Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    This type of thing happens all the time. Even in the pros. Hard to sit down a QB that won 11 games in his first year as a starter and clearly has a ton of talent. The coaches are not fortune tellers, they had no idea if Murphy could come in and lead this team in a real SEC game. They knew JD could. They are not going to take that risk just because the fans are upset about the offense.

Can you imagine if they would have sat JD and then Murphy comes in and throws 3 picks because of his lack of experience? Then what? You have a starting QB with no confidence looking over his shoulder. Easy to say now that Murphy should have started from day 1 but no coach in the country would have taken that chance.
  2. GatorCrazy11

GatorCrazy11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Because the coaching staff was waiting for Driskel to mature mentally, including pocket presence and WR reads. Had that happened over the offseason the way a lot of people expected, there would be no question that he is better than Murphy.

IMO we didn't see enough of Driskel this year to throw him under the bus the way a lot of people are doing.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    Perhaps a bigger question would be how much of a shot did he get the year before when it was Jacoby, Driskel and him? Just from what we read, it didn't sound like he was really part of the competition. More of an afterthought. Perhaps the media/coaches were not fairly reporting the competition.

Seeing him play now, I have to think he probably should have been in the mix or taken more seriously when he was competing with the other two. Or perhaps he should have even prevailed???? It is a legitimate question and no coach is perfect at evaluating talent. Jeff was part of a very successful team last year.

I guess what I am saying is that there are so many black and white opinions on this on both sides. I think it's probably a bit gray.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Exactly. And I'll even go one further: Jessie was probably better than Doug, but Rex was probably better than both. And yet there he was on the bench. It happens. Even to the best of them.
  5. Nblue

Nblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    "Foolish" apparently means different things to you and I.

Terry Dean won us an SECCG against 'Bama in '93 and was a very good QB albeit inconsistent. DW was clearly better and did permanently win the job after that disasterous Auburn game but calling SOS "foolish" for playing Dean is, well, foolish.

Likewise, love Jesse Palmer but let's not go crazy. Jesse did not win us the SECCG in 2000 -- Rex Grossman did. Sure, Doug Johnson had terrible games in '99 but he was also a key part of my favorite game ever at Florida Field -- our victory over then #1 ranked FSU along with Noah Brindise.

I find it difficult to label either of the historic QB decisions you note as foolish. That said, if we want to look for foolish I wonder how Muschamp's decision to sit Kelvin Taylor in favor of Jones and Brown will look in the rear view mirror a few years out...
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    He doesn't have a single win since then!
  7. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    +1

We really need to stop picking QBs to favor over others. It should remain an open competition at all times. I believe Brissett in saying it was never a fair competition. Driskel and Brantley for some reason were favored by the coaches.

Murphy did look better in the 11 spring game, but it was written off because it was Murphy. When Brantley went down in 11 many of the UF players wanted Murphy to start.

Honestly Murphy should have been starting from 11 over Brantley and Driskel.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Neither Cam nor Brissett were "run off."
  9. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    Exactly. A lot of gray. It's always easy to second guess leaders when things don't go well.
  10. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Nobody has complete factual evidence of anything. It's a pretty solid conclusion, however.
  11. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Some people are practice players, and others are gamers. If Murphy didn't show it in practice, then there is no reason he should have played. Every once in a while a coach strikes gold and finds out he had a gamer buried on the depth chart. Spurrier always was able to identify the gamers because he had his QB's on a short leash and would yank them if they made mistakes. So the back up was always repped and had to be ready to play at crucial times during the game. If my memory is correct Wuerffel was a horrible practice player, but he was gamer.

The Patriots are one of the teams who struck gold with this kind of luck. Drew Bledsoe got injured, and then Tom Brady went out there and played like a gamer. The rest is history. People weren't calling for Bill Belichick's head or questioning his coaching ability because Tom Brady was a back up for most of his college career and pro career up to that point. He hadn't performed well enough in practice in order to give the coaches the proper evidence to conclude that he was capable of being one of the best NFL QBs of all time.

