Hill, Doe Doe & C. Walker = 2nd unit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by JBSouthpaw, Jan 29, 2014.

1. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'll give you the defense and ballhandling for DeVon, and I'd even agree that he may be a bit overlooked on this team, but a good shooter? The kid's shooting 25% from 3 and 30% overall - those are abysmal numbers. As far as the KB comparison goes, Boynton was an inconsistent high-volume chucker and not a guy I would consider a benchmark outside shooter. In fact, I always wished Kenny would shoot less from outside and take it to the hoop more. Still, even with his flaws, he was a much better shooter than Walker - 32-33% from 3 isn't good, but it's at least skirting the bottom range of what most coaches would consider acceptable. 25%, though, is horrible - guys shooting 25% don't have any business continuing to put up attempts from deep. That includes both Walker and Hill, who's taking even worse shots - as far as I'm concerned, neither of these two need to take another 3 this year unless the shot clock's about to expire.

I do agree with you about the high expectations for Chris Walker, though. I think people should slow down on that too - we haven't seen the kid play a minute yet and don't have any idea how he'll fare against this level of competition. I would be surprised if he becomes an impact player for us this year - it could happen, but I'm not counting on it at all.
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    I was thinking the same thing. OMG!! That team would be something else. It is still something else but that would just be unfair if you ask me.
  3. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    As JJ Grey sings "Turn them loose". Hopefully most of these guys come back for next year, hone their games before they go to the Pros. All bigger, stronger, a very stout front line. with the three talented guards/wing coming in to go with the holdovers, we could be looking at winning it all. The stars are aligning!
  4. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I agree with Mistocles. Let's not forget Devon Walker contributions, and the fact that he has been a critical component of our overall team strategy coming off the bench. Even Kurtz at times has been highly productive. I also believe that Donovan prefers being 9-10 deep over 8 deep.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    I hope so, because as 108 points out, this lineup will probably be pretty close to that of the actual 2015 Gators.