stay with the hot hand. Yet Jesse was always there in relief and did his job.

Hungary has no anti-Rex agenda. Rex had "Good Rex" and "Bad Rex" days throughout this career. The only difference was that the fans at Florida never blamed Rex for them; it was always Hoke's, or Zook's or Zaun's fault (or even God, with that wind against Auburn). Gator fans were so dazzled by Rex's great games (and when he was on, he was astonishingly great), they forgot, or at least minimized Rex's bad games, and make no mistake, he damned near lost 3-4 games single-handedly.

The fans in Chicago and Washington were not so forgiving...
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,441
    For the most part, this has to be true because we haven't seen these guys in practice like the coaches do.

But Murph was clearly the best QB we had on the field in the 2011 Spring game. None of Brantley, Brissett or Driskel were close in terms of pocket awareness, mobility and decision making.... same stuff we're seeing today.

So there is one past performance to consider.

Other than that, we don't know what we don't know. And I don't see a lot of positive to be gained by speculating about it. I'm sure the staff is considering if/how they missed on Murph and what they could do differently in the future.

Nobody's perfect, but as long as they keep working to get better, which is apparent this staff does, they'll be fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This is where I have landed, as well.
  14. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    1. I never said Palmer doesn't deserve the SEC too. Not sure why you're making that strawman argument.
    2. I am not playing one player against the other like you seem to do. I liked both of them.
    3. Yes, Rex had his moments and I disagree that fans don't acknowledge they were his fault.
    4. Your memory of the game Georgia game is faulty. Yes, Rex blew up in the first half but when Palmer stepped in we were down a single point. It is flat out wrong to say we almost lost the game because of Rex. I do think it was a good thing that Jesse came in so that Rex could settle down though.
    5. Not surprised the other Rex hater stepped in here.

Have fun.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Let me get this straight. If we are critical about a Gator player or coach, we are a "Hater?" C'mon, I thought middle school was far behind you. That's what teenagers say...

Glory is often a zero sum game, and Rex is among those who get more glory than he deserves, IMO. At his best, he was astonishing, as I said, but he also has to take responsibility for the bad games. As for Florida fans not blaming here, you weren't here in 2000-2, obviously. People were actually blaming HOKE for the Auburn loss (when they weren't blaming God), and people here actually DEFENDED him when he called FnG plays behind Zaunbrecher's back in a case of clear insubordination (or as SOs said about his players at USCe, "I guess some here just want to do their own thing around here.").

I'll give him his due, but he also gets the losses against Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU, just as Leak gets the horns for Ole Miss and Miss State, helping get his coach fired. And there is no one who admires Chris Leak more than I do.
  16. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    No, when you've been around here long enough you see patterns in how people post and their MOs. The name Rex Grossman can't even be alluded to around here without the same few culprits trying to twist the thread into the faults of Rex Grossman.

And why does everything around here have to devolve to insults?

Like I said, have fun.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Good question. It must have been ME who called YOU a "Rex hater." Not insulting? You drew first blood. Had you kept #5 off, I wouldn't have responded as I did.
  18. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    No. That is not a name-calling for goodness sake.
  19. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    /unsubscribe
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,048
    Ahh yes. The dreaded "filter." :laugh: It is the easy way out...