Hill

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JimBobTheClown

JimBobTheClown Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Kasey Hill will be pretty good by the end of the year. I think he will provide great depth. But Scotty may be the best player on a top 5 team.
  2. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    The late turnover by Hill was just as much on Prather. Even Wise mentioned in the radio broadcast that you don't pass the ball back in the backcourt against the press, unless of course you are trying to get it to a good foul shooter in expectation of an immediate foul. Prather put Hill in a position with that pass where he had to beat on ball pressure to get across the timeline while also being cognizant of where traps might come from. Hill took his eye off the ball to see the floor and made a mistake. It happens.

I actually thought Hill had a great second half (after a terrible first half). It was his most active defensive game all season in my opinion. He had a key rebound, a great steal, and got his hand on and deflected a couple of passes. He made a great rundown on that outlet pass for a terrifically difficult conversion and it is always nice to see him pull up for a three off that high ball screen and hit it. What Hill really needs to excel is more floor spacing around him and this team just isn't providing that with Prather at the four and Yeguete at the five. He doesn't have much room to operate and do what he is best at: breaking down man defense off the dribble, finishing in an empty lane or passing to open rim runners or out to the perimeter against weakside help rotations.

In that sense, Wilbekin is a far better fit for this offense. He is more consistent shooting the ball from the perimeter, both as an off ball spot up guy or on the ball screens, and he also has the mid range jumper to take advantage of clogged lanes.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I'm glad he hit that three, but that shot seemed way out of the flow of the offense, coming very early in the shot clock. He did hit it, but in future, he better not be missing any threes down the stretch with more than 3 seconds on the shot clock.
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,776
    I go back to my pat reply...The game was a teaching moment. Nothing wrong with that on this team.
  6. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I agree in general, but in that case, there was no trap. Kasey was simply in a one on one situation. If our point guard can't be expected advance the ball across the half court line against one defender because a pass was backwards, we are in serious trouble.
  7. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    PS I actually thought it was a pretty good defensive play, but still...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    I didn't say there was a trap, did I? I said he had to be cognizant of it because Bama in the press is likely trap anything deep in the backcourt. But you think it is common for a point guard to get a pass backward in the halfcourt at the opponent's arc when the ball had already been advanced to the baseline near the halfcourt line? Right. Just like the coaches draw it up. Of course the play was Hill's fault ultimately because he has to be more careful of the ball, but I guarantee you the greater point of emphasis in the film session will be on Prather's decision, not Hill's mistake.

These boards kill me with their obsessive criticism of individual kids without regard for context. Last night, Frazier through a terrible crosscourt pass against the press that resulted in a steal, but everyone obsesses over Hill's turnover, even though he was put in a much worse position. Yet, just a couple of weeks ago, many on here were pining for Frazier to get the ball on late inbounds plays because he was a better shooter than Wilbekin, who at the time was supposedly a 50% free throw shooter that couldn't close out games. Now, Wilbekin is icing games from the stripe and Frazier does just what the staff was worried about him doing in those situations--committing a turnover before he is fouled.

It would be nice if we actually tried not to extrapolate so much from isolated mistakes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    MFII makes me very nervous when he puts the ball on the floor. Theres no question Scotty is the better PG right now. Hill is learning every day. Hills footwork on his jumper is shoddy and seems to have no confidence in it. The one and done talk is silly.

We need another big to chip in when Patric has an off night and when we go up against a bigger/longer team.
  10. Zepgator

Zepgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    This has to be a joke. Hill is nowhere near ready for the big time. Everytime he has the ball I cringe. He will be good but he is overwhelmed right now. Scotty on the other hand is who I want to see handling the ball.
  11. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I didn't say that you said that there was a trap, did I? Double noogie no backsies.

Again, I already agreed that Prather's backward pass was unusual, but I just can't agree that Hill's turnover was "just as much on Prather", which you did say verbatim in post #43. Prather is not our point guard. Hill is. (And again, I am not trying to pile on Hill here. Like I also said above, it was a good play on defense.)