The St. Louis Rams had similar luck with Kurt Warner. This is nothing new, and Muschamp, Pease, and Co. aren't the only coaches who have ever overlooked a gamer QB. Good QBs are hard to identify because it is almost impossible to simulate the high pressure conditions of a game. A lot of times you really don't know what you have until your QB is in the game during a critical situation where the game is on the line for your team. Only then will you be able to see what kind of decision maker a QB is when the game is on the line.

Just ask yourself if you were coach would you have the guts to put an entire game on the line by placing the team on the shoulders of your back-up QB? And would you do this just to find out if your back up (who is strictly worse than your starter in practice) is a gamer? I wouldn't, Muschamp wouldn't, Pease wouldn't, Saban wouldn't, Belicheck wouldn't, and you wouldn't either. The risk far exceeds the reward.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Well, it sounds more like you are suggesting it is black and white and that the staff inaccurately evaluated him and didn't give him a fair chance.

Gray might be to suggest that it is hard to evaluate 3+ quarterbacks at a time the staff did the last few years and give them all a chance to roll with the 1s on offense. Seems to me that is somewhere between the coaches evaluated him wrong or the coaches didn't give him a chance and the coaches did evaluate him properly in practice or Murphy is a "gamer" or something along those lines.
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    gray is a color people dont like around here
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    I think it could be mixture of any set of circumstances is what I'm getting at. It could be he did not get a fair chance, it could be he did not get evaluated accruately, I think it could be that he is a gamer.

Simply suggesting that another question could be asked does not directly imply that it is one's opinion. It merely shows that it is another possibility. Right?
  15. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Hindsight is a marvelous attribute.

Hey, talent evaluation is an art;not a science. Not even the kind of science that predicts climate.

Just a few names to ponder. Tom Brady, what 6th rd pick? Curt Warner. The list of overlooked potential stars, and overhyped busts could be very long. And we are talking about pro level evaluators; the smartest boys on the street. Right?

Good for Murphy. Thank you TM for all of the hard work that helped you to be ready when needed. Thankfully you were here and ready when the need and opportunity coincided. Hopefully you continues to perform at this level. The Gators needed you; and continue to need you.

Oh, and thanks to whatever coaches helped you to be ready; and had the confidence to put you out there.
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Plank, I think the difference here is that we've had several opportunities for the Brady situation to play out and somehow Murphy has been passed over for everyone until now. Given how well he's played, the past decisions seem strange.

In '11 when Brantley was hurt, both JD and JB as true true freshmen got cracks at it before Murphy. In '12, when JD was hurt, once again JB got a crack at it before TM. In both those scenarios, neither JD/nor JB (as true freshmen, not JD last year) played well enough to seem to warrant a glaring preference over what we see from TM now. Read this report from the '11 Spring game as a window in to how these guys looked back then, it paints a favorable picture of TM in live game action going back to even then. Last year, when JB replaced the injured JD for one game, he too looked nowhere near as good as what we're seeing from TM.

So yeah, I don't think this is similar to what happened in Boston because the staff had numerous times to evaluate TM two seasons prior and both times deemed him not as good as rawer, much greener guys. Why that is is a bit perplexing (and given the situation with our RBs currently is a bit unnerving).

The there's this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tyler Murphy should've been starting Game 1!!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gatornation&amp;src=hash">#gatornation</a></p>&mdash; Lerentee McCray (@maKrazy47) <a href="https://twitter.com/maKrazy47/statuses/381541817952387072">September 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>When John Brantley went down in 2011, I was told MANY <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UF&amp;src=hash">#UF</a> players wanted Tyler Murphy starting over true freshmen Brissett and Driskel.</p>&mdash; Zach Abolverdi (@ZachAbolverdi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi/statuses/381541284898275328">September 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  17. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Sure. That's fair, provided you grant the possibility of points on both sides.
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    maybe he wasn't ready until now?

Muschamp on #LSU QB Zach Mettenberger today

"We're all in an instant coffee society." Said different players mature at different ages. #Gators
  20. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    I think I did??? I noted that Driskel was part of a very successful team the year before. I think he is talented and has a ton of tools.

On another note and given what I've seen in the last three games, If I were picking sides I'd take Tyler Murphy.