Honest Question - Why was murphy not the starter from day 1??

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 7, 2013.

1. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    ok, after watching all the offensive possession at: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=273657

why was murphy not the starter from day 1?
    had he not shown well in practice?

from what we have seen so far, there is no question he is a better qb than JD. No slap on JD, but the kid is good. great pocket awareness, gets rid of the ball, is fast, looks down field.
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,206
    Because the program had more time, coaching, and resources invested in Driskel.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,762
    Probably because he wasn't the best player in practice. And JD has higher physical upside.

Likely both of those.

Some players are better in real game situations. Maybe Murph is one of those guys.

To me, he looked like the best player in the 2011 Spring game. I think the "gamer" aspect has been there.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    1. I am guessing that he didn't show enough in practice to convince the coaches.

2. Too early to say that he is "no question" a better QB that Jeff. We did win 11 games last year, and Jeff had a lot of good games. Murphy has started two games and has not yet faced any of the better teams in our conference.

But it really makes no sense to even debate that because Jeff is hurt and Murphy is the QB. Let's just get behind him and hope he can keep playing well. It's a long season.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Yep. Simple as that. Jeff is probably better in practice and he had higher upside.

It's really hard to determine who will produce in games when the QBs wear non-contact jerseys in practice.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well I'd say you might want to look at your evaluation process. If it's so hard to compare talents, even when the margin is as wide as it looks, then maybe the process is flawed and they should be doing more in practice.

Remember the coaches had a whole off season last year and couldn't pick a single qb and started them both in week one, which was kind of absurd.
  7. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I think JD plays great with that non-contact red jersey on. I think he presses hard in real games and forces it. Murphy is definitely more poised in the pocket and throws a lot of nice touch passes. Jeff would rather scramble.
  8. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Hindsight is always 20-20 and although it is pretty clear that Murphy was overlooked, and was likely the better of the two, he also was a QB from the previous regime, whereas Driskel was brought in under Muschamp. Should that make a difference? No. But you would be crazy to think it doesn't. Either way, he's our QB, it's better to have "discovered" him late, rather not at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Exactly. There are many cases of a backup coming in for injured starter to outshine him. You simply can't predict them all for many reasons.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. uf19er

uf19er New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Murphy has looked great but Driskell did go 11-2 last year. Also, he beat LSU, USC, and FSU....So why would you bench Driskell comimg into this year? Just saying
    • Like Like x 2
  11. InagaddavidaGator

InagaddavidaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Jeff may have helped win those 11 games last year, but starting from Game 2 or 3, I never trusted him, never felt like the offense was in good hands with him...and I am not alone. With Murphy, I feel confident the game is being executed as it was coached (that Garo Yepremian pass against Arky notwithstanding). I do think a good argument can and should be made, however, for the coaches' inability or unwillingness to put the best talent on the field. We simply sit too many blue chippers.
  12. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    UF's QB legacy was supposed to read Tebow>>>Brantley>>>Driskel.....all the annointed "next great QB" due to HS accolades. They shouldve' stopped at Tebow

In the meantime, they ran off Cam Newton, Brissett and buried Murphy on the depth chart
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    This is really true. What has impressed me so much about Murphy is something you can't assess in practice: his pocket awareness. He has a great feel for where the rush is, moves well laterally to create passing lanes for himself, but also toward the line both freezing zone defenders and giving him a run option against man, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws accurate passes even when he isn't stationary. He has kept numerous plays and drives alive using his tremendous instincts. It will cost him eventually and will result in a couple of turnovers when a rusher gets to him from behind or he throws off balance, but that happens to everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    but to be fair, if we lose 3-4 to UGA, LSU, FSU and SC then Murphy simply shined against inferior opponents
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    This post seems to indicate that Newton was "run off" because the staff didn't think he was good enough and that Brissett was better than Driskel or Murphy. I don't think either of these are true.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I haven't trusted Jeff since he broke his leg.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    The implication of some posters here is that the coaches do not want to play the best players, have run off other players and are choosing starters based on high school accolades, which to me is so far from the truth to be laughable.

-- Muschamp has shown he'll play the best players regardless of their freshman status and even start them (see Fowler, Bullard, VHIII, Humphries).

-- Newton was not run off, and that was before Muschamp anyway. Brissett hasn't shown anything to me that makes me think he would be better than Driskel, but he chose to leave, which now appears to have been a stupid move. But if he had stayed he would be playing in front of who? Tyler Murphy. Why? Because TM had not proven to the coaches that he was better.

-- To say that we should be playing Taylor over Brown and Jones, however, is based solely on what? His high school accolades. If he had shown in practice that he is better than the guys in front of him, he'd be playing.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    Heh.
  19. Doobz

Doobz Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Because Driskel was a 5 star and Murphy was a 2 star. Murphy was recruited as a career backup. Coaches never gave him a second look because they thought he wasn't as good as JD and JB. Sad, but true.
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    That's absurd. We lost 4 games the year Tebow won the heisman. That was certainly no reflection of his performance. We can lose those games with Tyler playing well, just like we won some last year when JD was pretty much non existent, like LSU.