Holder's DOJ sues Louisiana to stop school vouchers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wygator, Aug 27, 2013.

1. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Wouldn't you agree that also the idea of more money solves the problems for those schools is troublesome?
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +974
    I've not lived up north since I was a young child.....been in the south where I've lived and taught ever since. Down here, we've not had the strong union rep and it's associated benefits.

I support the idea of school choice....even took advantage of it when my youngest was in elementary school. Choice was eliminated within the public system due to the drastic budget cuts when Rick Scott became gov. We had a pretty good choice system but had to cut it because of the transportation costs. In FL like LA, Pub governors and legislators have severely cut public education while supporting private charter schools. In FL, for example, for the last couple of years, funds to repair or build new schools was eliminated and those funds provided to charter schools to add on or build new private charter schools. I don't believe it's a matter of budgeting....it's a matter of priorities and business interests. There are billions of education dollars here.....very tempting for private for-profit charter corporations.
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,971
    The problem is that in some cases more money is a crutch as to why the schools are failing, when the problem is deeper than that. It's almost become a mantra/excuse as to why a school is failing, versus curriculum, test preparation, classroom prep, teacher absences (my kid had 2 classes where she saw subs more than the teachers), broken-up school schedules (in-service days, superintendent workday, half days, etc). It's easier to say "well we need more money". EVERYONE needs more money. You don't have more money then you need to find ways to make it work.
  4. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,106
    Not sure I follow, nana. My son attends an out of zone school in our district, and has for two years. My daughter attended an out of zone school for all of her elementary years. That was our choice, as parents, to have them attend a different school. And I know we aren't the only parents in our district who have their children attend different schools than they are zoned for. I have a close friend who's an administrator at a local K-12 school. Almost all of the school choice requests in our district are approved.

So, how did Gov Scott eliminate school choice?
  5. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I call complete BS that education funding has been "slashed." We've all seen the charts showing that education spending has been skyrocketing for more than 20 years - a huge increase occured under W btw. In FL, we spend something like $11,000 per year per student. My children attend a tremendous Episcopal school, and its tuition is less than that - and, no, the parish does not fund the operations of the school. Plenty of money is there; the problem is how the money is spent.

And, Nana, most private schools are indeed not-for-profit. I can imagine there being a for-profit school, but I have never known of any. And, I'm not "just" a parent. I am chair of the school and have attended/conferenced with many groups from around the state.

I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can't understand those who apparently believe "if it's broke, don't fix it." The saying that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" similarly applies here.
  6. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +974
    We have home zones unless a child is going to apply for and attend a magnet or fundamental school, they're encouraged to remain in their home zoned school. Applications to move to another zone is difficult and often turned down.

Our school choice involved a lot of busing.....with Scott's cuts, transportation had to be cut back effectively eliminating school choice as we knew it.

To illustrate Pinellas' stance on this.....before Christmas a couple of years ago, a high school student was a bit late for her bus. The bus saw her but drove off. To try to catch the bus, she darted out to cross 6 lanes of traffic. She was hit and killed. The first statement made by the superintendent was it was her and her parents' fault because she chose a school outside her home zone. The message was that she was wrong to attend an out of zone school and if she'd attended her zoned high school, she'd have never needed to ride that bus.
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    Sounds like a county stance, not statewide. And with idiots like the superintendent you paraphrased running things I'm not sure how you can blame the state.
  8. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +974
    It's both.....the state cut funding so the county ended school choice due to re-prioritizing transportation funds to the classroom.

This superintendent was an idiot. Her statement cause quit a backlash.....with that statement and other questionable moves, she was fired a year or so later.
  9. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,106
    I'm confused on this as well, nana.

The legislative effort failed in the House subcommittee over a year ago. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/grade...schools-funding-measure-fails-house-committee

http://jacksonville.com/news/florid...er-florida-charter-schools-could-lead-bargain
  10. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,106
    Well, I'm not sure about your district, but we don't have the same issues in my district with school choice. And the process here is hardly difficult. Both of my children attended schools out of zone because it was our choice, and one still is. So I'm not sure it's either accurate or fair to say Scott eliminated school choice in Florida. That simply isn't true.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,089
    I'm betting most of those "disgusted" with Jindal on this issue are those who benefit from the status quo...and it isn't the students.