Homosexual Columnist Blasts Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Nov 18, 2013.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +336
    I think he has a point.

"I was arrested once for chatting up a big, burly member of the Vice Squad, wasting his time chasing gay guys like me. Every time I hear proponents of Same Sex marriage telling me that they want the state to endorse and validate our relationships I think of that night. I want to keep the state out of my relationships, and, as much as possible out of my life.

Same Sex Marriage is not some warm fluffy equality bunny, it’s a bare-faced state power grab. The state gets to entirely remake marriage, not as the man/woman/child model we’ve inherited from 10,000 years of history and across all cultures but as an anything-goes irrelevant partnership agreement between adults.

Only a man and a woman have children despite every fantasy the gender-busters want us to believe. Every child has a right to that natural life. Same sex marriage asks us to ignore reality and children’s rights to a mother and father. Marriage will be made irrelevant because this re-make says that, for the first time, children and parenthood has no natural place in marriage. If you have children, the kindly, benevolent state will set your relationship with them.

If you don’t want a gay marriage don’t get one? Everyone gets one because, in the eyes of the state, marriage will be about adults, not about a man and a woman committing to making and raising children.

Politicians love us to believe we belong to some victim class so they can save us. I’m a gay man, I am not a victim and I reject this notion that traditional marriage should be drastically altered for some fantasy. Yes, gay people need to give legal force to their relationships but for that we have civil unions, not a one size fits all marriage, emptied of meaning to suit the romantic whims of adults."

http://thickerthantalk.blogspot.com/2013/11/this-piece-was-published-in-irish-daily.html
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,258
    I've been saying something similar all along: gay couples should be granted the legal benefits of marriage (right of survivorship, joint taxation, power of attorney, etc), but do this in the form of a civil union.

Make civil unions open to gay or straight couples...but only straight couples can apply for marriage licenses.

There'd be no discrimination there...no inequality. AND you don't trample on the religious beliefs of millions of Americans.

Of course, this common sense solution will be rejected though and several will probably label me a bigot/homophobe. Because, as the author alluded, "gay marriage" has precious little to do with gay rights and everything to do with subjugating religious beliefs to the state and it's most vocal proponents.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    This...
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    I agree with most of this, however I would add getting the language "marriage" out of all state and federal documents. Leave the definition of the word to society at large. Let the state (state and federal) concern themselves simply with protecting the legal rights (probate, power of attorney, tax status, etc) granted by the contract between two consenting adults.

But we know why it's framed the way it is. MONEY. Specifically for the non-profits on both sides who push this debate and who see Gay Marriage as a new revenue stream. Notice how the USSC kicked the can down the road? Both sides were probably cheering that move as it will ensure plenty of contributions for years to come.
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    So civil unions arent endorsed by the state?

And by his logic, those over breeding age shouldn't be able to marry because they can't have children either?

Just seems to me he is making a religious argument cloaked in an anti-statist one.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    yep.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    Two same sex couples never can breed, so I don't see how you could have come up with that "logic".
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Neither can 2 60-year-olds (Or, at least, most. . . ). I think that was his point.

Of course taking out the loaded word "marriage" solves much of this, though it does deny both sides any opportunity to extract a political pound of flesh from the opposition. And, well, that IS what our political system is all about, correct?
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Would two 30-year-olds only get a marriage license if they promised to breed?
  10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    The premise behind government-endorsed marriage was to give some people the incentive to marry and have children, and supposedly live more moral lives with the advent of raising kids. Marriage as an institution has been steadily eroding to where the "raising children in a moral environment" angle is pretty much gone. And so the push for "equal" rights for same sex relationships.

The appropriate response to these steps is/was to...stop government-endorsed marriage or any other social engineering efforts. Leave that between the people, God, and whomever who wants to bless them in a formal ceremony.

But we don't stop with the shenanigans, we just press more.
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    The reason?

$$$$$$$$$

Just look at the financials of the organizations on both sides of this. Sensible resolution (as you and I suggest) = pink slips. Yes, it really is that simple.
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    By the author's logic, post-menopausal women, and adults with known reproductive issues shouldn't be allowed to get married either. A woman 60+ and any man has the same chance of their relationship producing children the natural way as any gay couple. Yet, that 60+ woman has the right to marry a man in prime child rearing age, and the gay couple does not!

Ad for separate civil unions, in theory, sounds good. But when has separate ever been equal in any time in history? If you believe gay couples should have equal rights, then there can't be any separation between gay marriage and straight marriage, because history has shown time and time again, separate is never equal. Civil unions are a nice thought, but won't work.

Now, in theory, you could make all marriages state civil unions, but that also creates headaches. I've been married 16+ years and was married at a resort by a JP--no religion involved. If you retro-actively make my marriage a civil union, do I need to get a new Civil Union license?
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    Nothing 1/2 a Tylenol won't solve. We'll grandfather you and all existing "marriage licenses" in. That work for ya?
  14. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    To quote the great Adam Carolla:

"5 Reasons gays should be able to marry? 1, they pay taxes. 2-5, so they'll STFU."
  15. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Govt started endorsing marriage so that people would live moral lives?
  16. reformedgator

reformedgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Yep!
  17. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179
    Great quote (I listen to Carolla's podcast daily).

My wife and I are devote, practicing Catholics. My neighbor, who is a fantastic neighbor, is a lesbian and her partner often stays the night (or weekends).

How is the world will my family or I be affected if my lesbian neighbor ends up marrying her partner?

I guess we'd have to buy them a wedding gift -- that's the only thing I can think of.
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    That is correct. The reason why government got involved, not the reason why marriage is an institution. The "big thinkers" saw that man could go two ways, be selfish and malevolent or be communal. Somehow the thinking was that some people were fence-sitters and needed some encouragement to get married and then nature would bring kids into the fold. And since these people are tied to the love and care of their kids they would move towards the things that they were used to from their own parents (or at least what other parents were doing). And so we have a social engineering effort where spirituality should rule.
  19. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    that's been the unanswered question from the beginning.
  20. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179
    Here's what I don't get either....

People are going to be gay no matter what anyone says or does.

As a society, wouldn't we rather have homosexuals in long-term, committed, monogamous relationships over being promiscuously single?

You'd think that even the most ardent fundamentalist would rather live next door to a married gay couple than a single gay dude that brings back a new conquests every other night. Right?