I totally agree about Frazier. I think he had one or two more poor decisions in the game as well.

I don't know how much other posters are extrapolating, but my only intention was to put more of the onus of that play on Hill vs. Prather. I certainly don't think that it is an indication that Hill is destined to be a poor player, but I also don't think that the play was equally Prather's fault.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Ummm, something about pot...kettle...black?

The idea that Kasey Hill has ever played a single defensive possession better than Wilbekin is frankly laughable. He is not half the defender wilbekin is. He did a better job guarding Releford? TROLLOLOLOL.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    Then why the **** did you open your post by saying there was no trap? Hill had no idea there wouldn't be a trap. He has to be aware of it (as does Prather in throwing the ball back without someone to help Hill), that is likely why he took his eyes off the defender. He has to look upcourt and see what is developing in front of him, and with time ticking in the backcourt he can't afford to be patient about it.

No, Prather is not our point guard, but he is a senior who as our leading scorer is going to be on the court often in late game situations against the press and he can't break the cardinal rule of not passing the ball backwards against the press. It isn't a huge deal; then again I don't think Hill's was, either. Others in the past by Hill have been more so, but this one to my mind wasn't precisely because he was the recipient of a bad pass in a bad situation.
  14. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Two great guards, something to feel good about. There is a reason we are leading the sec and in the top ten, these two guys running the show and two different style players. Difficult to change in a game situation for the different games these two bring to the gators. Speed and grit! I am so glad Kasey chose the gators and we don't have to guard his breakaways. Kasey is learning some things from Wilby that will be beneficial to his career. That is all good. As for the rest of the season, in the tournament, we will need both to continue their great play and striving to make the gators a great team.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I think what Reserina said about floor spacing is right on. If we had Chris Walker around the basket, it would help open things up with his offensive game. Thus Kasey would be playing what he is great doing, running with the ball and delivering the rock. His outside shot will come as he gets more comfortable in this offense with the current roster, Chris Walker would change the team dynamics with if he gets on the court, thus giving both point guards another big with an inside game which could help with the floor spacing giving other teams a fit. Kasey will be in the nba, hopefully not before giving us at least another year of his quick game.
  16. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379

SW didn't have a good game but he also didn't have an awful game. He managed the game beautifully down the stretch and seemed to be the guy who wanted the ball in his hands to go to the foul line.

Hill is making freshman mistakes, but the raw talent is obvious and at least once or twice a game he does something spectacular that only the special few can accomplish. It is obvious that BD has him on a tight leash and KH is responding. There is a lot of mental processing going on with him and there is no question it is taking away from his aggressiveness. In the long run, this is necessary and he will be a better player for it.

I'm excited to see what he is going to be next year running the show full time. It's going to be a night and day growth curve.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    We really need Walker sooner than later. We need him to get his feet wet very soon so hes not playing like a deer in headlights going down the stretch leading up to SEC tourney.

To me, Scotty looked like he didnt belong at UF as a freshman. He was so lost and looked overmatched/overwhelmed. That said, Hill seems well ahead of where I remember SW being as a frosh. SW has come such a long way. Hes a beast.
  18. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    First off, I said no backsies. Secondly, I didn't realize that continuing this conversation would make you so upset. I am not sure why it did that, but I didn't intend it. If you honestly want to know why I said mentioned that Kasey was facing a one on one situation, it had to do with this quote, which suggests that Hill was in a more highly pressured situation than a one on one:

"Prather put Hill in a position with that pass where he had to beat on ball pressure to get across the timeline while also being cognizant of where traps might come from."

I never meant to say that Hill's issue was huge deal either. All I mean to say is that it was primarily Hill's issue. Stuff happens. He's already a good player, but all players make mistakes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    Posting drama, outrageous generalizations, and paranoid accusations / imputations of the motives of other posters, always sucks.

Some people just need to get over themselves.
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    [​IMG]

:)
    • Funny Funny x 3