Holder's DOJ sues Louisiana to stop school vouchers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by wygator, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,076
    What alternatives are there.....education doesn't make money. It can only charge tuition which is something private/charter schools are moving away from in favor of grabbing a piece of the taxpayer education funds. How many non-profit private schools are out there?
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    About 80 miles to the east of you a small community chose to take control of their schools at the local level rather than the county school board suck monetary resources away from the classroom through a bloated beareaucracy.

They created a non profit public charter system which I believe is the first in the state.
  3. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Lwcharterscools.com
  4. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Lwcharterschools.com

Fat fingers left out the h
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524
    Nana you've used the words "slashed" and "starved" with respect to funding. I'm used to Congress claiming a10% increase was "gutting" a program just because the baseline was a 20% increase. "They've cut funding by 50%!!!!". No, they cut the increase by 50%. Is this the same pseudo-math?
  6. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Increasing racial segregation?

. http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2013/08/us_government_files_to_block_s.html
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    As i said, I do not know about those schools but I am dubious they have the same success rate as the private schools I'd look at. The parents, teachers, and students all tend to be highly invested at the private schools out here. Schools like Oregon Episcopal send virtually 100% of their students to prestigious universities and have reading and math skills that far out pace their public counterparts (even other privates for that matter).
  8. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499
    Has any Administration sued the States more than has the Obama Administration?

Why does Obama hate State's Rights?
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    Control freak/commie.
  10. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Nana, before you rant and rave about Jindal and Louisiana, keep in mind virtually every state with the exception of South Dakota, North Dakota and the "fracking" states, has had pretty tough budget decisions. It's the Obama economy which frankly sucks for most of the US. So Jindal did what he needed to do to balance the state budget, which is required. So, when you have a failing school, or failing schools, what do you do? Replace all the parents...not possible...or give someone else a chance to run the school. In business, you usually replace the leadership and give someone else a chance.
  11. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,129
    Well I'm in NY. I have a democratic governor and the mayor of Buffalo is a democrat. Most of the reps here are democrat. Buffalo schools are a joke/abysmal failure. The teachers unions are constantly fighting any kind of change, including having them drop their elective plastic surgery riders. I've yet to see another career where you have 2 YEARS of guaranteed maternity leave. The entire county has it almost a joke that they'll raise taxes every year "for the kids" and when the voters say no, they raise them anyways just before reaching the point where voter approval is needed. They threaten cuts in programs, that they can't afford staffing, etc - our area can somewhat afford it. Downtown Buffalo residents can't afford those constant increases.

EVERYONE has been trying to balance budgets in hard times and frankly I applaud the option to being able to send your kid elsewhere. I think it'd be an ADVANTAGE to the children in schools that are failing/at risk to be able to go to a different school where they can do better academically and get a better chance to dig themselves out. Since not all the parents can afford this option, vouchers/scholarships to go to other schools would be great - reward the kids for their hard work in school by getting them out of the bad schools.
  12. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Anti school voucher sentiment by dems, amounts to nothing more that an irrational fear that some money will be used to attend a religious based school.
  13. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    This is likely it. And those religious based schools might talk about abstinence and may be against....abortion. Oh the horror!
  14. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    One trouble with the whole notion of "failing schools" is the idea that if teachers just worked harder they can get a school full of kids from uneducated unstable homes where no one cares about education to achieve just like the schools full of kids with two college-educated parents involved in their lives.
  15. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,129
    Partly true - parents DO need to be more involved.

However, I've cited prior examples where the teachers tell the parents what needs to be done (IE, checking the teacher's page on the school web program for assignments) and then they don't follow through on their end, leaving parents in the dark as to what needs to be done. Other times, requests to see tests so we can work with our children on what they miss are dismissed or outright ignored. So the teachers need to be more welcoming of parents being involved, too, and not feel like they're somehow being second guessed or insulted when a parent wants more information, wants to have more input in their child's education.

The notion of a failing school, by the way, to me also once again illustrates teachers "teaching" memorization to do well on a test versus actually working through problems to get the right answer, or making sure the kids actually learn the material for a longer period of time. That is a fault of the districts and the teachers. Word problems, essays, written-out answers are nearly non-existent nowadays. Everything's multiple choice it seems. How does that teach the kid to think about a question/problem and come up with a solution?
  16. g8trjax

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Or gay marriage...or just about any standard govt school narrative.
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,129
    The ridiculous thing is that plenty of non-Catholic kids go to Catholic schools strictly for the academics. I went to Catholic school - we even had JEWISH students. Since Religion class is not a "core" requirement, they were given this as a period to study their own religion, or select a book to read and work on reports, etc. Their tuition rate was also different. NOT ONE OF US tried to "change" them or "convert" them. Nor did they try with us.

I realize not all schools are like this and some are more hardline, but there's no reason why you can't have an "approved" list of moderate schools of ANY background that can provide the academics needed for a child where a "public" school doesn't.

BTW, my parents couldn't afford Catholic school. This was all pre-voucher. I went on academic scholarships to each one of them. This meant I had to change schools sometimes, but there are things parents can do especially if there's financial need. People can't just assume that it's going to be super expensive and that they can't do it.
  18. g8trjax

Ratings Received:
    +410

What? Are you saying the KIDS may actually benefit? :whistle:
  19. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,076
    Some fracking states do have budget problems....look at what's happening in PA.

There are failing schools due to poverty, crime and poor parent involvement.....then there are failing schools that are created by deep budget cuts with the goal to then hand over billions in public school dollars to private, for-profit charter school companies.

Jindal has not hidden his priorities.....his focus is on moving from a public system to a private charter system. Citizens in LA understand what he is doing and are disgusted. There's plenty of articles out there that support all this.
  20. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,129
    I'm sorry but if the goal is to have fully educated children that can contribute in society, who cares if it's public, private, religious, homeschooling, etc? What about the parents who homeschool? Are they, too, undermining the educational system?

The goal is to have a well-educated populace and if the public schools AREN'T doing it, then yes by all means, pick a route that's better. Frankly a lot of schools are so bad off they can't even be fixed. Look at Buffalo. They are literally calling the surrounding districts asking them to take downtown kids from shut-down schools in their schools rather than fixing the problems. They had a charter school, and the state just closed it down.

Sometimes the situation is too far gone. Obviously the state has been putting money into the public system and if it's so broken and so dysfunctional that it can't be saved then why would he or anyone else put more taxpayer money into something that broken? It's like throwing all the money into a giant toilet and flushing it.