Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 183gator

183gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    or at least play the second half of Miami game, when Driskell was injured and ineffective
  2. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I love that we have so many quaterback experts on this forum! Able to recognize talent and maturity and pocket presence and "it", at every turn. You know, I'm about to write Foley and suggest that he fire all the coaches, since he can get coaching for free from this forum.
    All kidding aside, I would really like a spring game that's actually a game, not a glorified scrimmage, or a practice. A real game like it used to be. In which quarterbacks and running backs and receivers get real turns with the first team under real game situations. I know, injuries and all that, but the more you try to avoid injuries, the more they happen. It will help the coaches and the fans to see the players under real game situations.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,467
    You make good points, no doubt.

FWIW, in 2011 Spring game, we saw how the QBs we had performed under pressure because the OL couldn't block anybody. Murph was the only one I recall having any ability to deal with it, at the time.

It was just one moment in time, but his performance now shouldn't be too surprising.
  4. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Please let Mr Foley know that grumpy_gator is available for consultation and I want to know why Skyler isn't starting yet. Thanks.
  5. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Meyer, Weis and Pease did not see the potential throughout his early career. Maybe the potential wasn't evident.

I mentioned on another thread that one thing has changed. Intensive coaching from Chris Leak that may have started in the Spring, but certainly started in August. He has a lot of the Leak characteristics, with better mobility.

I did not mention another, he was the apparent #2 in the Spring, so he got more looks there, and he got intensive snaps in the first 8 days of camp.

Before the Spring he was behind Jacoby Brissett. I wonder who here ever thought that he was a better option than Brissett and Driskel? In fact, I distinctly recall many wails and gnashing of teeth at the thought of Driskel going down and the Gators relying on Murphy. Those doubters seem to have faded into murky waters of the swamp.

As for changing in the middle of the Miami game, that is simply madness. For most of 2012 Driskel took very good care of the ball. Burton took good care of the ball. Who could anticipate the next turnover?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Muscahmp has said multiple times he didnt see a big change in Tyler until fall camp when Jeff was out