Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. devildog820

devildog820 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Driskel was pretty great in practice. He wasn't throwing pick6s and he wasn't messing up like he was in game. Murphy was not nearly the athlete Driskel was, plain and simple. Just like Danny Wuerffel and Terry Dean. But Murphy's football IQ is just so much higher that it makes him the better QB.
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Absolutely get the second team guys reps and game time experience if at all possible. It helps build depth and continuity.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Well we were in that position last year. As this team gets better through recruiting and building depth we wont be for year to come.
  4. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    I think it is a very similar situation. Just consider who the Offensive Coordinator in Boston was at the time. That is the same person who overlooked Murphy and is one of the best OCs in the history of the game of football.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    He was "deemed incapable of playing?" You have a limited number of snaps available at the quarterback position, as opposed to other positions where you can play more one player at a time or can rotate more liberally. If Murphy were "deemed incapable of playing," we would have moved him to receiver and Morningwegh and Staver would be the backups.

Moreover, the annals of football are littered with quarterbacks who were behind less talent or effective players. And I would like just a few examples of coaches (not named Spurrier) who ditched a winning quarterback in favor of a backup.

I find it again terribly ironic that we neglect to ask whether the staff may actually be behind Murphy's success and instead pit them against him. Surely, they have no part in player development, game plan implementation, play calling, etc.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    They also made it clear going into and out of spring practice and fall pall practice that he was the unquestioned back up.
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    No Jesse Palmer in 2000 = no SEC championship. He led us to victory over Tennessee. He bailed out Rex when Rex was melting down against UGA. He bailed out Rex when Rex was melting down against South Carolina.

I thought before the 1994 season that Danny Wuerffel was clearly the better QB. Terry Dean would get rattled and once it started off badly for him, he would keep digging that hole ever deeper and wouldn't stop til he reached China.

That description fit Doug Johnson pretty well too.
  8. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Why isn't Murphy considered as good as an athlete as Driskel? He was recruited as an athlete from what I remember by at least four or five division 1 schools. We considered at one time converting him into a corner. He runs a 4.4 40. He's very shifty, that's evident from his play. He throws a pretty ball. Is it a rocket? No, but you dont want a rocket for most passes.

So again, why is Driskel considered the better athlete? Because he's bigger? That doesnt make him a better athlete, just a bigger player.
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    Probably not. I don't put that loss on JD. This year however, I have no doubt we would be.
  10. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    No Rex = no sec title in 2000 either, Jesse has some pretty crummy game that year too, the blow out in Tallahassee was his game.

You also forget 1993 where Dean bailed Danny out vs Georgia and led the almost comeback in the fsu game.
  11. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I disagree. I cannot think of a game we lost in 2000 in which Palmer started that we would have won had Grossman started.

It is true that Wuerffel was having trouble throwing a wet ball vs UGA in 1993 and Terry Dean did indeed bail Wuerffel out that day.
  12. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Now THAT would have been funny ...

[​IMG]
  13. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    JD's bigger maybe not quite as fast, but probably has a stronger arm. Don't think he's as accurate though. Looks like a wash. I'm amazed at TM's accuracy, and even under pressure, he hits his target.
  14. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    [​IMG]
  15. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The first part is correct. I think the coaches were happy with our wins last year and thought JD could become a more complete QB with more time/training.

HOWEVER, I disagree on the second part. JD has had periods of QB lucidity mixed with long stretches of head scratching plays. He has not shown the improvement one would expect from game to game and certainly from a Junior. Admit it, when JD dropped back in the red zone, you winced. Think the players don't see that? This is not about having to notice JD's limitations in practice - they were on full display in games last year and this year. I think many coaches would have benched JD during the Miami game.

But they couldn't sit JD because Murphy did not play versus Toledo! The coaches should give younger guys the opportunity to play for many reasons when we are playing inferior opponents. I think the reasons Murphy did not play against Toledo is the coaches were still not satisfied with where JD was, but this left the coaches painted in their conservative corner.

Summary is I do not think CWM uses the bench as a motivator as well as he could....
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    MusCHAMP was quoted, as in said on live television in 2011, that Tyler Murphy was not a viable option. Period. This despite the stinker of an offense Driskel, Brissett and Brantley ran that season.
  17. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +127
    When there was finally no else who knew the offense but he and the starter. They sold this kid short, period. And I hope it's an isolated incident to Murphy simply being a "gamer" and not something else that could show itself at other positions where player selections also seem odd.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. akaijenkins1

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Seabud basically gave the short version as I see regards CWM and the offensive personnel.
  19. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    I'd like to see this quote verified from a legitimate source. People have said this over and over again, but that doesn't make it true.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    What if he wasn't a viable option in 2011? How does that correlate with him being "deemed incapable of playing" now? What if the staff actually has helped him improve? Or if Murphy himself has busted his tail to get where he needs to be?