Honest Goal...I would like to win 2 of the big 4

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gymgator, Sep 22, 2013.

1. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    @ LSU & @ SC are just tall orders for a back up QB, but if Muschamp can finally win one in Jax and go undefeated at home with a win over the tally injins, then this was a good season for a team that lost their 5th Yr WR, Starting RT and returning Starting QB.

The Miami loss, will haunt me for years as a S FL Gator, but maybe ESPN guessed right and we get to kill them in the Chicken Sandwich Bowl. That would make my year.

Am I hoping for too much???
  2. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    I think we can win all 4 - Our D is as good as last year. Let's see how this plays out with Murphy. If he progresses and is as competent as he looked agains UT, IMO we have a great chance against our remaining teams.

The Noles have a good one in Winston, however he will not face a D as relentless as ours. USCE is tough to read. I see nothing on their team that gives me great concern, aside from their coach. Georgia's D obviously is not up to last year. If our O can have a good game without turning the ball over, we win.

LSU will be a tough test for us. We just have to see how TM progresses in the next couple of weeks.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Our defense definitely makes two of the four winnable. To be honest, I am less worried about Murphy than I am about the running back position. We just aren't producing regularly enough there to take the pressure off the quarterback. Granted, the way teams are playing us in the box means we may not get 5-6 yards a pop every play, but it does mean we should be getting more yardage when we do reach the second level.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont think you are. If we limit the TO's we can play with anybody in the country. I dont really worry about the RB's they are what they are I am more worried about the Oline.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    If we can get Taylor rolling we can be a lot more effective on offense. He can be a dynamic player.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    Not as impressed with LSU as you might be.
    I thought lowly Auburn held their own against them.
    Football is a game of matchups and team momentum.
    Our defense is stronger against the run than the pass.
    Murray is a much better QB than Mettenberger will ever be.
    Why do you think the poodles will be easier than SC or LSU?

South Carolina should be the easiest to win among the 3 SEC teams.
    The Cocks rank at the bottom or near the bottom in several statistics:
    -pass efficiency defense
    -punting
    -punt return average
    -kickoff returns
    Plus...they have only 5 rushing TDs compared to LSU (12) or Ga (9).
    Their entire team identity revolves around overrated Clowney.
    And smarter teams have already learned how to deal with him.
    Murphys' quickness and decision-making should neutralize him.
  7. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    If our defense stays healthy and Tyler Murphy performs the way he did yesterday for the rest of the season we will win the East.
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,134
    Very fair thread. Following yesterday's game, I was thinking two out of four as well.

If I had my choice, I will take wins over Georgia and FSU - obviously.
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,072
    Two of the four would be fantastic.
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    We have maybe the best D in the country and we are Florida....I want to win all 4, not settle for mediocrity. D wins championships. 1998 UT was nothing on offense yet won a NC. When you have the top D you never know. Also I think people are really gonna be surprised with Murphy over the rest of the season.
  11. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    The negative of playing the TOP, ball control offense: you're more prone to upsets.

The positive of playing the TOP, ball control offense: you're nearly impossible to blow out.

We'll have a chance to win every game we play this year. And we should be in position to win or steal a win in the fourth quarter against any of the big four. That's assuming our defense stays relatively healthy and our offense doesn't have another turnover circus.
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    Exactly. This is the trade-off that Muschamp's brand of football brings us. We will be in all of these games.
  13. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Concede nothing.

Up until yesterday, I consistently read on this board that Tyler Murphy would be a disaster. I have always taken everything I read with a grain of salt.

The key is to get a healthy, functional OLINE.
  14. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I don't think UGA is easier to win. I just think that the other two are on the road and we haven't lost 3 in a row to UGA since the 80's.
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    While the idea behind this Fulmer-style football is sound fundamentally, our coaching leaders are clearly not.
    If Muschamp desires a power running game, where are the linemen and power running backs to fuel it?
    Why would you then hire a Charlie Weis (passing guy) or a Brent Pease (spread guy) to operate it?
    I don't see any great planning or genius going on here with any of these hires or approaches.
  16. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    We have some power RBs in Jones and Brown...they are big and powerful....but sadly they aren't that good. Taylor might be legit- we will see what he has in the next few weeks. Lane is RSing but he could be a good one.

The OL is good at run blocking..it is pass blocking they struggle at. As for the OCs, I think Muschamp understood his mistake in hiring Weis and his finesse offense...but remember Saban went after Pease as well.
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    I'm not saying that this is the best brand of football for us (see my extreme opposition to the idea that value of time of possession is a useful aim on the TOP threads), but I think that UFish's post accurately describes the trade-off with our current MO: won't blow people out, won't get blown out. It is a double edged sword, so I don't know that this will be a net positive, but it will likely keep us close against superior teams (which may or may not be on our schedule).
  18. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
  19. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    To this point, factoring in where we play, imo the level of difficulty appears to be:
    LSU
    UGA
    USC
    FSU

I have no idea what's going to happen. Thrilled with Brown, but Jones needs to come on strong. The Oline needs to settle and gel. Hold on to the ball. Find out who stole Kyle's mojo. Take our shots when we got them. Start strong. Own the red zone.

Simple ain't it?

Seriously - the D has the power and the confidence. The O has shown a crisis of confidence. Maybe that will turn around. I think some of it comes from the top down, being afraid to call aggressively. Sometimes you gotta let a hungry Gator eat.
  20. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    I'd place South Carolina above Georgia for level of difficulty. The Cocks have a bye week before playing us and that's a true road game as opposed to a neutral site.

Jones almost seems like too big a target to me. He's great in the fourth quarter when defenses are worn down but he's not hitting the hole the way we need him to. I'm assuming he's still not at full strength.